25 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2009 8:39 AM by the_wine_snob

Scores without copyright is there such a thing?

par14

Hi I'am new to this so please be patient with me ( thanks in advance) I bought CS4 production Premium for my own personal use. I have no knowledge or experience of the industry & love video editing. I have found all the scores adobe provide FOC but there use is limited. I do find that the price and availability of new scores prohibitive for me as someone not in the business of making cash from doing this, however that said I am thinking of it but the cost of scores would be a stumbling block for me.

So my question is there a resource which provides a wider range of free scores (No vocals)  which could enhance my editing as I have learnt sound is extreamly  important in creating effects aswell as mood. And if I may ask how do you deal with this issue.

Regards Pete

• 1. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Pete,

There are many music "beds," that can be used as scores. Some are free, though many do require royalties. Usually, these royalties are quite minimal. Here are some SFX (Sound Effects) sites, that might offer music. Again, some will be free and some will be for sale, though the prices are probably minimal:

http://www.stevengotz.com/audio.htm
          http://www.findsounds.com/ISAPI/search.dll
          http://www.freesound.org/index.php
          http://www.a1freesoundeffects.com/
          http://www.ljudo.com/default.asp?lang=tEnglish&do=it
          http://www.sounddogs.com/
          http://www.soundsnap.com/

http://www.muvipix.com/ *

I cannot tell you which might have music, as I use these for pure SFX work.

Next, you might want to explore SmartSound. It offers royalty free music for a price, and with their software, you can tailor the music to your video in many ways. This ARTICLE will give you some background on SmartSound - both the programs and their music. There are other similar sources of music and accompanying software. I use SmartSound, so know little of the others. Note: SmartSound is not fully free, though some of their software is. The music will cost, but they have several "series" of music, and it could well be that their "Home Movie" music (22KHz) will cover most of your needs for minimal investment.

Last, there are other ways to "create" music. The most common is loopology. Programs like Adobe Audition and Magix Music Maker (plus others), ship with tons of loops, that one can use to create scores. The process is fun and the results can be astoundingly good. Along these lines, there are some composition programs, that work along the same lines. Some are quite simple, though some quite involved and sophisticated. The old Windows Music Maker (abandonware, and still available from some dedicated Web sites) is one of these. Maestro is another, and there are now some commercial programs that work on the same principles, like Band in a Box. MS has just introduced a new one into this mix.

Good luck,

Hunt

* For a subscription, Muvipix offers royalty free original music. You can audition it from the site for free, and can buy it piecemeal, or get it all with a subscription.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
            glaustin Level 1

Hi Pete

Welcome; I'm new here myself and have only just started working with Premiere (so I'll probably be driving everyone mad with lots of newbie questions). Having said that I've been editing for several years on other software and have found various royalty free music out there.

The one I use the most is SmartSounds' SonicFire Pro, which is a music software system. You can export your video clip to SFP and customise a SmartSounds music track to fit the length you need and alter moods and beats as well. You can use their music publically (e.g. on the web, or in a corporate vide, etc). The price of their CDs is about $99.00 but they run regular deals (anything from $25.00/ $50.00) so you can build a CD library of their music reasonably economically (compared to buying music rights).  You can check them out at: http://www.smartsound.com/index.html.

Another place you can get royalty free music is AKM. I've not used their products yet but they have many CDs available (around $50.00) and their customers include the BBC (a good indication their products should be good quality). You can find them at: http://www.akmmusic.co.uk/copyright-free-music.php.

Another possibility, if you're working on that special project, is to try somewhere like Ricall music for a track. You can buy the rights to some music there at around $120.00 (which is a lot for one song but reasonable compared to buying the rights from a recording artist at Sony, for instance).

I hope this helps although, of course, some people might just use whatever music they wanted in their personal home use movie because it is unlikely a copyright lawyer would knock on their door in those circumstances.

Regards,

Graham

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
              par14 Level 1

Well it looks like I will have my work cut out going through these suggestions not sure I fancy becoming a musician though! I can recognise a nice tune but make one well thats gonna test me Hummm, I think thats better left to more talented people than myself. I think I like the format that adobe provides scores and there implamentation within adobe software I just wish there was alot more choices out there.

thanks for help keep the suggestions coming from what I can tell this is close to alot of peoples hearts

Regards Pete

• 5. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                not sure I fancy becoming a musician though!

That is the beauty of SmartSound - it's written and performed by professionals. Now, it's not free (some of the software to use it is, however), but is a great investment. Note: the SmartSound QuickTracks for Premiere does not yet work in CS4, due to some major changes by Adobe. A new QT's for Pr is in the works and should be done soon. In the meantime, Sonicfire Pro (the ExpressTracks version is free with the purchase of any Strata Series disc) does even more, though it's a stand-alone program. The article that I linked to goes into most of the details on its use.

