3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 3:24 PM by escouten

Modifying LR_tokenCustomString in Post-Process

JW Stephenson Level 4

I have a post-process modeled after the sample plug-in called CreatorExternalToolfilterProvider.  It is not complicated but I did want to insure that some of the settings that may have been selected in the export are compatible with my plug-in, specifically LR_format (limit to TIFF and JPEG) and LR_tokenCustomString (change to specifically named file preset or specify one outright).

Based on the manual and the sample plug-in, it seems that the best place to accomplish this is with the renditionOptions dialog first encountered after the postProcessRenderedPhotos function is called.

For testing, the export routine selected a template called "Scan Processed" which has the following underlying preset code:

s = {

deflated = {

{

"",

{

value = "image_name",

},

"_PR",

name = "Scan Processed",

presetType = "Naming",

},

"AgTokenPresets",

"restoreTokenFromArchivedState",

},

id = "9324F0EF-9FCC-4791-A390-2688AFD2789F",

internalName = "Scan Processed",

title = "Scan Processed",

type = "Naming_Tokens",

version = 0,

}

But I want to ensure the extension is instead "{FileName}_JWS" for exampple.

The sample code is:

function CreatorExternalToolFilterProvider.postProcessRenderedPhotos( functionContext, filterContext )

local renditionOptions = {

plugin = _PLUGIN,

renditionsToSatisfy = filterContext.renditionsToSatisfy,

filterSettings = function( renditionToSatisfy, exportSettings )

-- This hook function gives you the opportunity to change the render

-- settings for each photo before Lightroom renders it.

end,

}

My attempt at using this was:

local renditionOptions = {

plugin = _PLUGIN,

renditionsToSatisfy = filterContext.renditionsToSatisfy,

filterSettings = function( renditionToSatisfy, exportSettings )

exportSettings.LR_tokenCustomString = "{FileName}_JWS"

end,

}

It simply ignores my attempt to change the LR_tokenCustomString.  So I assumed I simply don't know how to access that particular data set.  So I thought I would put in a dialog box to see what was in that table/variable/object.  I replaced the assignment code with the following:

LrDialogs.message("Debug Stuff",exportSettings.LR_tokenCustomString)

Up pops the dialog box but it is blank, implying the LR_tokenCustomString is nil.

I tried many of the other Lightroom built-in property keys from the manual pages 50-51 and with this dialog box all I tried pulled up the appropriately expected values.

So ... the question is (finally) is there a special way to access LR_tokenCustomString and more importantly, a way to manipulate it via this "filterSettings" routine?

Thanks!

Jeff

• 1. Re: Modifying LR_tokenCustomString in Post-Process
          escouten Adobe Employee

As a post-processing filter, your options are relatively limited. You can choose whether or not to render a photo and you can modify the photo in place (i.e. to add a watermark or change metadata). Aside from vetoing the request, you are not allowed to modify what the destination plug-in has requested (i.e. you can't change file type or file name).

Is it possible, in your case, to move this functionality into a destination plug-in?

• 2. Re: Modifying LR_tokenCustomString in Post-Process
            JW Stephenson Level 4

Hi Eric,

When you ask if it is possible to move this to a desination plug-in, I assume you are referring to an export plug-in, and yes I can but since I am not a lua or LR programming expert, that is probably more effort than I will go through for this safety feature I wish to add to this plug-in.

I prefer also to keep this as a post-process as I would like to add it to a variety of types of export routines, including exporting to SmugMug which is code I cannot amend or duplicate.  The feature basically takes the rendered image, fixes a couple of EXIF items (camera, model), runs it through NeatImage if necessary and so chosen, puts it in a mirrored directory structure (if so chosen), then adds to the catalog (again, if so chosen).  The ability to change certain exportSettings would have allowed the plug-in to make sure certain settings are compatible with the post-processing, i.e., Neatimage needs either a TIFF or JPEG or it will bomb.  Oh well.

Just curious, page 34 of the manual shows a post-process filter changing the file type to a TIFF file.  I actually tried that for fun and although it does indeed change the file type to a TIFF file, it leaves the extension as ".jpg".  Nothing complicated about that

In any case, you have answered my question.  Thanks for the immediate response.

Jeff

• 3. Re: Modifying LR_tokenCustomString in Post-Process
              escouten Adobe Employee

The example you referred to (page 34) is intended to be used when the post-processing filter needs to receive a different file type. It is still expected to produce the original file type when its done.

The use case for this is something like Tim Armes' Mogrify plug-in, which could ask for a TIFF file and then generate a JPEG when its done applying its transformations in order to avoid introducing extra JPEG artifacts.