6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 9:10 AM by A.T. Romano

DVD Capacity in Copying Slide Show?

sanray19

I have created a slide show using PE 6, now I want to copy it to a DVD. It is a fairly large slide show from a Eurpoean trip. How can I determine if it will fit on a standard 120 min / 4.7GB DVD before attempting to burn it? I assume if it won't fit on a standard DVD that I can record it on a double layer 240 min / 8.5 GB DVD using Pemiere 4? Is that correct? Or, If I need to I can break the slide show into two portions each of which will fit on a standard DVD using Premiere 4? Is that right?

I apologize for asking such basic questions. However this is my first attempt at creating a slide show from still photos using PE 6 and then burn it to a DVD using Premiere 4. Previously I had only PE 4 on an older computer with which I was fairly familiar. Now, I have a new Vista computer which came with PE 6 and PE Premiere 4 installed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sanray 19

• 1. Re: DVD Capacity in Copying Slide Show?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Due to system overhead and the way a "gigabyte" is calculate, you really only have about 3.8 computer gigabytes when writing to a DVD

Since you don't mention the size of your file(s) on your hard disk, only you will know if it will fit

• 2. Re: DVD Capacity in Copying Slide Show?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I assume that you are referring to PSE 6 (Photoshop Elements 6), as there is no PrE 6. It skips from PrE 4 to PrE 7.

Now, if you do mean PSE 6, have you Exported the SlideShow and then Imported it into PrE?

What is the runtime, the Duration, of the SlideShow?

The 120 mins. Duration is but an outside guide (many use a Duration of about 75 mins. as the runtime that will fit on a DVD-5). The bit-rate (Quality) of the Transcode to MPEG-2 will determine the Duration that will fit onto a DVD-5 disc. The same with a DVD-9 (DL) disc. One can get longer runtimes, though with decreases in Quality, onto a DVD-5. The determination of whether the Quality is adequate is up to you. I've gotten 2.5 hrs. of Video onto a DVD-5 with adequate Quality. There is very little difference between the result and a shorter Duration. It's there, but hard to see. It will also appear worse, if one has a lot of quick motion of either the subject, or the camera. With a SlideShow, even with panning and zooming, it is likely not to be that big a problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: DVD Capacity in Copying Slide Show?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Sanray19

I understand that you are creating your slideshow in Photoshop Elements 6 and using Premiere Elements 4 to burn your slideshow on the Timeline to DVD-VIDEO . When all is said and done, this is my suggestion:

1. Put your DVD disc (4.7 GB/120 min) into the DVD Burner Drive Tray.

2. After your edit of Timeline and Create Menusand you click on Share/Disc/Disc, you will see a burn dialog area.

3. Look to the Quality section of that dialog. (Leave "Fit Content to Disc" checked)

4. Look to see what the values are for Space Required and Bitrate.

5. If the Bitrate is lower than 8, STOP and consider and adjust your plan appropriately.

The program automatically lowers the Bitrate if it has to do so to fit everything on that disc. When it lowers the Bitrate, the quality goes down as the Bitrate goes down. You are on more solid ground with that Bitrate showing 8.

You can use a double layer disc (8.5 GB/240 min) if you need a greater capacity disc. But, remember that your player needs to be compatible with the disc type coupled with the format that you have burned to that disc. There is also a "break point" consideration with the use of double layer disc, but we will save that for another time.

Miscellaneous:

a. Use the Photoshop Elements 6 Slideshow Editor Output option = Send to Premiere Elements (allows for greater editing flexibility once the slideshow is in Premiere Elements).

b. Do not use grossly oversized photos in your slideshow. Pixel dimensions of each photo should not exceed 1000 x 750 pixels.

c. Keep close watch to your computer resources such as available RAM and free hard drive space. Make sure to defragment the computer.

That is it for now.

ATR

• 4. Re: DVD Capacity in Copying Slide Show?
                sanray19 Level 1

Thanks for all your folks help. I'll let you all know how it works out. I'm especially thankful for the details provided. They help a lot. Now, I'll have to examine (edit, if necesary)  my PSD photos to ensure they are optimized for the DVD video I want to produce. FYI - I have created my slideshow using PE 6 including audio and then exported it to Premiere Elements 4. I can't see anything I need to do in PreE 4 except burn the DVD? I understand Premeire Elements 4 can be used to edit the video before burning but if everything is done correctly in PE 6 (using still photos with transitions) before exporting to Premiere then all I have to do is use the DVD burn option of PreE. Is that correct?

Sanray19

• 5. Re: DVD Capacity in Copying Slide Show?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, you can add additional effects and transitions if you want.

And you can create a DVD menu for your disc.

But, yes, for the most part, you just share your timeline to DVD.

• 6. Re: DVD Capacity in Copying Slide Show?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Sanray19

If your Timeline is OK, you could go directly to Share/Disc/Disc and burn your Timeline to a DVD disc (4.7 GB/120 min). In the burn dialog, make sure that your preset for burn is correct, either NTSC _Dolby DVD for your standard 4:3 and NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD for your widescreen 16:9. Many factors go into the burn time so let us see how you do on that. No multitasking when you are using burn to disc. This will give you a DVD-VIDEO without menus.

Also, if your Timeline is OK, you could add scene markers to your Timeline, next go to Create Menus and do that for a DVD Main Menu with Scene Selection page, and then move on to Share/Disc/Disc. If you do decide for menus instead of AutoPlay, it is especially important to make sure that your project preset (new project dialog) and the preset in the burn dialog agree.

Do all this on a mini run before the grand project.

ATR