Here is another SOURCE, that I do not think I listed.

Good hunting!

Hunt

• 6. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Thanks for that link. I have added it to my SFX/Music URL's.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

It's decent stuff.  I use 'em all the time in my wedding vids.

• 8. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's another SOURCE, that was not on my original list.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                        par14 Level 1

Well lads what can I say I have my work cut out for me thanks again its gonna take me a while to get through all of this marvelous info and comments

1 further small comment as I am new to forums do I have to close this subject down or can it be left open is it good or bad practice to do so especialy as you have all come up with great idea's who gets the credit. Well I think everyone should!

Regards Pete

• 10. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Pete,

You just leave the thread alone. Now, I would ask that you do critique the sources provided to let us, and mostly others, who find this thread useful, know which sites you found most useful for your purposes. While I have used many of the sources, that I provided, I have to admit that I was mainly looking for specific SFX files, and seldom music. Your request is fairly common, so others can benefit from what you find.

Good hunting!

Hunt

• 12. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

Thank you. I've added this link to the list for next time.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                              par14 Level 1

WOW critique the sources provided now lets see, I have visited  a lot of the sites mentioned and they all have benefits' though the one which I am giving most consideration to has to be from yourself and others regarding smart sound & its software sonic fire pro 5. its licensing is limited to non broadcast by major sources, I am still looking into that. though I have to say I will keep an eye on this thread as everyone has come up with original sites to improve our sound options. thank you all

Regards Pete

• 14. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Pete,

Glad that you are getting some good sources. Yes, there are quite a few, and each has some differences, limitations and some pluses.

I am a big fan of SmartSound for many reasons. Now, I own most of their catalog. It used to be that I really looked forward to their "sales," as I could always pick up something that I needed for a good price. Lately, I have not been able to take advantage of a single sale, as I already own eveything on sale! They keep adding material, so maybe I can partake of the next sale... ?

I just saw a couple of tutorials (not the ones from the SmartSound site) on SmartSound and Sonicfire. I think I have them bookmarked someplace. When I find them, I'll post them too, as most can benefit from them. They were for older editions of both Sonicfire and Premiere, but the general stuff should still apply.

More later,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                                  glaustin Level 1

Hi Guys

I look forward to seeing your feedback on all the various sites we've suggested, Pete.

Thanks for the tutorial links also Hunt. Like him, I'm a big fan of SmartSound as I've found it a fantastically versatile piece of kit as well as being royalty free. It will be even better when they bring out the CS4 plug-in they're working on. Do keep us posted if anyone hears anything on that.

Regards,

Graham

• 17. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                                    par14 Level 1
                                    Hi Glaustin, I had already posted a reply sonicfire and smartsound are looking the best option and the vid tutorials on sonicfire site give a great insight plus there is a free 21 day trial version links posted
                                    enjoy
                                    Regards Pete
                                    PS: This site below to profesional for me! but it is extreamly fast & seems to be for professional only hope it helps someone out there
                                    • 18. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Pete,

Thanks for that link. I have added it to my SFX/Music URL list.

Hunt

• 19. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                                        par14 Level 1

Hi Hunt, I thought you may appreciate that one its way out of my league

though.

PS: if you get to bored with your collection I have a caring home for it.

Regards Pete

• 20. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Pete,

Not yet bored, but will keep that in mind.

Some months back, SmartSound had a big sale. Do not recall the exact details, but I did find about 5 discs that I wanted. The price was so good for an 8 disc purchase (but I had all the rest), that I ordered the 8 (three dupes for me), and then offered them on Muvipix (an AV community Web site), and all three were snatched up in a heartbeat, at the unit price for a purchase of 8. Seems that it was about US18/dic. I even paid the USPS shipping in the US for those, just to introduce others to SmartSound. They all loved their discs, and one was put into service the day that it arrived.

Next time something like that happens, I'll post to this thread first, just in case.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                                            par14 Level 1

Hi Hunt, Very gracious of you to offer, (sure others here will love that

idea) I must admit the licensing and purchase cost for a domestic user such

as myself seems to be prohibitive. somehow I need to gain some business

expertise in this area before splashing my cash it would be nice to be able

to support the cost with some work and or gain some industry experience

which unfortunately for me I have none other than editing my holiday vids

Regards Pete

• 22. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                                              glaustin Level 1

Hi Pete

We've all got into this editing lark via different reasons but spookily similar routes. Like you I started doing home video stuff then branched into videoing training courses and now I'm at the next step.

Unfortunately splashing the cash goes with the territory to some extent. The trick is "horses for courses": buy strategically for what you need (and maybe an eye on the step beyond) to get value for money. You've made a major outlay with Pr and the question is; do you need to go down the expensive royalty free music road at the moment for your needs, if it's only for fun and home viewing?

