7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 2:17 PM by Curt Y

Rendering and Thumbnails

Curt Y Level 6

This is really a Bridge question, but need an audience that knows about video, so hope this is a good forum for it.  If not, let me know where to post.

In Bridge the AVI thumbnail does not show for video downloaded from the web.  Have seen this posted by several users of CS3 & 4.  It just shows a generic thumb.

With some experimentation I have found that rendering with the Cinepak Codec by Radius, DivX 6, and MS Video 1 will produce a thumbnail.

Rendering with ffshow and uncompressed results in only a generic thumb.

So my question is - does anyone know what is being changed to make it work?  I know literally nothing about how video works, but suspect the codec writes the first frame differently, so Bridge can read some of them and not others. 

I am making a big assumption that the thumbnail is generated with first frame.  If so, as a workaround, a very short AVI (rendered as above) or single frame? could be inserted at begriming of video so thumbnail can be generated.

My hope is that if the problem can be narrowed down Adobe can do a simple code rewrite to get all AVI thumbs to show.  Windows Explorer has no problems with it, so it can't be that difficult.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Rendering and Thumbnails
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The bottom line reality is that Bridge simply doesn't work with all video formats.

• 2. Re: Rendering and Thumbnails
            Harm Millaard Level 7

FFDShow is a real show stopper, often requiring a complete fresh installation of OS & programs.

• 3. Re: Rendering and Thumbnails
              Curt Y Level 6

I should add that I am using VirtualDub.  There are lots of Codecs out there, just used these as I had them on my machine.  the video processing software should be immaterial to the question.  There are many other Codecs out there that may work or not to generate a thumb.

The real question is what does Bridge need to read the video file to generate a thumbnail, and how can this be facilitated?  What are these specific Codecs (and others) doing that others are not to generate a thumb?

• 4. Re: Rendering and Thumbnails
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Curt,

You pose a good question. Unfortunately, I do not have an answer.

I will say that the thumbnail preview differs program to program. My ThumbsPlus 7 will show more thumbnails, than will Bridge. Windows Explorer in Thumbnail View will show others. IrfanView yet others. None show ALL, and each seems to differ in the files that they will use a thumbnail for. Some AV files show the generic icon in ALL of my various programs.

What's different? I haven't a clue. I have the correct display CODEC for each of the generic files, but no program shows the thumbnails for all. They will play properly on most of my players and G-Spot does not show any problem with the files that are icon-only. Now, I do not have FFDShow.

Good luck, and I hope that someone can give you a definitive answer.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Rendering and Thumbnails
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

The real question is what does Bridge need to read the video file to generate a thumbnail, and how can this be facilitated?

A fair question for the programmers of Bridge.  But you'd have a better chance of them seeing it through a Feature Request than asking here.

• 6. Re: Rendering and Thumbnails
                    Curt Y Level 6

I knew it was a long shot, but was hoping some video guru could say that Bridge looked at frame xx for information to generate information for the thumbnail.  Perhaps then I could splice in the info at the correct spot.  Or that specific rendering codex did ---- .

But apparently it is not that simple as the thumbnails must be generated with some information other that a frame image.

I am working on the Adobe angle also, but it will come as no suprise that this channel moves very slowly, if at all.

• 7. Re: Rendering and Thumbnails
                      Curt Y Level 6

I came up with a workaround to get thumbnails for video that just have generic thumbs.  Basically I took a snapshot for thumb and then set up a stack with video.  For the whole step by step process see this link.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/487640?tstart=0