1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 165 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2011 1:06 AM by c.pfaffenbichler Go to original post
      • 80. Re: Photoshop For Linux ?
        Level 7

If you don't understand the problems with Linux color management (ad hoc, and yes I know the guys writing those libraries), font management (almost non-existent), printing support (half-implemented, mostly buggy), etc...  that probably means you haven't been developing for platforms that have solid solutions and standards.

Unfortunately, Linux is still in a pretty sorry state when it comes to available APIs and standards.

From inside the Linux world, it may not seem that way.

But from outside, with experience on other platforms, Linux still appears to be in bad shape.

The problems are not insurmountable - but they do add to the cost of porting, decrease support for multiple distributions, increase the cost of support, increase hassles for end users, etc.

(please note that "a third party library exists" does not equal "we have standardized support")

• 81. Re: Photoshop For Linux ?
          pgquiles

Hi Chris,

I'm a KDE developer (and commercial software developer). In KDE, we develop an application called Krita which aspires to be something like Photoshop. It's still far from that but we try hard with our limited resources :-)

From my point of view, there are two separate issues with the port of Photoshop to Linux:

1. Some technical issues (color management, printing support, font management, tablet support). None of them sound to me like a serious impediment for a company like Adobe. Other companies (Intel, AMD, etc) have faced similar problems and their approach has been very pragmatic: if there is no standard, let's create and implement one.
          2. People who want/need to use Photoshop will use Windows or Mac if that's what it takes. Even if they prefer Linux. Because Photoshop is more important than anything else to them, so they will use Photoshop on a toaster if Adobe says Photoshop will now be available only for toasters.

At some point in the future, there will be a product which is available on Linux and which will be real competition for Photoshop. That will drift people from Photoshop to the other product, just because that product is available on Linux. And that will be the moment Adobe seriously considers a port to Linux. Until then, it's completely understandable you have no real reason to port to Linux because you are still selling licenses to those very people complaining about Photoshop not being available (we did the same thing at work: we didn't port a large application to Linux until one client stepped in and paid for the port, in full - and I'm talking about millions of dollars)

On the other hand, has Adobe ever considered a wine-enabled version of Photoshop on Linux? Codeweavers provides commercial support and and a way to easily distribute and deploy software on Linux using "bottles", but I'm sure you already know that.

• 82. Re: Photoshop For Linux ?
            Level 7

1. Yeah, that's about what I said.

2. Not entirely.  But those that need Photoshop do have WINE or 2 other platforms available.

We've been helping CodeWeavers for years to keep Photoshop working under Wine.  (we can't write code for them, but we answer a lot of questions)

And even a competing product on Linux wouldn't help:   there has to be a market on Linux willing to pay for commercial software before commercial software will get ported.  Someone funding a port helps, but there are ongoing costs involved, and unless there's a visible source of income to pay those costs.....   And nobody is likely to fund a port of all software, whereas a real market for software would get many things ported.

• 83. Re: Photoshop For Linux ?
              voipster3

Hi new on the forum as I have been reading this debate wether Adobe should port to Linux or not. I for one hope that Adobe does not enter the linux market at all as they will actually make a mess of it and leave. They do not have the willingness nor intuition to make it work on a unix platform. All of their programmers are very biased on they way they program. I do however have to agree with Mr. Cox that the color management on the linux is not very standard and to get good color management is a bit tricky and not every user will be able to manage it.

Why I want to write here is that if you guys are really willing to gather so much money for a port (which I really do understand), why not go support gimp and help them out. They are the ones which can do it and supporting a foss is way more freer in the sense a lot more companies can write their own versions. Gimp may not be the photoshop of today but will be the Gimp of tomorrow and it will be adobe needing to play catch up.

It not worth bothering trying to convince people what they don't want to do. It's exactly like taking a horse to water but you can't make it drink it. Think about it.

• 84. Re: Photoshop For Linux ?
                Level 7

They do not have the willingness nor intuition to make it work on a unix platform. All of their programmers are very biased on they way they program

You do realize that MacOS X is a Unix based OS, right?  And that most of our developers have a Unix background, and we all work on multiple platforms every day?