For instance, I've mainly gone down the route of licensed SmartSounds tracks, which more than adequately cover both my private and business stuff at the moment and give a very professional feel to what I do. Others will give you examples of how they went down different product routes. In my case, like you, I didn't have a whole bunch of money to splash the cash when I started and a couple of years after I found SmartSound. That was my cash safe route to soundtrack my videos. I bought one carefully chosen disc and got my money's worth out of that for a few months. Then I either downloaded individual tracks for specific projects (around $14.00) or carefully bought full discs myself , many during sales, (starting with a number of discs containing well-known classical music). Like Hunt, I'd quickly stocked a reasonable library without needing an overdraft or business loan. Obviously, If I move into major global corporate ads, to be beamed world-wide, that's a different matter and my sound track shopping and client bill would be tailored accordingly. But if you're just doing stuff for fun and private viewing at the moment, don't worry about expensive soundtrack music on the off chance a professional hears it.

Just remember, the editing (production) game is like the journey of a thousand miles; both start with a single step (or purchase) towards your destination. If you go about things in a planned way, you'll look back in a year or two and be amazed at how many resources you've acquired, here and there.

Regards,

Graham

• 23. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Graham,

I sort of hit this business with both personal and commercial all at the same time, as some of my still clients wanted video and knew that many decades ago, I had gone to film school.

With the SmartSound, I bought a few discs, just as you did - with full usability in mind. I also picked up a full library of there 22KHz music for my personal productions. Now, I let the commercial Projects pay for the Strata Series Libraries, and then sneak in a few sale discs for my personal stuff. Then one day, I got my sales notice, and realized I really couldn't buy anything!

I've found the SmartSound music to be great, especially coupled with Sonicfire Pro - that gives you something like 10,000 cuts per disc. Yes, the theme is common ot about 20 cuts, but with Mood Mapping, you can tailor it so much, that it's hard to tell that it's the same base music. One well-thoughtout Strata Series disc and Sonicfire Pro can sound like an entire library of music.

I just wish that Smartsound had not stopped doing the 44KHz cuts on the Strata Series discs, as I often used them with QuickTracks in PrPro, when I did not need the more involved Sonicfire Pro treatment. Oh well, decisions have to be made. I drop them e-mails, from time to time, asking them to bring back 44KHz Strata, but so far, nothing doing.

Thanks for your comments,

Hunt

• 24. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                                                  par14 Level 1

Hi Lads thank you both for your inspiring comments I have taken them to heart, but you are both right I need to turn this into a long term strategy not a quick fix.

I loved my last version of prempro 6.0 (10 year old at least) still have it on the shelf above my PC      it was the fact of buying a new Panasonic TM300 HD cam corder that I needed a new editing program so I bought the whole package CS4 Production Suite then struggled with its contents so bought 7  basic training DVD's to cover all subjects in CS4 P Suite to allow me to get the best from it. then my old PC which was dual core was not as I would like so I built a new high spec machine tailored to run CS4 effectively it cost me £5K but you should see it's render speeds they are outstanding. All this since Xmas so I should not be surprised that I need top of the range sonicfire Pro scoring edition, if I have done everything else for my own pleasure and am now considering turning this into a profit making venture further investment is a necessary evil      I will just have to research a way into this market place and of getting some practicle help tutoring would be nice.

PS: why is everything in dollars I live in the UK. once again thanks for the support.   

Regards Pete                  

• 25. Re: Scores without copyright is there such a thing?
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Pete,

If you have not discovered it yet, the PrPro-Wiki has a ton of great FAQ's, and tutorials. Much of what is new in CS4 and what it can do, will be covered there. You'll likely recognize many names in the FAQ's and the tutorials from this forum. Best of all - it's FREE!

Since Sonicfire Pro is not really part of the Adobe suite, though they can certainly be used in conjunction with each other, if you have any questions on it, you might want to post those to the Lounge here, or to a general (not necessarily Adobe-specific) site, like Muvipix. They have a main forum, Community, and a sub-forum on Music. You do not need to subscribe to use the fora, or even to download some of their music and Assets (for pay by the download), but with a subscription, you get it all for no additional charge. Think I mentioned it upthread.

One thing to consider, and I'm not sure of the best way to handle this - there are some Sonicfire users, who have weighed-in here. They might not hang out in the lounge, or at Muvipix, as I do. To get their input, you might want to post, say to the Lounge, but then update this thread with a link to that post. This will alert those other Sonicfire Pro users to go and comment in that new thread. I'll be happy to help, but were I you, I'd want as many users, as is possible helping on my thread.

Good luck,

Hunt