6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2011 9:48 AM by the_wine_snob

HD to SD Tutorial

the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff Bellune, noted author, frequent contributor to several Adobe fora and a Community Expert, has just posted a link to his TUTORIAL on getting SD material from HD original material. It is based on PrPro CS4, but much will apply directly to PrE.

While Premiere can down-rez HD to SD, the results are not the best. Jeff uses free, open-source programs to get the ultimate output.

If you have HD material and wish to end up with SD material, this would be a must-read.

Hunt

• 1. Re: HD to SD Tutorial
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is an ARTICLE by Dan Isaacs, regarding down-rezzing HD to SD, and hosted by Jeff Bellune.

Hunt

• 2. Re: HD to SD Tutorial
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Please note that Jeff Bellune has posted a new location for the TUTORIAL in the last reply here. Be sure to scroll down for the current location.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: HD to SD Tutorial
              Jeff Bellune Level 6

Thanks, Hunt.  But the new link is for Dan's AviSynth filter.  He's updated it, and the new version isn't at the old link.  My tutorial is still in the same place.  I think.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: HD to SD Tutorial
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Thank you for that correction,

Hunt

• 5. Re: HD to SD Tutorial
                  MARCUS CAREY Level 1

I have just installed my new CS5.  When I export my HD sequence, recorded on a Canon XHA1s in full HD, I find that my options are fairly limited in terms of what format and presets are available.  Also, I have no control over the bitrate or quality as these are grayed out.

I'm looking for a single source for two answers to what I think are the two questions this discussion has raised:

1.    What format and preset is best for the export and rendering of full HD sequences, when the plan is to burn them to a standard DVD to be played on a standard DVD player.

2.    What format and preset is best for the export and rendering of full HD sequences, when the plan is to burn them to a Blue Ray DVD to be played on a Blue Ray DVD player?

And I have one additional question:  Why are my choices in the codec area grayed out and why can I not create a custom preset?  Is there a preference or setting somewhere along the way I forgot to enable?

Thanks to all for the great help this forum provides.

• 6. Re: HD to SD Tutorial
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Marcus,

I would post your questions to the PrPro CS5 Forum, as few will likely see it here, since this is a repository for tips & tricks, and not really used as a discussion forum.

Users, such as Jeff Bellune, who wrote the linked tutorials here, and Colin Brougham, will likely be able to help you. Plus, Colin has been writing a FrameServer program for CS5, see HERE.

Good luck,

Hunt