5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 5:23 PM by the_wine_snob

Creating a DVD with HDD camera as a source - better in elements than premiere pro + encore?

glossyvarnish

Hello,

I recently got a request to transfer some video from a SD HDD based camera which creates mpeg-encoded files - to DVD and I have been looking into some options of doing this.

There is one thing which i need a little bit clarification about, and i hope somebody here can help.

In Premiere Elements the dvd creating and video editing is in the same program, and it seems to me that after editing and pressing create disc, there is a an encoding process done to create vob files.

In the Premiere Pro / Encore workflow however, it seems like Premiere Pro first encodes dvd compliant mpeg files, and then after importing them to Encore it's possible that encore also transcodes the mpeg files to make them fit a dvd.

Which if true, would make the quality of the target material worse in this workflow compared to  Premiere elements.

So so far i have concluded that given the source i am using for the video, it seems like i would get better output quality using premiere elements than

prempro/encore.

Are my observations correct in this matter?

Now I know that in order to avoid transcoding in Encore i could probably set encoder settings so that the files do fit a dvd-disc but I prefer the approach where i just say "4.7 gb dvd" and the encoder figures out what compression to use.

• 1. Re: Creating a DVD with HDD camera as a source - better in elements than premiere pro + encore?
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          In the Premiere Pro / Encore workflow however, it seems like Premiere Pro first encodes dvd compliant mpeg files, and then after importing them to Encore it's possible that encore also transcodes the mpeg files to make them fit a dvd.

If the resulting MPEG-2 files from PrPro are 100% DVD-compliant (per the user's settings), Encore will not re-Transcode the files, unless something is done to require so doing. Often, one will get the Video part correct, but drop the ball on the Audio. I use elemental streams (separate Audio and Video files - not muxed), and my MPEG-2's do not require any re-Transcode.

Now, this is not part of your question, but there is a vast difference between the built-in authoring capabilities of PrE and those in Encore. There are more differences, than similarities. The only common element is that both will output MPEG-2 (if one did not Import those) and package them into the DVD-Video structure. Beyond that, it is truely an apples vs oranges situation.

Hope that helps a bit,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Creating a DVD with HDD camera as a source - better in elements than premiere pro + encore?
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Now I know that in order to avoid transcoding in Encore i could probably set encoder settings so that the files do fit a dvd-disc but I prefer the approach where i just say "4.7 gb dvd" and the encoder figures out what compression to use.

The way to handle this is to Export as DV-AVI for Import into Encore and just let it do the MPEG-2 Transcoding on automatic. Here again, I use elemental streams (mentioned above), and Encore does a great job in the vast majority of cases.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Creating a DVD with HDD camera as a source - better in elements than premiere pro + encore?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

While we're looking at the authoring capabilities between the authoring end of PrE and Encore, I'd better cover a bit of background on the differences that I alluded to earlier.

In PrE, one is limited to having the program do things in a semi-automatic way. Unless you do a direct play DVD-Video with no Menus, you pick your Menu "set," and PrE creates enough Scene Selection Menus to cover the number of Chapter Markers in your Project. You have no control over this. As an example, let's say that you choose a Menu set where the Scene Selection Menu has a 2 x 2 matrix of "scene" Buttons (4 per Menu). You have 13 Chapter Markers. You will get 4 Scene Selection Menus. The first three will have that 2 x 2 matrix filled in order. Your last Scene Selection Menu will only have 1 Scene Selection Button and it WILL be the 1-A location in that matrix. OK for many, but you have zero control.

Next, you cannot do a Play First lead-in in PrE. Your Main Menu WILL be first.

You cannot do Button Transitions.

You cannot do any Playlists/Chapter Playlists, so that one could direct play in any order beyond 1 - 2 - 3, etc.

You cannot adjust the Transcoding in PrE beyond the 2-pass VBR.

You cannot adjust the burn speed, as it is an average of the speed of the media chosen and the max speed of the burner.

There are still more elements missing from PrE vs Encore, but these are the biggest ones that I see.

Now, in Encore, with the vast control, you do have to do more manual linking. This is done semi-automatically in PrE. You set the Chapter Markers, pick that Menu Set and PrE does the rest.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Creating a DVD with HDD camera as a source - better in elements than premiere pro + encore?
                glossyvarnish Level 1

Hello,

thank you for a very thorough explanation of the differences :-) Indeed Encore is a entirely different beast compared to the dvd authoring capabilities of PrE, i should perhaps have mentioned to avoid the confustion that i really just want a simple playback of video sequentally so i would only need a fraction of the capabilities of encore.

that being said my main intention and question was really just about the small part about if i could get a double-encoding with a workflow where setting the dvd-disc size was the primary setting and what encore and premiere did was secondary.

• 5. Re: Creating a DVD with HDD camera as a source - better in elements than premiere pro + encore?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I was not sure where to stop, but I see it should have been earlier. Still, should others have similar questions, they have some observations to fall back on.

For what you describe, I think that PrE will work just fine. However, Encore can do the same thing, if used properly. PrE just does the same thing behind the scenes, and will actually be quicker. It's like having a really good Adobe Dynamic Link built in. That alone might swing my vote to PrE, given your Project description. Now, done correctly, the resulting DVD-Video will only have one tiny difference - the speed of the burn will be automatically set in PrE. This will NOT affect quality, but could play a role in the playability on various set-top players.

Regardless of your choice of authoring software, do use the best blank media that you can. This boils down to Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden. There is another blank medium, Falcon, that gets great reviews from a respected contributor here, Jim Simon. I have yet to try it, but will just on his recs.

Good luck,

Hunt