8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 2:32 PM by the_wine_snob

Ken Burns Effect

Ed.Macke Level 3

I want to do a Ken Burns (I think)-style effect, where I take a still image and zoom in on the person while the background remains static or zooms slower.

I know there was a tutorial somewhere on how to do that (I believe it started with creating a .PSD with layers or something)? I can't remember if there was a link in a forum post, or if it was on muvipix, or what.

Sorry for asking for repeat info, but I can't find a search function at muvipix and the search on the Forums returns an "Unexpected Error" and I'd like to work on this this weekend.

TIA

• 1. Re: Ken Burns Effect
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

You are on the right track with the Layered .PSD. There is at least one article here, and I think several on Muvipix. I'll see if I can locate those for you and will post links.

There are also several tutorials, but I think most of those were for the more traditional KB's Effect without the faux 3D look on the background.

Back in a moment - I hope

Hunt

• 2. Re: Ken Burns Effect
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This THREAD might get you started. Did not read the full thread, but saw some familiar stuff.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Ken Burns Effect
              Ed.Macke Level 3

Hunt,

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I want to do. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you *how* to do it (well, it might... the actual video site is in Russian! )

I know how to do the standard pan & zoom - it's that 3-D zoom look that I'm going for.

• 4. Re: Ken Burns Effect
                the_wine_snob Level 9

This THREAD might have what you are looking for. Steve G. has a bunch of links in his first reply.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Ken Burns Effect
                  Ed.Macke Level 3

Bingo! That was it.

Thanks, Hunt! As always.

Now if I could only figure out why the forum search function no worky...

• 6. Re: Ken Burns Effect
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's one from Creative Cow.

I noticed that the author points out that people used this effect long before Ken Burns popularized it. I agree. I was using it when this author was in diapers and Ken Burns in grade school, but it was not called the Bill Hunt Effect!!!! Of course I was doing it with an animation rig over actual photographs. Both focus and zoom were done in-camera and we used spindles and string to pull things as was needed. All was totally analog as computers were room-filling monstrosities way back then.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Ken Burns Effect
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Now if I could only figure out why the forum search function no worky...

Well, the Adobe forum has been wonky since last night. Early this AM, it was still acting up, but came around about 9:30 AZT for me.

Muvipix does have a Search, but you need to be in the Community to use it - upper-right. However, I did not find the articles that I recall replying to, with some thoughts on the background. I even used the golfer and golf course as an analogy, but could not locate it. Wasn't THAT long ago either. Google did not find it, but maybe my boolean was deficient. If I can locate that one, I'll post the link.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes for you. I'll be doing similar, though with a fade away for one of the subjects. Not quite the same thing, but using the same techniques.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Ken Burns Effect
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

Just read the full Adobe Forum thread, linked above, and maybe it was here, and not at Muvipix, where I used the "golf" example.

Memory is a terrible thing to waste...

Hunt