4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 2:56 PM by the_wine_snob

Quality difference PE7 trial and PE7 full version

mbchance

I was getting low quality outputs on dvd burns for my video (avi files) and photos ( high resolution jpg) . I was using PE1.  I downloaded the trial version of PE7 and recreated the video with the same files (new upload of avi) from camcorder and same jpgs.   Trial version had a great improvement on photos.  Images were better and didn't have "flicker". So I bought the full version of PE7 from an online vendor.   JPG Images are not as bad as those created in PE1, but not as good as what I created in the trial version of PE7.

My question is:

Would there be a difference in the program downloaded from Adobe vs. a DVD copy from a vendor created by Adobe.   Would there be updates that I could download from Adobe, and would give me a better result.  All things were the same, camera, PC, DVD player, DVD burner.

• 1. Re: Quality difference PE7 trial and PE7 full version
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There is absolutely no difference between the quality of output of the trial, the DVD and the downloaded versions of the program.

Many things can affect the quality of your video output, including:

• The type of camcorder you used to shoot the video and how you got it into your computer

• The project settings presets you used to create the video

• The size of the photos used in the project

• Whether Flicker Removal was applied to the photos

• 2. Re: Quality difference PE7 trial and PE7 full version
            mbchance Level 1

Thanks for the response.  I have just started using PE7, and will check enhancement features in the product, like the "flicker removal".   I didn't change any settings in either the trial or full versions of PE7.  I would have thought the output would have been the same, since all factor where the same in both DVD burns and image transfers to the the programs. 

I have seen postings about photo quality in projects, and that the PE program doesn't like large photo files.   Not sure why Adobe wouldn't  have a feature in the product that addresses this issue and not create a need to reduce the size, since most of the new digital photo cameras are shooting at higher resolutions.  I went with PE7, because the trial version gave me a greatly improved result on the photos in my DVD project. 

• 3. Re: Quality difference PE7 trial and PE7 full version
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I have seen postings about photo quality in projects, and that the PE program doesn't like large photo files.   Not sure why Adobe wouldn't  have a feature in the product that addresses this issue and not create a need to reduce the size, since most of the new digital photo cameras are shooting at higher resolutions.

This is not a limitation of any of the Adobe products. It is a limitation of the output formats, like DVD-Video and BD.

Now, the Adobe NLE's (Non Linear Editors), like PrE and PrPro will handle images up to 4000 pxls. on the largest dimension. [I think that PrE is exactly the same here, as is PrPro.] The trouble comes from two areas:

1.) the output will be the Frame Size of the medium, i.e. 720x480 for DVD-Video

2.) handling these files, as they have to be reduced in some fashion to fit the output medium, taxes most computers more than they can handle.

I find that resizing to what is needed outside of the NLE is the best method for two reasons:

1.) the NLE does not have the load of processing the large images

2.) the interpolation algorithms used are better in Photoshop, than in either of Adobe's NLE's, and there are more choices

This ARTICLE will help one get started with using Photoshop, or PSElements, to do batch resizing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Quality difference PE7 trial and PE7 full version
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                I would have thought the output would have been the same, since all factor where the same in both DVD burns and image transfers to the the programs.

That is exactly what I would have expected as well.

Please give us the full info on:

1.) your Project Preset

2.) your Assets (still images, AV files, etc.) and go into as much detail as you can

3.) your Export/Share settings

All three of these can affect the viewed output.

Good luck,

Hunt