4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 2:30 PM by Sean_Wilson

Video not working

YogiPup

I produced a shockwave program using Director 11.0 back in May that worked just fine on every browser and operating system I tested it on, but now none of the videos will load when I run it on my Vista machine.  It's apparently not an IE8 issue, because that machine is still running IE7.  My Vista machine does have the latest Shockwave player installed, but I've got the same Shockwave player on my XP machine and the videos work fine on it.

Also, the program doesn't seem to run at all through Firefox on the Vista machine.

Anybody have any ideas?  Is this something that D11.5 fixes?

If any of you Vista users want to see what I'm talking about, you can see the program at http://www.word1inc.com/PreLaunch2013

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Video not working
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

I'm running sw11.5.0.601 in FF3.5 on Windows XP (SP3). When I load your SW movie and click on the "Introductory Video" button I can see (using using the Tamper Data add-on) that your movie requests a file at http://www.word1inc.com/PreLaunch2013/Intro.swf and is returned a 404 error. Meanwhile your SW movie sits there saying "Loading video. Percent complete: 0%". I didn't look any further, but if you are experiencing problems with video in other places in your movie you might provide details of how to get there.

• 2. Re: Video not working
            YogiPup Level 1

Thanks for testing it out, Sean.  Interesting that you had the same problem in XP.  I can't duplicate it on any of my XP machines.  I think they're all SP2, though.

The other videos can be reached by going to the main menu and clicking on the last button, "Academy Heritage."  I think you'll find they'll do the same thing as that introductory video, though.

Do you know what a 404 error is?  Does that just mean that it can't find the video?  This is so weird because it was working fine 3 months ago, and I haven't changed anything.

Where do you get the "Tamper data" add-on?  Is that something for director, or for Firefox?

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Video not working
              Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional
              Do you know what a 404 error is?

Google is your friend

A 404 error means "file not found" - if you click the link in my post, or copy and paste it into your browser, you'll see the same thing. The file your SW movie is trying to load doesn't exist - you gave it the wrong path, or deleted it from the server, or ...

Where do you get the "Tamper data" add-on?  Is that something for director, or for Firefox?

If you'd used google you'd have seen that it's an add-on for FireFox.

• 4. Re: Video not working
                YogiPup Level 1

Sean,

I think I have it figured out, thanks to your note.  I hadn't paid close enough attention to the file you said it was looking for.  That is indeed the file, but that's not the right location.  It has never been in that location.  It's always been in the dswmedia folder.  I updated the shockwave player on one of my XP machines, and it couldn't find the video.  I moved the video to the root folder, though, and it found it just fine.  Trouble is that I've got hundreds of pictures being used in slideshows that no longer work, either.  Don't think I'll be moving all of them to the root folder.

It must be something the new Shockwave player is doing.  Kinda blows!