3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2009 12:20 AM by Kumud malhotra

QTP add-in support

VExt0n

This is the notes from Flex builder 3.0 release notes for Install and Configure Flex Automated Testing

Is the Flex developer responsible for these steps?

To use run-time automated testing (recommended):

1. Open a command prompt.
      2. Navigate to the flex_builder_root/sdks/3.0.0/templates/automation-runtimeloading-files directory.
      3. Execute the build.bat file. This compiles the runtimeloading.mxml file into a SWF file.
      4. Copy the runtimeloading.swf and RunTimeLoading.html file to your web server. Copy the Flex application that you want to test to this server as well (the application need not be compiled with automation libraries).
      5. Request the RunTimeLoading.html file and pass your Flex application as the automationswfurl query string parameter; for example:
        http://localhost/RunTimeLoading.html?automationswfurl=MyApp.swf

To compile your applications with static automation support:

1. Start Flex Builder.
      2. Create a new Flex Project.
      3. Select your new Flex project in the Navigator.
      4. Select Project > Properties > Flex Compiler.
      5. In the "Additional compiler arguments" field, enter the following:
        -include-libraries "flex_builder_dir\sdks\3.0.0\frameworks\libs\automation.swc"
         "flex_builder_dir\sdks\3.0.0\frameworks\libs\automation_agent.swc"
         "flex_builder_dir\sdks\3.0.0\frameworks\libs\qtp.swc"
         "flex_builder_dir\sdks\3.0.0\frameworks\libs\automation_dmv.swc"

The -include-libraries compiler option is relative to the Flex Builder installation directory; the default on Windows is "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3\".

6. Click the OK button to save your changes and OK to close the project Properties dialog box.
      7. Compile your Flex application.

I installed a trial version of FlexBuilder 3.0 and I'm able to select the add-in from QTP

From where can I download FlashPlayer Active X control

I'm new to this and I need to automate the test pretty soon, so please help!

• 1. Re: QTP add-in support
          paul.williams Level 4

Testing with QTP is a pain, so don't expect to be able to do anything

quickly. Your post lists two alternative approaches for getting going

with QTP so you need to choose and follow one of them. In my experience

the second approach ("static automation support") is easier to get

working. Whichever approach you choose I would suggest starting out with

a very basic Flex application (eg. a tab bar, a view stack, a few

buttons ands labels) and try to get automation working with that, rather

than attempting to dive in with whatever application you actually want

to test. Note that if you do follow the "static automation support"

approach you must recompile the application without the automation

libraries to create a version suitable for release (ie. the version you

build and use with QTP should not be released because it has lots of

unnecessary automation junk compiled into it).

The documentation below covers these setup steps and explains their

differences in more detail. The "static automation support" approach is

covered in "Compiling applications for testing":

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=functest_components2_01.html

The Flash Player ActiveX control is just a more specific name for the

Flash Player for Internet Explorer. You should have that already. If you

don't you can download it from here (get the debug version):

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

Once you've got a simple application automated with QTP (ie. you can

record and run test scripts on the application), you can then repeat the

same steps for your target application. You may need to make code

changes to your target application in order to automate it fully and

allow tests to run efficiently.

If you are struggling with QTP (and you haven't bought it yet) then you

may want to take a look at an alternative tool called RIATest, but post

back any specific issues you hit and I may be able to help.

• 2. Re: QTP add-in support
            VExt0n Level 1

Thanks for the good tips and links. I will try my luck with a small application first, as you suggested. Thanks

• 3. Re: QTP add-in support
              Kumud malhotra

Hi All,

We are currently trying to automate our test cases using QTP 10 for our hybrid application which uses java swings + Flex(New screens developed).

We have decided to follow the runtimeloading approach for this purpose. Currently we are launching Java Applet which call a jsp which in turn calls our flex swf file.

Now issue we are facing is that we are not able to apply runtime approach to our application. As jsp is calling application swf file.

Can we modify this jsp somehow that it should call runtimeloading.html/runtimeloading.swf then runtimeloading.html or swf itself calls our application swf file. Which I think will be then recognized by QTP.

I am attaching our jsp below for refrence. Application sqf is RatingShell.swf