25 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2009 11:08 AM by roaming video

CS4 video effects

roaming video Level 1

In Premiere CS4.1, I am now working on color correction (using basic Adobe RT effects).  In effects control, after I have the proper effect settings, as soon as I lift my finger off the mouse the clip goes back to the original colors.  This happens with all other effects that I try to apply. 

Is there a setting that I need to change?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: CS4 video effects
          Harm Millaard Level 7

No, but more details would be welcome, as well as a screenshot of the effect controls panel.

• 2. Re: CS4 video effects
            roaming video Level 1

Frankly, I have no clue how to do a screen shot.

I'll look it up on the web.

What do you need exactly in that screen shot?

What happens is that after I apply an effect, let's say RGB color correction, I then go to the effects control.

In effects control, if I decide to add more of a color (i.e. red), the color change does take effect as long as I keep my finger on the LMB,

But as soon as I release the mouse button, the color goes back to the original.

My computer specs:

Dell Precision T7500 workstation.

Processor: Intel Quadcore 2.53GHz.

6 GB RAM

Graphic card: NVidia Quadro FX 3800

Capture card: AJA Xena LS

External hard Drive: Micronet Platinum Raid, 4TB, SCSI 320

• 3. Re: CS4 video effects
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Use Ctrl-Prt Sc to get a screen-cap into the Clipboard. Open Photoshop, or similar and choose New Image, accepting the defalut, which will be the size of the image in the Clipboard. Ctrl-v (Paste) will get that into your new image. Annotate as is needed and then use the little "camera" icon on the editing screen to attach that resulting image, Saved_As a JPEG.

Adobe_Forum_Image.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: CS4 video effects
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Use Ctrl-Prt Sc to get a screen-cap into the Clipboard.

The Control modifier isn't necessary.  Hitting the Print Screen button alone will do the trick.

• 5. Re: CS4 video effects
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

That kinda' depends on one's computer and on their keyboard.

Hunt

• 6. Re: CS4 video effects
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

It shouldn't.  Print Screen is a part of the standard 104 keys.  Every PC user should have one, and it works without Ctrl.

• 7. Re: CS4 video effects
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Well... my Sager wants the Ctrl modifier  key. Maybe I need to pass all comments through you, to make sure that your system agrees with what I type?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: CS4 video effects
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I also feel compelled to ask, if the OP does not need to use the Ctrl key, but it works for him/her, how exactly will this affect the production of a screen-cap? Is this just some sort of editing on your part, or will my comments yield an unusable screen-cap, regardless of the OP's keyboard?

If the Ctrl modifier does not interfer with the process, is this something that needs to be controlled? I seem to be missing your exact point here, but maybe I am just dense.

Hunt

• 9. Re: CS4 video effects
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

my Sager wants the Ctrl modifier key

Correctamundo!

If the Ctrl modifier does not interfere with the process, is this something that needs to be controlled?

Nope.  Ctrl+PrtScn works exactly like plain 'ol PrtScn on my MS wireless keyboard.  But PrtScn by itself does *not* work on my Sager.  I suspect there are other laptops out there that behave the same way.

-Jeff

• 10. Re: CS4 video effects
                            roaming video Level 1

I'm working on it!

I've done several versions and I'm trying to adjust my windows so 

details can be viewed.

I'll send it soon.

Thanks!

• 11. Re: CS4 video effects
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Thanks for the input. I was starting to wonder if I was committing OE with my laptop, based on the comments. Often, I have to try things, and depending on the machine that I am on, the results might well differ. Then, I have to remember if I am on the En, the PS, the AE, the AI the PrE or the PrPro forum! Eddie Lotter used to keep me honest, as he knew of my constant confusion.

Interesting that you still have your Sager. Going back many years, I think that it was a post from you, about 4 years ago, that led me to them for an NLE laptop. After 2-3 years (past the warranty), I have no regrets.

Hunt

• 12. Re: CS4 video effects
                                roaming video Level 1

I've been trying to upload three images of screenshots for the past hour.

The first one went ok but after that, when I pressed the "insert image" icon I've been getting a message that the link (called"area") was not available.

So I'm sending and image and two attachments, hoping that it will do.

I went down from two monitors to one and killed all unnecessary panels (made a mess out of my editing window), but I'm not sure if you'll still be able to view the effects control panel modifications.  Let me know if I need to redo the process a different way.

Here are the screen shot and two file attachments in JPEG, named so they are hopefully self-explanatory.

1- Original clip.

2- Red gamma pushed at 1.40 while the Left Mouse Button is being pressed.

3- Red gamma pushed at 1.40 and the LMB is released.

Color Correction Original clip only.jpg

• 13. Re: CS4 video effects
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, got them. Regarding the uploading, I have found that the forum software does have problems with long file names and also spaces. It seems to take a few spaces, but chokes on more. I've taken to naming my files in the old way, with the _ in lieu of spaces. I've not tested to see at what point the spaces cause problems, but just use the underscore key to separate the words, and keep the titles rather short. Maybe someone can add the exact details, as my observations are just that - observations with no emperical experiments.

Now, looking at the Effects Control Panel with the Color Correction adjustments up, I cannot see any change in the adjustments between the "LMB Pushed," and the "LMB Released." I do see the difference in the Program Monitor display. Between these two screen-caps, what was changed? It might just be that when you went to do the screen-cap, those values reverted to the default, or original settings and were not captured, though their effects were still applied, hence the difference in the Program Monitor.

Besides which values were changed and what they were changed to, can you tell me exactly how you made the change? Did you "scrub" the value (I forget the exact term that Adobe uses for click-dragging across the values, but it's basically "scrubbing."), or did you type in a new value?

