14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 11:45 AM by the_wine_snob

Experiencing video drift when exporting with AME, suggestions?

sarahwentfising

Hi,

I am trying to export fairly long videos (1 to 2 hours) using AME as H264/mp4 files. The original footage is an avi file. I have tried any number of presets and several different custom settings, but regardless, get audio and video that start to drift after about 10 minutes. Does any one have suggestions about what causes this, how to trouble shoot it, and how I might be able to remedy it?

Thanks for any input,

Sarah

• 1. Re: Experiencing video drift when exporting with AME, suggestions?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>original footage is an avi file

What is the CODEC that is used inside that avi file?

If you don't know, Google for the free GSPOT to find out

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Experiencing video drift when exporting with AME, suggestions?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you some tips on how to get the full info on your .AVI's, and also give you a bit of background on the various formats, that are but "wrappers."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Experiencing video drift when exporting with AME, suggestions?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will help you deal with OOS issues, but note that drifting OOS is a bit more work, than constant OOS. It is always better to address OOS at the earliest stages, especially drifting OOS.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Experiencing video drift when exporting with AME, suggestions?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

My longest .mp4 export was about 40 minutes, but it stayed in sync the whole time.  I use only DV source.

• 5. Re: Experiencing video drift when exporting with AME, suggestions?
                  sarahwentfising Level 1

Hi John,

I used GSPOT to get info on the codecs of my avi and H264 files.Most of this info means very little to me, but here's what it says. If from this info you could make recommendations about how to resolve the issue, that would be great. Ideally what i'm going for is being able to put this videos online at full length without having to break it into peices, but also without a viewer having to come back 4 hours later to be able to view the video. I really appreciate your help.

For the avi files it reads

Container info is

Note: 14.2 GB unneeded bytes at end of file
                  DV Type 2 AVI
                  Multipart OpenDML AVI (5 parts)
                  (8466 frames in first part, 154627 frames follow)

Video codec info says dvsd DVC/DV Video

Audio codec info says PCM Audio 48000Hz  1536 kb/s tot (2 chnls)

For the H264 files it reads

Container info is

mp42: MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]
                  - avc1: MP4 Base w/ AVC ext [ISO 14496-12:2005]
                  Recommended Display Size: 480 x 320
                  Created:     2009 May 11   06:51:00
                  Modified:     2009 May 11   06:51:00

Audio codec info says mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC 22050Hz  95 kb/s tot , stereo (2/0)

Video codec info says avc1 H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

• 6. Re: Experiencing video drift when exporting with AME, suggestions?
                    sarahwentfising Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Thanks for the article, deffinately has shed a little light on the subject, but I still am having issues sorting out why the drift is happening. I posted the info G-Spot on both the .avi files I'm using in Premiere and the exported files. Could you help me translate what that info means? and possibly how I use that to solve the drift?

Thanks again

Sarah

• 7. Re: Experiencing video drift when exporting with AME, suggestions?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Sarah,

Let's go back to G-Spot for a moment. With your AVI file loaded, look to the lower-left of the GUI. There are some numbered buttons there. These will Render the Audio and Video, and when done, will then play the file in the little viewer at the upper-left. If there are any problems, as you progress through buttons 1, 2 & 3, an error message will be displayed in the panel to the right. If you get any of these errors, just do a screen-cap of the G-Spot GUI. You might want to expand it up, so that all of the message displays in the panel and is not truncated in any way.

Though I think that I included this in the AVI article, I'll attach the screen-cap of G-Spot with those buttons and the message panel showing:

G-Spot_Screen_02.jpg

Also, if you attach a screen-cap, use the little "camera" icon on the forum editing page:

Adobe_Forum_Image.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Experiencing video drift when exporting with AME, suggestions?
                        sarahwentfising Level 1

Hi again Hunt,

So, using G-Spot I get error messages from the files I have exported from Premiere, but not the ones I'm importing into premiere. Here are the screen shots of the two.

avi

avigspot.jpg

and the mp4

mpeg4gspot.jpg

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

sarah

• 9. Re: Experiencing video drift when exporting with AME, suggestions?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Sarah,

In G-Spot with the AVI, when you go through the full Render process, all buttons, does the file play properly in the little viewer in G-Spot?

I notice that your MP4's Audio sample rate is ~22.5KHz, while your AVI's is the DVD-standard 48KHz. What are the full settings that you chose for the H.264 Export?

Also, there are two popular H.264 CODEC's, the Apple and the MainConcept. Do you know which one you have?

Do you have Apple's QT Player installed?

Do you have the Pro version?

Which version?

When you play the MP4 in QT Player, do they play fine, or exhibit the OOS drift there too?

If you do have QT Player, hit Ctrl+j to get the Properties panel up. I think that this works with the regular version, and not just in the Pro version, but as all of my installations are Pro, I cannot check this out. What does the QT Player properties panel tell us?

