5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2009 7:17 PM by evilbrian

Sony HDV Deck Batch Capture Problem

RobertCC

I recently added a Sony HVR-M15AP HDV deck to my CS4 set up (on PC running Vista 32 bit) but I can't get it to batch capture properly when the tape is recorded in HDV.

I'm still editing in DV at the moment but we're shooting in HDV for future use so the deck is set to down-convert to standard definition. Either way with HDV tapes when it searches for the pre-roll point it will get close the start point then fast wind forward or back past the point by about a minute, stop when it realises it's too far then goes way past in the other direction. It does this a few times until it gives up. However if I manually hold the play button when it's positioned before the start point it will play and start capturing when it reaches the correct point.

If I try a tape that's originally recorded in DV or DVCAM it has no problems finding the pre-roll straight away.

There is no option to select this deck in the device control preferences so I've tried using Sony, Generic as well as Sony DSR11 thinking that this is possibly a similar or equivalent deck but none of these settings make any difference.

Could this be an issue with the deck, Premiere or some setting I haven't set properly somewhere?

• 1. Re: Sony HDV Deck Batch Capture Problem
          RobertCC Level 1

Just a couple of additional things.

I have tried adjusting the pre-roll time and there doesn't appear to be any problems with the timecode on the tape in that it plays smoothly and doesn't have any breaks.

• 2. Re: Sony HDV Deck Batch Capture Problem
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I thought HDV didn't offer batch caprture because of the temporal compression.

• 3. Re: Sony HDV Deck Batch Capture Problem
              RobertCC Level 1

Really? I wasn't aware of that. Are you referring to not being able to frame accuartely batch capture or would the temporal compression also stop Premiere finding the correct timecode?

I've just done a test and batch captured 5 clips with the same in and out timecodes but I had to manually override the deck by pressing the play button before it had a chance to fast forward somewhere else. All 5 clips captured frame accurately.

I don't see why it can't find the timecode.

I found similar issues on Avid forums and changing the deck profile settings seemed to help the problem but Premiere doesn't have the same amount of deck preference options.

• 4. Re: Sony HDV Deck Batch Capture Problem
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Are you referring to not being able to frame accuartely batch capture or would the temporal compression also stop Premiere finding the correct timecode?

I don't actually use the stuff.  I just thought missing batch capture was something I read.  I could easily be wrong.

• 5. Re: Sony HDV Deck Batch Capture Problem
                  evilbrian

I've been having this problem for the last 12 months since moving up to CS3, and it's driving me nuts.

From searching other forums, it seems that Premiere is not the issue. Rather, it's the fact that the HDV timecode is recorded in a completely different way from the Mini DV timecode, and virtually all of Sony's VTRs are incapable of reading it accurately in Fast Forward or Fast Rewind. I've tried the M10, the M15, M25 and just yesterday the M35. The only one that works properly is the old M10, but there's not many of them around now. Essentially they were just a Z1P Camcorder without a lense, but they are the only Sony deck I've found that can handle HDV timecode at speed. Unfortunately they seem to drop the odd frame here and there.

Sony make a big deal of how they are the best for the professional market but this problem makes me wonder. It could probably be solved if we had a way to disable FF or FR in the Menu, but I can't find such an option.