14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 3:11 PM by the_wine_snob

Error Codes and Exporting issues

Yukio Taira

Hi Everyone!

I hope someone here can help me on this very frustrating issue that I've had with Premier CS3.

Yesterday, I was encountering an error message and all it would say is "Unknown Error" and then shut down. This happened about every 30 minutes. I decided to uninstall and reinstall CS3 and I even downloaded the patches. The problem no longer comes up.

I have a 15 minute project that needs to be exported however, when I export it and it starts rendering it stops and says the same message OR it will tell me that there is not enough memory when I clearly have over 10gb of hard drive space allocated for it. I have also switched the rendering to "Memory" from "Performance" as it suggested. I have tried to export it as an AVI and MOV files. Both come up empty with the same message.

Has anyone encountered the similar situation?

Thank you for your help!

• 1. Re: Error Codes and Exporting issues
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Most people experiencing this need to get additional hard disk space. 10 GB is not sufficient. Get a couple of new internal SATA 7200 RPM disks.

it will tell me that there is not enough memory when I clearly have over 10gb of hard drive space allocated for it.

How do you mean 'allocated'? Like in a partition? That is a bad idea. Never partition disks. What is you disk setup?

• 2. Re: Error Codes and Exporting issues
            Yukio Taira Level 1

Well, the problem isn't memory because I've been exporting larger files than the one that I've been trying to for the last 8 months.

I just tried to export it via avi file and it came up as "error in movie: unknown error".

I will try to have more available memory and see if that works. Thank you!

• 3. Re: Error Codes and Exporting issues
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Well, the problem isn't memory because I've been exporting larger files than the one that I've been trying to for the last 8 months.

I would wager that you now have much more detritus on your HDD now, than you did then. Harm is 100% spot-on, when he says that 10GB is not nearly enough free disk space, and I would speculate that it is not defragmented free space. Even for tiny Projects, PrElements (the little brother to PrPro) recommends 40-50GB of defragmented free space. You have ~ 20% of the minimum.

You are also confusing "memory" with HDD space. Memory is RAM, and then also Windows Virtual Memory (Page File) which does end up on the HDD. Then there is pure HDD free space. Much of this can be used by that Page File, but much is also used by PrPro for its temporary files, and for the various files in your Scratch Disks.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Error Codes and Exporting issues
                the_wine_snob Level 9

After you have addressed the HDD issue, this ARTICLE might give you some tips on freeing up more Memory for PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Error Codes and Exporting issues
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

And let's not forget that the default Windows system restore area can eat up disk space like a hungry wolf.

• 6. Re: Error Codes and Exporting issues
                    Yukio Taira Level 1

Thank you all!

I will be clearing out some memory and I have even gone to my "C" Drive and deleted all the superfulous items.

I will update you all on if this has helped. Thank you again!

• 7. Re: Error Codes and Exporting issues
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I will update you all on if this has helped.

Please do keep us updated, and should you have any questions along the way, please ask them here. Someone will be able to step up and answer them for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Error Codes and Exporting issues
                        Yukio Taira Level 1

Here's a bit of an update.

I cleared up about 50gb off of my internal drive so that I can go ahead and output.

It gave me the same answer when I tried to export as a AVI DV and as a MOV file. It said "Error Compiling movie: Unknown Error" and that's it. No mention of memory or issues of exporting. It's just an unknown error.

I'm currently exporting as an "Uncompressed AVI File" to see if that helps.

Has anyone else experienced something like this in the past? Thanks for all the help so far!

• 9. Re: Error Codes and Exporting issues
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          "Error Compiling movie: Unknown Error" and that's it.

This often indicates a problem with the Project, or the Assets. Can you give us complete info on both your Project and all of the info on the Assets in that Project? There will likely be something in that data to help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Error Codes and Exporting issues
                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                            I cleared up about 50gb off of my internal drive

The singular in this statement is worrisome.

• 11. Re: Error Codes and Exporting issues
                              Yukio Taira Level 1

How do I get you that information?

The project itself includes about 20 sequences and many video files (this is for an auto racing series).

I tried to export via uncompressed avi file and an error message came up telling me to that there's not enough memory and to switch the rendering to memory rather than performance.

I had already switched that and it still shows as an error.

Anything else? Thank you very much!

• 12. Re: Error Codes and Exporting issues
                                Yukio Taira Level 1

Hahaha, well I actually just relocated files from my "C" drive to an external drive to make room. I didn't go in blindly and delete files.

• 13. Re: Error Codes and Exporting issues
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

For editing three separate physical disks are about minimum, one for OS & programs, one for media and one for projects & scratch.

To show us, make a screenshot of PR with the timeline and project open and post it here using the camera icon shown above when replying. For the rest, answer the questions Bill posed.

• 14. Re: Error Codes and Exporting issues
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    How do I get you that information?

When you start a Project, you choose a Preset. This should match perfectly to your Assets, i.e. the Video that you will use in that Project.

For the Assets, you can Capture from a video camera (which one?), Import existing media files (what kind and what is the info on them?), Import other Projects, or Sequences into the Project (what are those files?).

If you do not know the details of your media files, the freeware utility, G-Spot, can give you full into. This ARTICLE will give you some background on file types, such as AVI, MPEG, MOV and WMV's. It will also tell you a bit more about G-Spot.

This information will tell us a lot about what your problems might be.

Good luck,

Hunt