G-Spot is much better with .AVI files, than with MP4's, so I cannot say that the CODEC Undetermined message is a hint of a problem, or an inability of G-Spot to get all necessary info.

I'm also a bit concerned about the "unused bytes" in your AVI. How did it Import and edit - any problems, that you noticed?

Along those lines, there is a freeware AVI repair utility, Digital Video Repair. Just as a test, I'd download, install and run your AVI through that. After it surveys your AVI, if it finds errors, it will offer to repair them. Might be a key there, or maybe not.

Good luck, and thanks for the info. Sorry that the process is so slow. To date, I have had no issue with Export to H.264, but like Jim, mine have been only up to about 60 mins. max.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Experiencing video drift when exporting with AME, suggestions?
                            sarahwentfising Level 1

Hunt,
                            Using G-Spot, the avi files play properly, the exported H264 files do not. I have tried exporting the mp4s with varying sample rates from 48kHz to lower rates. If the sample rate is lower, the drift still happens, but seems to be less pronounced.

Could you tell me how I determine which H264 codecs I have?

I have QTPro. When I play the files there they display the OOS drift. I have tried looking at them on several different computers, both Mac and PC and the drift shows up in all cases.

QTPro.jpg

The avi files have been captured from VHS tapes using sony vegas. I am using premier and I haven't noticed any problems editing them in Premiere. The program runs slow sometimes, but I figured thats the nature of working with big video files. I also have several files that were captured from DV tapes in premiere. I get the same issue when trying to export from both files.

I downloaded the Digital Video Repair and it gives me a message that it can't read the files.

I have to go to a meeting in a few minutes, so I will have to check back in on this is a little while. I really appreciate your input.

Thanks,
                            sarah

• 11. Re: Experiencing video drift when exporting with AME, suggestions?
                              sarahwentfising Level 1

Hunt,

Using G-Spot, the avi files play properly, the exported H264 files do 

not. I have tried exporting the mp4s with varying sample rates from 

48kHz to lower rates. If the sample rate is lower, the drift still 

happens, but seems to be less pronounced.

I have QTPro. When I play the files there they display the OOS drift. 

I have tried looking at them on several different computers, both Mac 

and PC and the drift shows up in all cases.

I have to move to another computer, but I will momentarily post the 

screen shot of what the QTPro properties box tells me.

The avi files have been captured from VHS tapes using sony vegas. I am 

using premier and I haven't noticed any problems editing them in 

Premiere. The program runs slow sometimes, but I figured thats the 

nature of working with big video files. I also have several files that 

were captured from DV tapes in premiere. I get the same issue when 

trying to export from both files.

I downloaded the Digital Video Repair and it gives me a message that 

it can't read the files.

Thanks,

sarah

• 12. Re: Experiencing video drift when exporting with AME, suggestions?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                The avi files have been captured from VHS tapes using sony vegas.

Often, when analog material is captured to digital via an A-D (Analog to Digital) capture card, there will be a tendency to have OOS, though it is usually constant and does not drift. This is also easily spotted in PrPro. This does not seem to be your case at all, as you do not experience any OOS (constant, or dynamic) in PrPro - only upon Export.

I downloaded the Digital Video Repair and it gives me a message that it can't read the files.

That Digital Video Repair cannot read from your DV-AVI files is puzzling. They should open right into that program, without a hiccup. Now, the H.264's will not open in that utility, and that would be expected.

From your screen-cap, I see that your H.264 Audio is AAC. This is a Mac Audio format. In your Export settings, can you choose PCM/WAV?

As another test, Can you Export from PrPro as a DV-AVI Type II file with PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio and then Open that resulting file in QT Pro? From there, choose Export and choose the H.264 format. Test the resulting file in QT Player for OOS.

Back in G-Spot, there is Tables for Audio and Video CODEC's. It will list all CODEC's installed on your machine with their names and details. Do not be alarmed, when it shows a bunch of MainConcept MPEG CODEC's as "broken." This is a false positive, because of the naming convention that Adobe uses, when it installs these CODEC's. While there might be other reasons for this, let's basically say that Adobe "hides" these CODEC's, so that other programs cannot overwrite them, or otherwise break them. Again, do not be alarmed by this. All you want to do is find out which H.264 CODEC you have.

The reason for my question is that some folk have had better luck with the Apple, or with the MainConcept, than with the other. There seems no rhyme or reason why one works better for some people, than the other, but reports seem to be about 50:50 on which one works best in the particular instances. If one does not do a good job, it seems that in most cases, the other one will. Why? I haven't a clue.

Good luck, and hope that the meeting goes well,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Experiencing video drift when exporting with AME, suggestions?
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  I see that your H.264 Audio is AAC. This is a Mac Audio format.

AAC (Advanced Authoring Codec) is standard for H.264 files and is platform independant.  You're probably thinking of .aiff audio (Audio Interchange File Format).

• 14. Re: Experiencing video drift when exporting with AME, suggestions?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

You are correct. My bad, mea culpa, mea culpa.

Hunt