10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2009 6:44 PM by Jim_Simon

Several questions with PPCS4

KONA Don

aloha one and all,

I have several questions with PP-CS4, they are:

1)  The Sony HC-7 & 9 are not specifically listed within the Capture Panel Settings tab, "Device Control>Options Button>Device Brand>Sony>DeviceType"  Why???

2)  My Sony HC-7 Camera is on-line, the Capture Panel is open, the Settings tab is selected, within the small capture settings window the display reads "Capture Format, HDV", the edit button immediately below is clicked and a dialogue box opens, the default "Capture Format" reads "HDV", to the immediate right is a "HDV SETTINGS" button.  This button is active, however when clicked, there is no response.  Is this Button supposed to work or do I have a bug???

3)  A clip has been rendered in Encoder and filed by subject for later use including possible placement on a stock footage URL.  Can that clip be re-used and essentially rendered again for use in a DVD or for placement on u-tube.

4)  After scrubbing thru all the clips in a "specific timeline", I want to move them to a "sequence" I have titled "TO BE RENDERED".  Cut & paste isn't working to move between sequences.  Is there a way???

5)  Within the timeline, after scrubbing, I've renamed the clips and added coded comments.  When I export the clips thru "Encoder" the clip names are lost in the process.  Is "Encoder" supposed to work this way???

6)  When "Encoder" is opened. the top of the display widow indicates "drag and drop clips or use the add button", however when I return to the timeline to select the clips, I'm prevented from dragging and dropping.  What am I doing wrong???

That's enuf for now.

any help...many mahalos

• 1. Re: Several questions with PPCS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

1. There is no way to keep a program up to date with all the nearly daily introductions of new camera models.

2. No, no.

3. Yes, but not advisable because of quality loss. That is of course irrelevant for YouTube, but for DVD it may be.

4. Yes, nesting.

5. Yes.

6. Use add.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Several questions with PPCS4
            KONA Don Level 1

Aloha Harm...many mahalos for your speedy reply.

As I'm trying to do some encoding as we speak.

In reply to Q-3, which was,,,"A clip has been rendered in Encoder and filed by subject for later use including possible placement on a stock footage URL.  Can that clip be re-used and essentially rendered again for use in a DVD or for placement on u-tube."

your reply..."Yes, but not advisable because of quality loss. That is of course irrelevant for YouTube, but for DVD it may be"

new Question...Is there a way to accomplish what I'm trying to do, which is to save good scrubbed clips for use in many projects???

In reply to Q-4..."After scrubbing thru all the clips in a "specific timeline", I want to move them to a "sequence" I have titled "TO BE RENDERED".  Cut & paste isn't working to move between sequences.  Is there a way???"

Your Reply..."Yes, nesting."

new Question...Can you direct me to where to find help in learning "NESTING"???

In reply to Q-5..."Within the timeline, after scrubbing, I've renamed the clips and added coded comments.  When I export the clips thru "Encoder" the clip names are lost in the process.  Is "Encoder" supposed to work this way???"

your reply..."Yes"

New Question...Is there a way to add these comments and not have them lost???

In reply to Q-6..."When "Encoder" is opened. the top of the display widow indicates "drag and drop clips or use the add button", however when I return to the timeline to select the clips, I'm prevented from dragging and dropping.  What am I doing wrong???"

Your reply..."Use add"

This reply is confusing because "add" opens a dialogue box to open a path saved material, my confusion is none of my clips have been saved as yet, they are still part of a long taping."

The new Question becomes..."How to get a completed scrubbed & edited clip from the "editing timeline" into "encoder" and not have to use the mouse to locate the clip within the timeline in the encoder widow???"

Again many mahalos,

don

• 3. Re: Several questions with PPCS4
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Cut & paste isn't working to move between sequences.

It does for me.  What happens when you try?

when I return to the timeline to select the clips, I'm prevented from dragging and dropping.

