8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2009 3:33 AM by ikonstantinos

Still Can't Upgrade

Daniel Leavey

I posted the following problem one week ago. I continue to receive update notifications for a 13.0.1 update for Illustrator, which continues to give the following error message when attempting an install: Adobe Illustrator CS3 13.0.1 Update failed to install. The update cannot be applied to the product. My daughter received the Updater message today for her copy of Illustrator running on her Intel-based MacBook Pro running Leopard 10.5.8, and she experienced the same failure to install, along with the same error message. What's going on with the 13.0.1 Illustrator updater?

Adobe Updater continually opens and attempts to update my copy of Illustrator with the 13.0.1 updater, but fails each time with a notification that the update cannot be applied to program installed. I have Illustrator 13.0.0 installed on a Mac G5 Dual Processor PPC running OS 10.5.8.

I have also downloaded the updater DMG and have received the same error message --- that it cannot update the installed program (Illustrator 13.0.0).

• 1. Re: Still Can't Upgrade
          Jesseham Level 4

Did you go to the Adobe site and download the 13.0.2 update?  13.0.1 is outdated and will (theoretically) immediately suggest an update even if you do get it to work.

• 2. Re: Still Can't Upgrade
            Daniel Leavey Level 1

I downloaded the 13.0.2 patch. It also failed and gave me the same error message that it could not update the product.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

• 3. Re: Still Can't Upgrade
              [scott] Level 6

I believe you must install the 13.0.1 patch before the 13.0.2 patch will install. 13.0.2 is not inclusive. I could be wrong though.

If you search this forum for "13.0.1 Update Fails" you'll find a very long thread with several solutions in it. In short, it's your system, not Adobe.

• 4. Re: Still Can't Upgrade
                Daniel Leavey Level 1

It's hard to believe it's my system when all other updates have had no problems, and my daughter's Intel-based MacBook Pro running the same operating system version (OSX 10.5.8) has exactly the same problem with the 13.0.1 updater. The Acrobat updates take place without a hitch.

• 5. Re: Still Can't Upgrade
                  Daniel Leavey Level 1

Well, here's proof it's not my system, but given the fix, I'd have to blame the problem on Adobe and the way it manages its installer folder. I did the following and the updaters ran smoothly.

I found this solution in a January 19, 2009 posting by BenWMac, and it worked beautifully. Hats off to BenWMac!!!

Go to MacHD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Installers, locate the {C4519961-AC64-4565-B3AF-9050296B5D5A}.patch file and delete it.

• 6. Re: Still Can't Upgrade
                    [scott] Level 6

Truth is, it is your system. Thousands of users applied the patches without an issue.

There are some systems which for some reason have an issue with the stored patch receipts in their OS.

• 7. Re: Still Can't Upgrade
                      Daniel Leavey Level 1

Well, if it were my system, the fix outlined below wouldn't have worked. Numerous requests for that fix can be found all over the Adobe Forum for Illustrator. The "truth" is that the Installers folder in the Adobe folder of the Application Support folder is not being well managed by the successive updates issued by Adobe. Only after I removed the garbage written into the Installers folder was I able to update Illustrator. That's not a consequence of my having a system problem, but rather the file management of the Patcher program. In any case, thanks to a Forum member, I was able to resolve the issue, and that's what matters most.

Go to MacHD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Installers, locate the {C4519961-AC64-4565-B3AF-9050296B5D5A}.patch file and delete it.

• 8. Re: Still Can't Upgrade
                        ikonstantinos

Hi,

I have the same issue except the error message "The update cannot be applied to the product. Please re-install the product and try again" is followed by "To open bspatch, you need to install Rosetta. Would you like to install it now?". I elected not to install Rosetta as I'd like to keep Snow Leopard free of PPC architecture. I don't have the file you mentioned in Application Support but I tried removing all similar files to no avail. I guess I'll just have to stick with Illustrator 13.0.0 until CS5 comes out when I'm ready to upgrade.