It's not that we like or dislike porting to Linux -- it's that porting to Linux doesn't make financial sense right now.

• 85. Re: Photoshop For Linux ?
                  Level 5

Chris Cox wrote:

...porting to Linux doesn't make financial sense right now.

Would Adobe have any way to detect the current market of Photoshop users already on Linux?  Those using Wine or a VM on top of Linux appear as plain Windows users to Adobe when they activate.

Even if Linux as a desktop OS reaches the same market share (now ~1%) as the next smallest competitor (Mac, ~5%), Adobe cannot know who has an interest in Photoshop because we're currently hiding behind a curtain with Wine and VMs.

Adobe only knows me as a Windows user even though I use more of my Windows licenses of Photoshop on Linux than on Windows.

• 86. Re: Photoshop For Linux ?
                    Level 7

If the emulator works correctly, we can't tell that we're running in emulation. (short of looking for known bugs)

That's why we do a lot of marketing surveys.

• 87. Re: Photoshop For Linux ?
                      voipster3 Level 1

Adobe should then allow those users to say that they are using it like that, at least when resgistering. Also you should give same level of support to those users using it like that. I know for a fact that in Hong Kong a lot of companies wish to move away from Windows platform but are stuck due to only photoshop. I have succesfully made gimp work some of the task so they basically will not upgrade existing photoshop. They are using CS2. So you lost revenues there. I am doing to the best of my ability that you guys will lose market share even if you port. With Gimp 2.8 coming and some of the framework in place we should see better advancement in 8 bit support and tablet support. People come on support Gimp they need more people testing it and of course donations and especially they need programmers to move it faster. If they can do it with only 3 people think what they can achieve with 10 times more people. Let photoshop rule windows since steve jobs is trying to kick adobe out anyway so that 6% is gone from adobe. When gimp rises we don't need photoshop.

• 88. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                        CodingGeek

I don't know who are the geniuses behind these market surveys.

My simple understanding is that "People only buy products/services they need!"

Photoshop is used by, of course, "Photoshop Users" NOT Windows users, mac user or linux user.

All we ask Adobe is that let us choose the OS, we would like to use.

The fact is that Adobe earns money for microsoft. Yes, Because there is no photoshop available on linux,

many linux users use windows as necessary evil.

By the way, is there any data of

1) How many people use photoshop with dual boot

2) How many people have 2 systems with win/mac(for photoshop) and linux

3) How many companies using more than one operating system and for what purpose?

Answer to these question will be the market for linux photoshop.

It seems Adobe already decided not to port, so whatever we do/post/argue is no use.

Telling us, linux users won't pay for commercial softwares is like complaining "Eskimos don't buy air conditioners"

When there is better open source / free alternative, no one going to buy commercial software.

Any calls for MS Office port to Linux? No one going to ask for it.

Again.. "People only buy products/services they need!"

• 89. Re: Photoshop For Linux ?
                          Manny B.

@voipster3

i totally agree with you that helping gimp and krita is the way to go.

while am an old ps customer, am ready to move away since a port will probably never happen, so not much we can do here. But there's a lot we can do to support native projects.

Is pretty amazing the level gimp has reached with just 2 or 3 part time developers. Imagine what they could do with more resources.

I think we gotta give them a hand, am pretty willing to donate during the course of the year the amount i would be paying for a ps license. I will only support someone that really wants to support me. Period.

• 90. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                            c.pfaffenbichler Level 8
                            Telling us, linux users won't pay for commercial softwares is like complaining "Eskimos don't buy air conditioners"

So who made such a statement (in this thread at least) again?

Mr.Cox’ »very few Linux users are willing to pay for commercial software.« (post 6) seems not exactly subtly different from »linux users won't pay for commercial softwares«.

• 92. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                              mr.ubuntu

Yes, but not very stable. I tested this already.