If you scrubbed, can you try typing in the desired value? Did that keep the adjustment?

I'm trying to see if this is maybe a problem with your mouse and its driver, or maybe with your GUI display, or if it's something in the Effects Control Panel's handling of the value input.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I would imagine that having to go from dual-monitors to single for a screen-cap would be a bit of extra work. You should be able to use Workspaces to go back and forth easily, especially back to your dual-monitor setup. Still, having to rearrange those Panels, when in single-monitor view, would be some extra work. I had not thought about that, as I do most of my screen-caps from my laptop, and not from my dual-monitor workstation. Sorry about making you jump through hoops!

• 14. Re: CS4 video effects
                                    roaming video Level 1

What happens is rather simple.  In fact, so simple that I feel I must 

be missing a setting somewhere to make it work.

In the example screen shots I'm using a simple color correction 

(exaggerated to make it more obvious), but the problem is the same 

for every effect I try to use.

In this example:

1- I apply a basic RGB color corrector to a clip.

2- I go to the effects control panel.

3- I expand "red gamma".

4- The default value is 1.00

5- I bring the cursor to a higher value, i.e. 3.00.  The clip color 

changes to bright red, as long as I keep my finger on the LMB.

6- When I release the LMB, the color goes back to the original clip 

color.  The cursor does remain at the same value (3.00), but the 

color goes back to what would be a value of 1.00.

7- If I click on the cursor while it is at the 3.00 value, the clip 

color turns red, but as soon as I release the mouse button, it goes 

back to the original clip color (while the cursor and scrub are still 

at a 3.00 value).

In "Sequence Settings / Playback Settings", I tried the "Timeline 

Options / Render Adobe RT Color Effects" both checked and unchecked, 

and the results are the same.

Let me know if you need more details.

Thanks,

Richard

• 15. Re: CS4 video effects
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Wow, that is odd behavior. I tried to replicate your situation, but could not. However, there are probably a myriad number of reasons why I could not.

One thing that I keep coming back to in my mind is the AJA card. Have you updated the drivers for that card? I've never used that card, but maybe somenone, who has, will chime-in with comments. It may have zero to do with your problem, but my gaze hangs on it, with every rereading of your equipment post.

Do you have the MS InteliPoint mouse driver installed? (if I have asked that already and you've answered, please forgive me.)

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: CS4 video effects
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Out of curiosity, is that a Ganged Reference monitor in your pic?  If so, try using the Program Monitor to view the results.

• 17. Re: CS4 video effects
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m, I had not thought of that. Might be a good "catch."

Let's hope,

Hunt

• 18. Re: CS4 video effects
                                            roaming video Level 1

I have installed the IntelliPoint driver, and the problem still 

persists.

It is odd behavior, and I also suspect it is the AJA card.  I just 

can't see what else it could be.

I'm going to contact AJA, but their tech support is almost non-

existent for matters not related to sales, so I don't expect much 

from them.

I'm going to start a new thread on this forum with the topic "AJA 

Xena LS and color correction".

And I'm also going to try other forums like Creative Cow.

Thanks for the help!

Richard

• 19. Re: CS4 video effects
                                              roaming video Level 1

It is the Program monitor, but with all the panels reshuffling I did 

to make details viewable, it ended-up huge and I left it this way.

Usually it's regular size, to the right of the source monitor.

Richard

• 20. Re: CS4 video effects
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                It is the Program monitor

Dang, I though Jim was onto something there.

Hunt

• 21. Re: CS4 video effects
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                  I have installed the IntelliPoint driver, and the problem still persists.

That was but a guess. Some versions of the InteliPoint driver have cause GUI issues, though not like yours. Usually, it has manifested itself with Panels flashing, and the like.

It is odd behavior, and I also suspect it is the AJA card.  I just can't see what else it could be.

Yes, evey time I read, it was almost like a flashing neon sign, saying "look at me." I didn't want to sound like an episode of The Adobe Premiere Whisperer, or something, but it always caught my eye. Still, maybe too easy a suspect to blame.

If you do get some help from AJA, or find the cause and the cure on the Cow, or elsewhere, please post back to this thread - or the suspense will likely kill me.

Good luck, and I'll keep thinking and studying your screen-caps.

Hunt

• 22. Re: CS4 video effects
                                                    roaming video Level 1

I put a big note on my desk to make sure and post back to this thread.

I sure hope I can find a solution, otherwise I'm in trouble (I've got 

a deadline in less than three weeks).

Richard

• 23. Re: CS4 video effects
                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                      I also suspect it is the AJA card.

Try a non-AJA project and see what happens.

• 24. Re: CS4 video effects
                                                        roaming video Level 1

AJA finally came out with new drivers yesterday (late in the day) and it solved the video effects problem.

So it definitely was a Xena card problem.

However now new problems appeared.

The component output to my external monitor is not functioning anymore.

And, what is worse, the video and audio are now out of sync.

Also, I'm getting a red bar above clips right out of the project panel, with no effects applied;  this is no big deal as they play real time anyway.

When I use the Adobe player and audio drivers instead of the AJA, the sync is ok.

(Thanks for the suggestion, Jim, I should have tried that earlier).

But the lack of external monitor is important to me.

I guess there isn't much that can be done until AJA comes out with a new fix.

Thank you for all the help.

Richard

• 25. Re: CS4 video effects
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you were able to pinpoint the initial problem, but sorry to hear about both the OOS and the external monitor.

I hope that AJA will have an even better updated driver for you.

Good luck, and thanks for reporting,

Hunt