7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 12:29 PM by nados

Matching a PCIe graphics card w/ proper PCIe slot question.

nados Level 1

Hi all,

By all i mean Harm and Jim - the hardware wizards!   One more hardware question....

In comparing two Supermicro mb's, the X8SAX and the X8STE, i noticed that the X8SAX has two PCIe 2.0  x16 slots while the X8STE has one x8 PCIe 2.0 in a x16 slot.

So... my question is... If i'm going to use a high end graphics card like the GTX 260 or a lower end Geforce 9500 GT, buying the X8STE mb would be a mistake because both cards are x16 and putting them in the x8 using a x16 slot would degrade the speed in half - correct?

• 1. Re: Matching a PCIe graphics card w/ proper PCIe slot question.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Go for the X8SAX without doubt. 36 PCIe lanes on the mobo in contrast to the X8STE. The SAX has two 16x slots and these are physically located in a good position for two graphics cards. But why use two video cards? What is the value added?

Good choice for a single socket mobo.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Matching a PCIe graphics card w/ proper PCIe slot question.
            nados Level 1

Harm,

Of the Supermicro i7 single socket mb's, the X8STE would have been ideal with 1-x16PCIe, 3-x4PCIe and 2-PCI slots if the x16PCIe slot had 16 lanes and the mb had no graphics. Also, With the X8SAX, if you are using double wide graphic card, you are covering up a PCIe slot leaving you with ony one more on the mb.

But why use two video cards? What is the value added?

I like many editor's, I use dual monitors during the video production process so i can see Pr, Ps, Ae or Sb at the same time. I find it more productive and convenient. I have been toying with the idea of  getting a third monitor. But with this mb, it would leave me with no usable slots other than the two 64bit PCI-X slots.

Although Supermicro mb's are great, I own an older dual Xeon NLE system, they just don't any boards - currently - that satisfy me. Both boards leave you wanting a little. But I would agree with you that the X8SAX is still the better choice.

In any case, would you agree that putting an x16PCIe graphics card in the X8STE with only 8 lanes in the x16PCIe slot would have been a waste?

Just for curiosity, what Supermicro single i7 mb would you have chosen?

• 3. Re: Matching a PCIe graphics card w/ proper PCIe slot question.
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Personally I would have chosen the SAX, but with a different configuration on the cards. One PCIe-16x for a single video card to drive dual monitors, and an Areca ARC-1680iX raid controller in the second PCIe-16x slot, although it is only an 8x card. The loss of the PCIe-4x slot does not matter to me.

The idea of using three monitors, although it is impressive to clients seeing that setup, would give me a severe neck-muscle strain. It is just too wide. 2 x 24" screens cover enough real estate for my purposes.

• 4. Re: Matching a PCIe graphics card w/ proper PCIe slot question.
                nados Level 1
                The idea of using three monitors, although it is impressive to clients
                seeing that setup, would give me a severe neck-muscle strain. It is
                just too wide. 2 x 24" screens cover enough real estate for my purposes.

Here's where i disagree with ya.  ActuaIly, its just for my own convinience and selfishness. I can edit and build graphics or process audio with two monitors but i also like to have the Pr projects and effects panels up and big as well as Ae - and - post/answer questions on my favorite forums.  If i have to constantly minimize/maximize windows to do all that...  It's just too cumbersome for me - i need a third monitor!

Go on, get a third monitor - just use a little Bengay to lube those joints!

• 5. Re: Matching a PCIe graphics card w/ proper PCIe slot question.
                  Jim_Simon Level 9

both cards are x16 and putting them in the x8 using a x16 slot would degrade the speed in half - correct?

Correct.

• 6. Re: Matching a PCIe graphics card w/ proper PCIe slot question.
                    Jim_Simon Level 9
                    and - post/answer questions on my favorite forums.

Awww, dude.  You shouldn't be using the Internet on a production machine.

• 7. Re: Matching a PCIe graphics card w/ proper PCIe slot question.
                      nados Level 1
                      Awww, dude.  You shouldn't be using the Internet on a production machine.

True always, but i am well protected and keep a clean loaded and updated system image on the backup drive.

In the years that i have been editing, i have only been infected once - years ago - after downloading some software. All of my networked systems became infected within seconds. I just shut them all down, then restored the clean images. All my systems where back up and running in 15 minutes. It was scary at first, but with proper system backup and recovery procedures in place, it was just a minor 15 minute annoyance.

I have never lost any data either due to infection because i separate the data from the system and perform proper backup and recovery procedures.