Am 19.01.2011 10:46, schrieb Pierre Courtejoie:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mtstuner#p/u/4/9-xBE67PhbY CS5 does run on linux, thanks to WINE...

>

• 93. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                tavam

I would definitely switch from mac to linux if I could use PS, Lightroom and InDesign. In fact, this is the only thing that holds me back. But nobody asked me about it.

And probably this is what Adobe doesn't want, users to switch from mac or windows. It's always better to hang around with big brands. But it won't last forever that's for sure. Even the name "windows'' is becoming obsolete now.

• 94. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                  bkovacs7

So Chris, why don't you get some of the Adobe developers  to contribute to the Gimp project on their spare time. Just ask and see if they may be interested. Gimp needs developers big time.

• 95. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                    bkovacs7 Level 1

By the way Krita is more of a Corel Painter replacement for Linux. Gimp is the Photoshop Elements replacement. I say Photoshop Elements, do to lack of 16 bit and CMYK support in Gimp 2.6.

• 96. Re: Photoshop For Linux ?
                                      tavam Level 1

I think all this argument shows the antagonism between proprietary and open source thinking. Simply the values and interests go against each other, this is why linux came to existence to be in contrast with corporate interests. So I guess developers and communities have to keep up improving their amazing work and keep their strong commitment to their philosophy and make (and wait for when) the times (are ready to) change.

• 97. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                        mr.ubuntu Level 1

I really also miss this two features in Gimp, but Gimp is surely a

replacement for Photoshop and not Photoshop Elements. I often try

Photoshop tutorials with Gimp, which works quite well. You couldn't

do these tutorials with Photoshop Elements.

Patrick

Am Freitag, den 21.01.2011, 00:27 -0700 schrieb bkovacs7:

By the way Krita is more of a Corel Painter replacement for Linux. Gimp is the Photoshop Elements replacement. I say Photoshop Elements, do to lack of 16 bit and CMYK support.

>

• 98. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                          dnoonie1

I think Android will help the Linux market.

Android on tablets will push developers on solve many of the issues

that have been pointed out in this thread.  I'm not saying people will want to run Photoshop on their phones and tablets, I'm saying that because Android is running on these devices it will force developers to work on the issues pointed out above, making a better product for the more powerful Linux based GFX and editing systems.

Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe I don't understand the relationship between Android/Ubuntu/Red Hat.  Maybe some else here does?

DN

• 99. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                            whitequill Level 1

There are a number of products that I would just tell MIcrosoft to take a hike if they were on Linux. I use Windows because what I want to do is on Windows, not because Windows is my choice OS.

If the market moved from Windows to Linux I'd scrap Windows.  But I'm stuck on Windows because it does the job. Microsoft is only in business because all of the commercial software is here.  I'd love to see a shift across the board on the commercial front to Linux, not necessarily open source.  I'd leave Windows behind because its not caught up. It's behind and Microsoft knows it.

If Microsoft had to fight, they wouldn't know what to do.  They're so used to being Top Dog.

Linux is technologically behind, because its lacking in commercial software and doesn't need to upgrade to higher demands.  If a new demand is on the verge of happening, the Linux community will gladly put in their piece to make it work as its known to.  Seeing no port in development will simply make needed upgrades to Linux take longer!

Until the commercial market starts to penetrate more, we will appear to hind behind Windows. Because it does the job. Not because we want to.

The market you are trying to target is hidden on Windows.  Survey us, the users of Windows. because all the Linux geeks are happy with their OS because it does as they have designed it to.

The survey's show no go for Photoshop because the community isn't there. We're here, on Windows, wishing and praying we could use Photoshop on Linux.

If the commercial sector made a large shift to Linux, all the loyal users that don't want to be using Windows will go where they want to be.

The linux community just doesn't know how to cry out because we aren't a community to make noise when we want something; we do what we can and tinker till it works instead.

• 100. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                              dnoonie1 Level 1

I own a computer to run software, not to run an Operating System.  Some Operating System makers seem to have forgoten that it's not about them, it's about the software people run.  In the W2K days I used to think that Mac OS was the form over function OS, now I think the tables have turned.  I still run M$ OS's but not because I want to.  I want an OS that doesn't think that it's the only thing running on my computer, Mac OS and Win 7 don't fit that bill.

