15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2009 1:46 AM by Miceal Zimmer

Problem with Adobe Element 7

DeadeyeAl

I just got a new camcorder (CANON Vixia HG20) my adobe element 7 will not recognize the camera

for uploading the video. I tried reinstalling the software (ImageMixer 3 SE Ver.3) and that did not help.

Does anyone have an answer to this.

Thanks

Al

• 1. Re: Problem with Adobe Element 7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The Vixia is an AVCHD camcorder. You don't capture video from an AVCHD camcorder -- you download it using the Media Downloader.

Make sure that your project is using the proper AVCHD project presets and then go to Organize, click Get Media and select the option to download from an AVCHD camcorder.

Note that AVCHD is one of the most intensive video formats out there, and that most people who are successfully working with it have quad core processors and 4 gigs of RAM in their computers. Those with lesser systems will find working with this highly compressed format very frustrating.

• 2. Re: Problem with Adobe Element 7
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Al,

Just a little add on...

From what I have read your Canon Vixia HG20 sensor is capturing 1080i60 (1920 x 1080 at 60 field per second). If you have the camcorder set at 1080i60, then it will be recording to its hard drive or memory card 1920 x 1080 at 60 fields per second (30 frames per second). In addition, your camcorder offers Dolby Digital 2 channel sound (Stereo), not 5.1 channel. If are in a PAL region and have a PAL version of the camcorder, you would probably be dealing with 1080i50 (50 fields per second, 25 frames per second).

So, your Premiere Elements 7 project preset (new project dialog) would be NTSC/AVCHD Full HD 1080i30 if you are in a NTSC region and PAL/AVCHD Full HD 1080i25 if you are in a PAL region.

Have you used the following without success?

1. connecting your camcorder USB connection to computer and then used the Premiere Elements 7 Media Downloader (Get Media/"AVCHD or other hard drive/memory camcorder")

and/or

2. copying your video from the camcorder to the computer hard drive and then bringing the video into Premiere Elements 7 via Get Media/Files & Folders

ATR

• 3. Re: Problem with Adobe Element 7
              DeadeyeAl Level 1

ATR

Thanks for your help. I was able to download from the camcorder's hard drive to the SDHD card

that is in the unit, then dowload it to Element 7.

I still could not pick-up the AVCHD mode through the USB connection, it was asking for

me to select the device,which was NOT listed.

The "ImageMixer3 SE ver.3" software (CANON) that came in the kit,could not connect.

Al

• 4. Re: Problem with Adobe Element 7
                DeadeyeAl Level 1

Hi Steve

Thanks for your answer,my computer has 8 gigs of RAM and Element 7 works fine.

but I had to download the video from the hard drive to a SDHD card in order to

download it to Element 7.

Somehow when I connect the USB cable, the Canon software does not read it.

Thanks

Al

• 5. Re: Problem with Adobe Element 7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Somehow when I connect the USB cable, the Canon software does not read it.

This seems very strange. I would have expected that the Canon software would connect properly. Does that USB cable work with other devices? Does that USB port work with other devices?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Problem with Adobe Element 7
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Al,

I just wanted to be clear on where you are now.

Do you have your video in Premiere Elements 7 Media and on the Timeline?

Did you attach your camcorder (with the SDHD card inside), connect the camcorder to the computer via USB, and then copy the video to your computer hard drive and from there into Premiere Elements 7 (Get Media/Files & Folders)?

OR

Did you record to a SDHD, remove the SDHD card from the camcorder and then use a card reader that supports SDHD cards to copy the files from the card to your computer hard drive and from there into Premiere Elements 7 (Get Media/Files & Folders)?

I have a point & shoot digital camera that records to a SD memory card. I leave the SD memory card in the camera. In the camera's menu/setup I put the USB Mass Storage ON and have no trouble copying the photo and video files from the camera to my computer hard drive via USB. Depending on which route you were using, I wondered if your camcorder had a USB Mass Storage setting and if it was on.

I would have to do a crash course on that Image Mixer 3 SE ver 3 software that came with your camcorder and need more details of how you are using it.  If you really want to use it and can get free technical support on getting it to work from Canon or the people who manufacture the software, I would try that. If not, I will have to do some searching around for some troubleshooting leads and maybe we can figure that out. It may not be worth it in the long run if you have alternatives to getting that video into Premiere Elements 7.

