2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 9:29 AM by Jim_Simon

Can I delete items from my HHD's if I have them on DVD's?

zjimbo Level 1

I have a cluttered HHD with bits and pieces of projects clips. I was wondering if I deleted the files on my internal HHD and on my external HHD and then reloaded them as an Edited Project if I would be Ok. I don't want to damage any projects of course.

I am thinking about creating a small demo project and doing as I am asking. Then I can see for myself, BUT I still need the advice of the experts.

Thanks Jim

• 1. Re: Can I delete items from my HHD's if I have them on DVD's?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I'd look into additional external HDD space and use Project Manager to "archive" the Projects with their Assets. Doing this onto DVD-Data disks will require a spanning of multiple discs, unless you have very small Projects, with few Assets.

Now, you can use DVD-Data discs to make copies of your Assets, remove them from the HDD, but leave the full folder structure and the Project files on that HDD. Remember, when you copy these Assets back to the HDD, you WILL want to place those copies in the exact folder structure, where PrPro last saw them.

For me, the DVD-Data, even DL discs, is more work than a new external just for archiving.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can I delete items from my HHD's if I have them on DVD's?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I second Bill's comment to get another hard drive.  Video takes up space.  Best to accept that and get lots of it, rather than trying to work around the lack of it.