DN

• 101. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                morae.alvarez

Hello there! I have read all this thread with great hopes.

I am a Linux user and what I most miss are games and Photoshop.

Wine does the job of running both to a degree, but cs3 won't work very well and that is currently the bare minimum.

I understand the concerns of Adobe in this matter, but I agree that PS in Linux could and will tip things significantly.

I firmly believe that PS for Linux WILL bring  A LOT of users to Ubuntu and other mainstream distros (many of my fellow photographers for example). Users of more orthodox distros (such as myself, who use Arch Linux) are exactly the ones that don't need or care for software support (the comunity is support enough).

I am sure that support for Debian, Ubuntu and maybe Suse should be very simple or even unnacessary (if included in the software center of Ubuntu, PS would install with a single click and just work like all other apps there, for example).

I don't believe it would be so hard to port PS to Ubuntu and include it in the Software Center. Indeed, if Adobe would give me 6 months I think I could do this myself, or any other competent programmer for that matter. I would do it for free or for a licence. I would even sign a contract to protect Adobe and their source code.

This would eliminate the so dreaded cost of porting.

I would do this for the mere satisfaction of it and to bring Windows (which I very much dislike and consider a weight over prosperity) to where it belongs (the history blogs).

I don't think that's unreasonable.

• 102. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                  bushmanza

Dear Chris Cox,

I am one of the millions of Ubuntu users that you say does not want to pay for software. I use Linux not because its free, but because its better. I run a large ISP in my country and have around 70 web developers and engineers working under me. I can honestly say that the only thing keeping our company on Microsoft Windows is your company. We would happily purchase Linux versions of Adobe software (Photoshop and Macromedia) if we could, but because of your policies we are stuck with systems that require more maintinence, that are a security risk and that degrade over time. Thanks for a great product, no thanks for locking us into Microsoft.

I find the excuse that "Linux users dont want to pay" pretty silly. As most would. Perhaps that might have being true in the past, but its certainly not now. Over the years I have met hundreds of developers and designers that have wanted to move to Linux but the only thing keeping them on MS Windows was your products.

Luckily most vendors have matured up and are starting to develop cross platfrom. One of our other popular design tools (and competition to Dreamweaver), Netbeans have cross platform products.

In my spare time I play a new game called Heroes of Newerth. Its pretty popular, apparently they are not worried about the lack of Linux users buying their software as they made a wonderful Linux client. I paid for it.

I use Cedega and Crossover Office, two other Linux products that you believe we apparently wont pay for.

I say your excuses smell rotton. Being a Linux user and knowing many (who are paid very well and pay for their software and music), I cant thing of one person who would not purchase the business tools if given the chance. I dont know if your really well paid marketing teams just hung around University software labs or something to get those figures but the fact of the matter is the next generation is going Linux and you are holding millions of people back.

I honestly dont know whether this is because of laziness or kickbacks from Microsoft. Its certainly not because of the lack of numbers. I see your company had the decency to do a small linux port of Photoshop. To Android....

So Chris, I have you to personally thank for the extended costs to my company as we are forced to embrace an insecure, unreliable operating system to use your wonderful product.

I really hope you guys change, or there is a change of leadership at Adobe in the near future. Would hate to see you fall too far behind.

Kind regards,

Annoyed user

• 103. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 8
                                                    So Chris, I have you to personally thank for the extended costs to my company

As you are a business professional could you explain how you arrive at the conclusion that one Senior Computer Scientist is personally responsible for Adobe’s decision not to port Photoshop to Linux?

Do you have intimate knowledge of Adobe’s decision-making processes?

• 104. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                      bushmanza Level 1

The "you" was ment to imply the people at Adobe responsible for making these bad decisions. It was poorly worded, and while I started the email to "Dear Chris", it was more directed at the company and the people responsible there. Hope that clears up my post.