Drag and drop is for actual media files, not clips in Premiere.  To add from Premiere, you can either Export>Media out of Premiere, (the normal way when Premiere is open) or use the File command of AME to add a Premiere sequence.

• 4. Re: Several questions with PPCS4
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Is there a way to accomplish what I'm trying to do, which is to save good scrubbed clips for use in many projects???

Yes, shoot in DVCPRO HD.  Temporally compressed clips are inadvisable for this purpose.

Is there a way to add these comments and not have them lost???

Rename the sequence, not the clip.  Exports take on the sequence name, not clip names within the sequence.

How to get a completed scrubbed & edited clip from the "editing timeline" into "encoder" and not have to use the mouse to locate the clip within the timeline in the encoder widow?

Put it in it's own sequence by itself, with the name you want for the exported clip.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Several questions with PPCS4
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Aloha Don,

I think that you might be trying to do the wrong things at the wrong time in PrPro.

Harm and Jim have some good pointers, that will probably get you on track.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Several questions with PPCS4
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    new Question...Can you direct me to where to find help in learning "NESTING"???

Page 136 in the manual or look up 'nest sequence' in the Help file.

Once you understand what nesting is about, you will see very easy ways to achieve what you want to do.

Consider a highly complex mathematical formula, what you do is break it into small manageable parts, often based on the parentheses in the formula. You caclulate the small parts (sequences) one at a time. When you have finished all these small parts, you put all the answers back into the original formula (nesting) to make it easy to calculate the end result. Now if you made a mistake in a certain part (sequence) you recalculate it and correct your mistake. The final result (with all the nested sequences) will automatically reflect the correction you made in a single part.

Hope this helps.

• 7. Re: Several questions with PPCS4
                      KONA Don Level 1

Aloha Jim,

I'm sorry several parts of the reply confused me, whcih is not difficult these days.  regarding your reply..."Yes, shoot in DVCPRO HD.  Temporally compressed clips are inadvisable for this purpose."

I don't understand what you're telling me. 1) Is "DVCPRO HD" a setting in Encore or PP??  2) What temporatily compressed clips are you referring to???

3) What do you mean "inadvisable for this purpose".

Since my objective is to save good quality scrubbed clips for use in many projects, and for several uses, How should they be processed???

As I understand it I can encode them in several different formats.  Can I save them as either; duplicates, subclips without encoding them or should I select an encoding format that will provide me with the minimum of compression and loss of quality???  If there is such a format, what would it be???

As I said in my original post, I envision using clips on Stock footage URL's, in DVD's and on Youtube.

Thx for all your time on my behalf

don

• 8. Re: Several questions with PPCS4
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        Is "DVCPRO HD" a setting in Encore or PP?

No.  It's a camera format used by Panasonic HD cameras.  DVCPRO HD is an I-frame only codec using 4:2:2 chroma subsampling.  HDV is a GOP codec using 4:2:0 chroma subsampling.  (Explanations of terms not understood abound on the Internet.  Some reading may be in order.)

To keep it fairly simple, GOP (aka 'temporal' or 'interframe') compression was developed as a way to fit more data into a limited space.  The design concept was originally intended for playback systems only, the most notable being DVD.  Sony and others later decided to use that idea to make relatively low cost high definition cameras.  But the requirements for editing are very different than the requirements for simple playback, and the fundamental design of GOP compression schemes makes it less than ideal for editing.

So the shorter explanation here is to get a Panasonic camera.  Don't use HDV.

• 9. Re: Several questions with PPCS4
                          KONA Don Level 1

Aloha to all who have replied,

Many thx for your help...I'm  coming to the conclusion that maybe what I'm trying to do is impractical.

However, several questions still remain unanswered:

1) what is the best format to encode in that minimizes the loss quality when shooting with a sony HD-7 capturing as HDV???

2) Can a clip be either duplicated or sub-clipped somewhere in the post-editing process and be saved without being encoded???

thx...don

• 10. Re: Several questions with PPCS4
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Uncompressed is best.  Lagarith will save you some disk space and be just as good quality.