12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2009 8:03 AM by the_wine_snob

Window burns

BG@BizVid

I have PPro CS3. Is there a way to create a window burn from tape whereby the tape code is in the window.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Window burns
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Is it the Runtime that you want displayed? If so, this can easily be done with the Video>Timecode Effect. If you want the tape's Timecode displayed, then some might depend on whether you have HD, or SD material.

Please let us know,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Window burns
            Harm Millaard Level 7

If you are talking about date and timestamp and exposure data and the like, look here: http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm

• 3. Re: Window burns
              BG@BizVid Level 1

Thanks Harm and Hunt,

In the analog days, we were able to take our betaSP tapes to the edit suite and have the editor make a "window dub" to give the client for review.  Usually it was a VHS  copy of the original BetaSP source that had the Beta's SMPTE code visible on the VHS.  That way, a client could pick the scenes and make an EDL for later use.  Yesterday, we shot in miniDV and we want to make a "window dub" for our client so they can pick scenes for our edit. I don't want to add my own time code but rather pull the time code from the miniDV.  That way, when client selects the scenes, we can go to the original source (the miniDV) and import only those scenes to PPro CS3.  If I were to import all the footage into PPro CS3 and force add timecode, there would be no way to reference the new time code with what is on the miniDV tape......makiing it tough to access and import only the scenes needed for the production.  Because, as you know, as soon as you chop a scene from the PPro timecode, all of the timing from that point to the end, changes.

• 4. Re: Window burns
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Have you considered adding a transparency track with the timecode effect and giving that to your client in Clip Notes format. His comments can be directly imported for editing.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Window burns
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

If I were to import all the footage into PPro CS3 and force add timecode, there would be no way to reference the new time code with what is on the miniDV tape.

There is.  You have to apply the Timecode effect directly to every clip, not to a Transparent clip.  For Timecode Source you select Media instead of Clip.  Apply the effect to one clip, then Copy/Paste Attributes to all others.  The client will see the timecode on the tape.

• 6. Re: Window burns
                    BG@BizVid Level 1

Wow Jim, that's it.  I can't tell you what a relief it is to know the solution.  This has bugged me forever.  Thank you so much.

• 7. Re: Window burns
                      BG@BizVid Level 1

Jim,

A new issue.  I did what you said and the timecode from the original clip also became the timecode for the clip in the timeline.  However, the clip (10 minutes) in the timeline loses a little over 3-seconds by the time the cti travels to the end of the clip.  For example, the original clip ends at 13:15:07:07 and the clip in the timeline ends at 13:12:45:15.  Both clips start with the same code but don't end up the same...as you can see.  When I inserted the timecode effect into the timeline clip, it defaulted as drop frame. Since I shot in non-drop, I changed the settings in the effect to reflect that.  Still, the original and timeline cllips ended out of sync.  Then I noticed that the only frame setting in the timecode effect is 30fps....I shoot at 29.9.  Is that the problem?  Is there a way to change the timecode effect to 29.9fps?  If not, how does one overcome this problem without massive adjustments to the "offset" tab.

• 8. Re: Window burns
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Are you using a sequence with the timecode display set properly? You might be looking at drop-frame when you want to look at NDF:

tcdisplay.png

• 9. Re: Window burns
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

the clip (10 minutes) in the timeline loses a little over 3-seconds by the time the cti travels to the end of the clip.

Shouldn't matter.  The client sees the tape timecode.  You will as well when you load the clip into the Source Monitor for editing later on.  Neither of you will be using the Sequence displayed timecode.

• 10. Re: Window burns
                            BG@BizVid Level 1

Jim,

Thanks for sticking with this for me.  I do have the clip in the source window. When I select a specific frame in the source window and then place the cti on that same frame, the code is off.  (see below).  Should'nt the media timecode of the source clip be frame accurate when dragged into the sequence

These are both NDF and parked on the same frame.  How can the same clip be off when the timecode is assigned to media?

Source  02;53;32;14                                      Program   02;52;14;15 

Timecode.jpg

• 11. Re: Window burns
                              BG@BizVid Level 1

Major apology to everyone.  Colin jogged my brain.  The issue was wrong settings in sequence.  Opened a new project with correct settings and code matches perfectly.  Everything in this thread has been extremely helpful.  Thank you so much Colin, Harm and Jim.

• 12. Re: Window burns
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got it handled.

If you want a tad more design control - fonts, colors, etc., AE offters the same Effect with just a few more possible tweaks. To most, it's not worth the little extras, but just keep in the back of your mind that there are a few more controls.

Good luck,

Hunt