ATR

• 7. Re: Problem with Adobe Element 7
                      bernardfeltzer

He is correct the software to "pick up" the camera through the USB cable does not respond all of the time.

I had to unplug the USB cord about 5 times before it kicked in.

There is also an update on the Canon software, on their PIXELA website, but it's not for that problem.

I download the ACHDV files using the Canon software, then I get the "project" using "get media" from files in Premiere Elements 7, I make a DVD using the share tab.

I agree that using all these programs to make a clear movie is a pain in the ***.

That's why I bought a Flip HD pocket cam corder.

• 8. Re: Problem with Adobe Element 7
                        DeadeyeAl Level 1

Yes,this is what I did !

Did you record to a SDHD, remove the SDHD card from the camcorder and then use a card

reader that supports SDHD cards to copy the files from the card to your computer hard

drive and from there into Premiere Elements 7 (Get Media/Files & Folders)?

What is happening with the "ImageMixer 3 SE ver.3" software is,when I connect the UBS

cable to the computer, it tells me to select, copy to DVD burner drive or to computer/printer.

As soon as I pick one it goes into a gray screen and tells me, connect power cord.

USB CABLE & POWER CORD are connected as per instructions but nothing happens.

Al

• 9. Re: Problem with Adobe Element 7
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bernardfeltzer

Thanks for your comments on that Canon and transferring video from Canon to camcorder. It helped to put perspective on the issue.

I do not want to dilute Al's issue by detouring to Flip HD camcorders (pocket size), but I would think that will lead you into a no win situation trying to edit the Flip HD video. See Steve Grisetti's FAQs.

ATR

• 10. Re: Problem with Adobe Element 7
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Al

Thanks for the additional details.

The major good news is that you can get that video into Premiere Elements, although not as you had planned. Maybe it is time to check out how it handles editing and exporting your video. I will be watching for your new thread on that.

Is the Canon camcorder still within the Canon warranty? If so, I would pass the connection problems by them, especially if have checked your USB cable and port(s) and are sure that they are OK. Their T/S may have some critical information that is only available through contact with them. The software problem may be due to the connection problem, although I have seen some negative comments about that software.

I will be watching for further comments and developments.

ATR

• 11. Re: Problem with Adobe Element 7
                              bernardfeltzer Level 1

I had that exact problem using the USB cord when I got camera new.

After a few reboots and a couple of days it worked.

I use vista ultimate.

The Canon Vixia takes better quality videos than the FlipHD, but it takes 10 minutes to remember how to use the Canon Vixia, by then the moment has passed. The FlipHD is easy to use and convenient.

I have had no problems editing either Canon files or the Flip MOV files in Adobe Premiere. My problem with Adobe's program is it is not easy to use and remember what I did previously, it takes a lot of time to figure it out, then I forget, so that must be a brain problem.

Any ways, the problem Al is having is not related to Adobe's software, it's related to the camera capture program that comes bundled with Canon Vixia.

Sometimes I have to enter that one through programs and turn it on manually, it's supposed to do it automatically. It's called Image Maker 3 SE Camera Monitor.

• 12. Re: Problem with Adobe Element 7
                                Miceal Zimmer Level 1

I have a Canon Legria HF S10 and Premiere Elements 8.0. I'm having the same problem you had. While it's recognised by the PC and I can see it in My Computer in Media  Downloader Elements 8.0 doesn't see the Canon.

Did you ever resolve the issue?

• 13. Re: Problem with Adobe Element 7
                                  DeadeyeAl Level 1

I never did resolve the problem. I just returned the camera for a refund.

Thanks for your interest.

Al

• 14. Re: Problem with Adobe Element 7
                                    bernardfeltzer Level 1

If you go to Adobe support for your purchased software, there are a few updates available for newer cameras.

The Pixela bundled software for Canon camcorders has 2 new updates available since I last replied.

• 15. Re: Problem with Adobe Element 7
                                      Miceal Zimmer Level 1

I had a look as you suggested but under updates and new downloads. Saw some

updates for PRE 7.0 but I couldn't see any for PRE 8.0.

Thank you for taking the time to try to help.