8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2009 9:20 AM by the_wine_snob

Frame Capture

mike39321

What is the best Third Party or plugin program for frame capture (Prem CS4) ?

• 1. Re: Frame Capture
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Please define what you want here. Do you mean a capture program to record your work in PrPro, a la Camtasia, or do you mean a screen-capture like Print Screen? If you want to Export a still frame from your Timeline, that is easily done (more easily done in CS4.1) via AME.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Frame Capture
            Harm Millaard Level 7

What do you mean?

Just a screen capture? There is a free one included with Windows, PrintScreen. Another one I prefer is SnagIt. But maybe you meant something else.

• 3. Re: Frame Capture
              mike39321 Level 1

Hunt,

I need a single frame capture(highest quality) to be edited in PS CS4. The frame will eventually be a  8x10 photo. So, I'm trying for as near photo quality as possible.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Frame Capture
                mike39321 Level 1

Harm,

I want a frame capture from the timeline. I also have SnagIt. But, I need a higher quality grab.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Frame Capture
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

AME's single frame Export will be as good as it gets. If you have SD material, this will be 720 x 480 x 72 ppi. This will not produce a really good 8 x 10 image printed through any process, desktop, or mechanical ink on paper. You are starting with 110 film qualty here to start with.

The bes that you can do is to do "stair-stepping" interpolation in PS to get your image up to the necessary resolution. I would limit the "stepping" to increments of 10% and look to Bicubic Smoother for this. It will still be lacking in quality.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Frame Capture
                    Curt Y Level 6

You should browse the web.  Lots of free and pay for options available.

• 7. Re: Frame Capture
                      mike39321 Level 1

Thank you, Hunt & Harm.

Mike R.

• 8. Re: Frame Capture
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Hi Mike,

I'm still not perfectly clear exactly what it is that you wish to do.

Depending on that, there can be totally different answers. Even where there is overlap in the methods, the output might well differ dramatically.

If you want the still frame to be FROM the motion footage, then that Export via AME as a still is as good as it gets. This was what I was shooting at, and interpolating up in PS might help a bit, but you'd still be short in your printed output, regarding quality.

If you want the still frame showing the PrPro GUI with the Timeline and the Program Monitor showing, then the method of capture would change.

Good luck, and hope that you can get a good still (even if it requires a bit more work in PS), from your source.

Hunt