10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2009 8:37 AM by the_wine_snob

PPCs4 Shutting Down

sah1510 Level 1

And to think I almost went a couple'a months without any issues!

A few days ago I had a new graphics card installed, a Radion HD 46xx as well as a PSU. I have been using Photoshop, After Effects and Audition since then without a problem. However today when I loaded up Premiere for the first time since the new install it crashed just after everything had loaded and it looked like I was ready to get to work! No error messsages, no crash reports, nothing! I tried all of my other projects and created new ones, but still I had the same issue.

I decided to clear out any settings folders in the following locations:

C:\users\Scott\AppData\Roaming\Adobe...

C:\users\Scott\Documents\Adobe...

Despite this I am still not able to work. I intend to re-install premiere at the weekend, and possibly un-install some plug-ins to try and get it to work, but can anybidy think of why this is happening? As I say all other Production Premium products are working fine and are the latest versions. My new card isn't the most up-to-date so it shouldn't be a problem, should it??

Regards,

S.

System Specs

Intel Core 2 Quad (2.8Ghz)

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

ATI Radion HD 46xx

3GB RAM

Adobe Production Premium CS4 (inc. all updates)

• 1. Re: PPCs4 Shutting Down
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          However today when I loaded up Premiere for the first time since the new install it crashed just after everything had loaded and it looked like I was ready to get to work!

Can you define "crash". Did the system shut down, did PR disappear, did the program stop responding, did an error message pop up?

Look here: Some suggestions and read carefully, including the links included. Also answer the 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article.

You can also post the info suggested in the second link, like Speedfan, Process Explorer and DXDIAG.

• 2. Re: PPCs4 Shutting Down
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might yield some "clues" on what is happening, and hopefully why.

Next, please tell us more about that new PSU and how it's connected to both your MoBo and to your video card. PSU's can be part of a shut down equation, though may well just be coincidental here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PPCs4 Shutting Down
              sah1510 Level 1

Thanks for the quick replies. There were no crash reports or error messages, almost as soon as he clips on the timeline were visable the program stopped running - disappeared if you will! Everything else stays running, no BSOD or reboot.

Unable to tell you much about the PSU, it wasn't me that installed it. Went from 250W to 550W to power the new graphics card, I know thats not very helpful but it was ordered and installed by an IT tech, sorry!

All video codecs are both AVI (Type 2) and MPEG (converted MOD files).

Production Premium CS4 installed with all updates, including Premiere 4.1.0

Intel Core 2 Quad (2.8GHz), 3GB RAM

Windows Vista Home Premium (Service Pack 1).

Single monitor display at 1440x900 (32bit-depth).

Radio HD 46xx, 1Gb RAM

No dedicated audio card, on-board chipset being used.

Hard Drive C: 300Gb capacity, roughly 50% remaining.

WD MyBook (I:\) 500Gb capacity, 40-50% remaining

WD Elements (L:\) 250Gb capacity, 60% remaining

Third party plug-ins include:

Trapcode Suite

Magic Bullet Looks

Knoll Light Factory (AE)

CameraPOV (or similar name)

SideKick 3

No error messages, same problem with all project files (new and old). I have already cleared all settings data and attemped to create and load new projects as well as finished projects from before. If cannot resolve problem, may re-install at weekend.

Regards,

S.

• 4. Re: PPCs4 Shutting Down
                Harm Millaard Level 7

You can also post the info suggested in the second link, like Speedfan, Process Explorer and DXDIAG.

That may throw some light on this case. Also, download CCleaner and run it to clean your registry. Next, download 1ClickPCFix and run it to further clean up your registry. When was the last time you did a clean install of the OS?

• 5. Re: PPCs4 Shutting Down
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the info and sorry that something did not surface from the Event Viewer.

Looking at your system's gear, that PSU is probably robust enough to handle things, though things could still not be hooked up correctly. With many modern MoBo/CPU's, there are some considerations. Harm has some PSU tips in an article on setting up an NLE workstation.

Though probably not related (though it could be), with one internal HDD, things will be stressed. Three internal HDD's is the minimum recommended configuration. Harm also has an article on HDD setup that is great reading.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PPCs4 Shutting Down
                    sah1510 Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I ran all the programms suggested, a bit of late spring cleaning! Premiere still suddenly stops running as soon as the timeline is loaded. I have attatched reports from DXDIAG and Process explorer from the moment the premiere welcome screen was visible.

I will now uninstall all plug-ins and attempt loading Premiere again, if this does not work I will re-install Premiere.

Here's hoping!

Regards,

S.

-----------

Edit: @Harm,

Computer was bought in December 08, since then I have not done a clean install, although I reguarly clean out registers, unnecessary files, and de-frag.

-----------

Edit 2:

I uninstalled all Premiere plug-ins and created a brand new project. When premiere loaded this new project it seemed to operate fine with no timeline open I was able to import files, use the media browser.. etc. But as soon as i opened 'Sequence 1' the program stopped running and again 'disappeared'. I don't personally think the plug-ins were/are the problem here, but I will play it safe and keep them unistalled before this is solved. A step closer to finding the solution...?

Cheers.

• 7. Re: PPCs4 Shutting Down
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

You have a good Seagate disk, but the two WD externals are USB devices, that are not suited for editing. They are just too slow.

What have you installed to create such a mess of the DirectShow filters? Roxio, Speex, FLAC, DivX, FFDShow, Monogram, Haali, Xvid, Line 21, Matroska, MMACE, TSStrider, InfinitePin, and the list goes on and on.

Sorry to say it, but this system is seriously messed up. Your best bet is to do a complete fresh install of OS and programs. Leave out all things not really necessary.

Having seen your DXDIAG, I haven't even looked at Process Explorer, since there is so much crap on your system, it is of no use to investigate further. This may seem harsh, but 99% sure this is the cause of your problems. Your problem is that you installed stuff like FFDShow and FLAC and Matroska that is almost impossible to remove, yet have gained a great reputation in destroying the most stable system to just a bunch of non-working components.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: PPCs4 Shutting Down
                        sah1510 Level 1

Well, it was a little harsh Harm. But I have given it some time and I'm OK now.

In all seriousness though, I do realise that the codec’s are messed up, but Premiere was working just fine before that so there was no obvious reason for the codec’s to be causing it. Although I do acknowledge that they weren't helping much. It's a shame you didn't look at the process explorer, because you would have seen a program called Gamer OSD. It was this that seemed to creating problems as I have seen it cause issues for other people on other forums with After Effects. I uninstalled it this morning and Premiere is up and running again.

Thanks for all your input folks, problem sorted!

Regards,

S.

• 9. Re: PPCs4 Shutting Down
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Whenever you need to reinstall the OS, for instance when you switch to Win7, try to keep your machine as lean and clean as you can.

Meanwhile, glad you solved the problem. Happy editing.

• 10. Re: PPCs4 Shutting Down
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            you would have seen a program called Gamer OSD. It was this that seemed to creating problems as I have seen it cause issues for other people on other forums with After Effects. I uninstalled it this morning and Premiere is up and running again.

That is good to know. I have not heard of this, and about the only way that I would catch it would be just because of the "game" in the name. Most of us have zero experience with many gaming utilities, so other than a personal bias against anything similar, it would not trigger with most.

However, thanks to your post, we all now have something to consider on the next similar case. I certainly learned something here and thank you for sharing. It definitely might help the next person in line.

Appreciated, and glad that you got it sorted,

Hunt