I honestly did not think that would cause confusion

I really hope Microsoft pays Adobe well for not writing a Linux client. Its saving Microsoft massive profits while externalizing them onto us.

I still find it fascinating how companies with 1% of the resources Adobe has... are able to write Linux versions of software, yet Adobe always has an excuse. Heck, even Skype have a Linux version of their software.

Off the top of my head there must be a dozen applications I use that software devs at those companies were able to push out Linux clients. Chrome, Skype, HoN, Firefox, Google Earth, Acronis,

If the devs are confused which distrobution to build for.. thats simple. The best desktop at the moment is Ubuntu. Write a Linux client and I will pay for it. Its that simple.

Skype get my money, because I have it attached to my credit card and I make calls to land lines through it.

Google get my money because Google Apps work so well.

S2 Games gets my money because they wrote a linux client for my favorite game.

I want to give Adobe more money, but the added costs of running Microsoft machines limits how many people I can have running your product.

Even my wife whom is a doctor, wants to move to Linux, but she loves her photography and loves editing her photos with your product, so she is forced to wait until the day Adobe plays catch up.

• 105. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                        voipster3 Level 1

Dear bushmanza

If you are willing to give thousands of dollars to adobe who won't or cannot change, please go and support the opensource gimp and give them the needed hand to build a competitive product. They are in need of donation and developers and with the budget you have it will be a great boost. Even if adobe is willing to port they will definitely not give you a full solution and will be crippled in many ways as they have a commitment to Microsoft. Please everyone stop complaining here as adobe is not interested in a growing market and will not be in the near future unless they are being cornered. If you are really in need of a competitive product go support gimp, kitra or other opensouce alternative and let them have the money you're giving away to a company not interested in what you need.

Support opensource

Cheers

Eric

• 106. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8
                                                          Even if adobe is willing to port they will definitely not give you a full solution and will be crippled in many ways as they have a commitment to Microsoft.

I would be interested in how Photoshop being fully functional on Macintosh factors into your assessment of this situation.

• 107. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                            voipster3 Level 1

Dear c.pfaffenbichler

I have not any assesment on Mac since we do not use any Mac OS here. Since having bad reviews from other users using it I guess it is an unwise investment. We have been using CS2 on windows only.

• 108. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                              Level 7

If you are willing to give thousands of dollars to adobe who won't or cannot change,

How nice of you to jump in without reading the topic at hand.

Adobe is very interested in new markets.

Again, the simple fact is that if you want commercial applications on Linux, first Linux users need to be willing to pay for commercial applications.

As long as Linux users are not willing to pay for commercial applications, there won't be commercial applications available on Linux.

Plain simple economics.  We're a public company and have to show a profit - so we can't spend money porting to a platform that won't cover the costs of the port.

as they have a commitment to Microsoft

And thank you for that piece of B.S. to show just how informed and serious you are.

If you want change on Linux, then Linux has to change from within.

• 109. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                                voipster3 Level 1

Dear Chris

I am sure any kind of commercial company is in it for profits no questions there. Anyway I really don't care if cs is ever going into linux, I personally hope it doesn't. I just want others here to go support opensource gimp, krita, Cinepaint.

Tks for the reply

• 110. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                                  Level 7

So you hope that Linux never develops, never matures, and never develops customers willing to pay for software?

I think we have a new name for self-defeat.

• 111. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 8
                                                                    I have not any assesment on Mac since we do not use any Mac OS here.

But the existence of a fully functional non-Microsoft version does not stop you from claiming that Adobe has »a commitment to Microsoft« that would make them »definitely not give you (Linux-users) a full solution and will be crippled in many ways«?

• 112. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                                      voipster3 Level 1

Dear Chris

Since that adobe is already convninced that there is no future with linux why waste time. I just want everyone else to know there are other options available that has potential than just CS. Linux will definetly mature and advance further with or without Adobe just that having an application from Adobe will make the process quicker. Photoshop has helped me in the past and present but we need to move on to the future of more creativity and not hampered by locked  in solutions. I am sad that you are attacking people like me to show how high you are. I have not attacked you in anyway nor bad mouthing Adobe or their products just disappointed in the decision based primarily on figures and not the real voice of the users. If you felt I have offended you personally in anyway I am ready to appologize.

