6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2009 7:54 AM by Joey33

Copyright and using examples from manual

Joey33

Hello!

Is it legal to copy/paste example code from manuals? I use them in my app.

The copyright notice says 'no part of this book may be reproduced....'

Thanks,

Joey33

• 1. Re: Copyright and using examples from manual
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The notice pretty much speaks for itself--it is a supplemental warning intended to enforce copyright.

• 2. Re: Copyright and using examples from manual
            Lon Winters Level 4

Contact the publisher.  The one time I did this, they allowed use of the material for a specifed period of time for free as long as I included the proper references as they determined.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Copyright and using examples from manual
              Joey33 Level 1

Yes, the notice is quite explicit;)

But on the other hand, if I purchased Flash 9 and got a manual with Actionscipt, it is a bit unfair that I cannot make use of

examples in my apps. Examples were written for me anyway.... To me it seems a bit like putting copyright on AS language elements too and

forbidding to use them without permission - absurd.

• 4. Re: Copyright and using examples from manual
                Lon Winters Level 4

Oops. I misunderstood your initial question.  I was thinking you were talking about the text, I missed the word "code".

I would think that the code examples are intended to be used and edited as you see fit.  That's why they're in there. But, it still could be a tecnicality of the copyright laws, who knows?

• 5. Re: Copyright and using examples from manual
                  Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you have wonderings about legal matters, your best bet is to contact a legal authority... relying on anyone else's word, regardless of their experience, can be hazardous to your health/wealth. If you want to avoid the cost of legal advice, the best bet is to avoid the potential infringement.

I believe there is a difference between using the code that someone provides as an example when you are applying it in a program versus copying their example code for use as your own example code in your own publication.  My own thoughts are that if you are using something that someone else took the time to create for the same purpose that they are using it for, then you are violating their copyright.

But as Lon suggests, you may be able to avoid any problems and still use the material if you try contacting the copyright owner and request use of their materials.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Copyright and using examples from manual
                    Joey33 Level 1

I guess I'll write to Adobe with this question, out of curiosity and for safety;)

Thanks for your answers and advice!