8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2009 8:21 AM by the_wine_snob

Problems with sharing to dv camcorder from Elements 4

pom999

Hi - I 've used Elements 2 for some time successfully, and have now started using Elements 4, which works fine when creating a DVD or copying to computer, but if you try and output a completed video to  my Sony DV camcorder, the video signal drops out randomly.  The recording keeps going, and the audio is uninterrupted, but you get a blue screen for 2 or 3 seconds.  I have tried reinstalling, turning off the screen saver, turning off anti virus and so on, but this has no effect. The problem is entirely random; the blue screen appears at a different point every time you start to record, yet the original project recording is fine. I am running Vista Home; incidentally I do occassionally get messages saying Elements 4 has stopped working, so I suspect a software issue.   Has anyone else experienced this?    Any advice would be warmly welcomed!!!!

• 1. Re: Problems with sharing to dv camcorder from Elements 4
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Which Sony DV Camcorder?

ATR

• 2. Re: Problems with sharing to dv camcorder from Elements 4
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Add on....

I am interested to know if DV or HDV camcorder and how you have your project preset set.

ATR

• 3. Re: Problems with sharing to dv camcorder from Elements 4
              pom999 Level 1

It's a Sony DCR-HC46.  I shoud have said I used Elements 2 on a different (XP) computer, through a firewire connection with the same camcorder with no probs; the problem is occuring on my Vista computer.  Again the connection is through Firewire.

M

• 4. Re: Problems with sharing to dv camcorder from Elements 4
                pom999 Level 1

Sorry we crossed there!  It's DV rather than HDV; not sure I understand the bit about the project preset?

• 5. Re: Problems with sharing to dv camcorder from Elements 4
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The Project Preset is what you choose, when you start a new Project. Since you have an SD camera with SD DV footage, it will most likely be an NTSC, or PAL DV 4:3, or 16:9 Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Problems with sharing to dv camcorder from Elements 4
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

pom99

What I was exploring with that question about the camcorder and DV/HDV was this. It is my recollection that when you go the Share/To Tape route, you need to have a match between the camcorder setting and the preset for export. Some people get into problems if one is set at DV and the other at HDV.

From what I have read, your camcorder is recording DV standard 4:3 or widescreen 16:9. How is the camcorder set when you are trying to record to tape and what is the Premiere Element project preset: NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen?

But, if you have used this camcorder with a prior version of Premiere Elements, I would assume that you would be aware of this. But, I passed it by you just to make sure. Please review the suggested workflow for Premiere Elements 4 record to tape in the program's Help PDF to confirm that there is nothing there that is different than the Premiere Elements 2 protocol for this. If not, we can go on to other areas, including Vista computer resources and the length and nature of the Timeline.

I will be watching for your response.

ATR

(I read you response as NOT that you were asking what the project preset was, but rather what that had to do with record to tape.)

• 7. Re: Problems with sharing to dv camcorder from Elements 4
                      pom999 Level 1

@AT and Wine Snob

Thanks for your explanation; I had quite forgotten about that setting!! I've just checked it and it shows Standard DV 4:3 which would be correct for this camcorder. However, in the process of trying to fathom out what was going on, I have found an alternative solution.  I was only copying the completed video back to DV tape so I could then copy it to my hard drive DVD recorder and thus onto dvd from there.  The reason for that was that DVD -Rs burnt from my PC are automatically finalised for some reason (whereas DVD RWs are not) meaning a short video (say 20 mins) was occupying a complete 2 hour DVD!  The DVD recorder allowed me to  copy a number of short videos to a single DVD without finalising at the end of each one, but would not read the unfinalised DVD RW.  I have just bought a new DVD recorder which I've just discovered does read the unfinalised DVD RW, so problem solved, and its a faster option!

On that basis I'm going to abandon my original question; thank you for your time and responses. I'm very impressed at the level of expertise on this Forum, and have bookmarked it against any further problems.

Many thanks and best wishes

M

• 8. Re: Problems with sharing to dv camcorder from Elements 4
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Obviously, with the multi-session DVD's, you are talking about DVD-Data, that contains the playable video files, and not DVD-Video, with its set specific structure. As long as you are archiving your Projects to DVD-Data for playback on a computer, or on one of the few players that can handle DVD-Data discs, things are great.

Glad that an equipment change allowed you to use an even wider range of media.

Good luck, and do drop back by, whether you have another issue, or just want to contribute to others.

Hunt