• 113. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                                        RuyBlanco

Really, really, there must some shady deal between Adobe, Microsoft and Apple. A collusion, perhaps ??? Anyway, I guess Adobe is waiting someone with big bucks to step in. Since Linux shares the same POSIX nature from MacOSX, it would not be that hard to port it to Linux. Or even using libwine(Picasa), that would be possible. But my guess is: Adobe is waiting for Google, to release an Android version of Photoshop.

Or whatever operating system Google commits to. But, it's just MHO.

• 114. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                                          bushmanza Level 1

Hi Eric,

I just want to be clear on something, while I support FOSS I actually dont care if its free or not. I need the best tool for the job. Gimp while well meaning, is not a very decent tool. Its more a threat to MS Paint than to Adobe Photoshop.

There is simply no way I can ask my designers and devs to use a sub-standard product like Gimp. Also, this goes beyond just Photoshop. In our line of work, Dreamweaver walks hand in hand with Photoshop, so it would definitly need to be both power house solutions.

I wish Gimp the best of luck, but I think they are very far away from being the best product on the market. So far as servers go, Linux is the best product (which is why 91% of the worlds top 500 super computers run it and why most of the Internet is Linux). So far as desktops go, Ubuntu has just pulled ahead of Microsoft in security, stability and performance. It brings down the total cost to company along with its increased performance.

I have no problem with Adobe products, I use them all the time, and I am grateful for the ports they have done already (Flash, Adobe Reader and such).

In our office we would like to impliment a Google like policy. No Microsoft machines due to security reasons. We are just waiting on Adobe to finish our migration.

Based on the performance of desktops, the sale of netbooks its not a matter of if Adobe will write a Linux client, but when. The only reason people are still in Microsoft Windows is because of a handful of applications like Adobe Photoshop thats keeping everyone with them. As the applications port to linux one by one, uptake in the market will happen.

Kind regards and best luck with Gimp.

• 115. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                                            mr.ubuntu Level 1

Hi bushmanza,

I agree that Gimp is not a full substitute for Photoshop. There are

still some key functions missing.

But saying it is more like MS Paint shows, that you either don't know

Gimp very well or you don't know MS Paint. This is simply absolutely

wrong. Gimp is quite powerfull if you know it well.

I can do most Photshop tutorials with gimp. Please try that with MS

Paint

Regards

pAt

Am Montag, den 28.02.2011, 05:34 -0700 schrieb bushmanza:

Hi Eric,

I just want to be clear on something, while I support FOSS I actually dont care if its free or not. I need the best tool for the job. Gimp while well meaning, is not a very decent tool. Its more a threat to MS Paint than to Adobe Photoshop.

There is simply no way I can ask my designers and devs to use a sub-standard product like Gimp. Also, this goes beyond just Photoshop. In our line of work, Dreamweaver walks hand in hand with Photoshop, so it would definitly need to be both power house solutions.

I wish Gimp the best of luck, but I think they are very far away from being the best product on the market. So far as servers go, Linux is the best product (which is why 91% of the worlds top 500 super computers run it and why most of the Internet is Linux). So far as desktops go, Ubuntu has just pulled ahead of Microsoft in security, stability and performance. It brings down the total cost to company along with its increased performance.

I have no problem with Adobe products, I use them all the time, and I am grateful for the ports they have done already (Flash, Adobe Reader and such).

In our office we would like to impliment a Google like policy. No Microsoft machines due to security reasons. We are just waiting on Adobe to finish our migration.

Based on the performance of desktops, the sale of netbooks its not a matter of if Adobe will write a Linux client, but when. The only reason people are still in Microsoft Windows is because of a handful of applications like Adobe Photoshop thats keeping everyone with them. As the applications port to linux one by one, uptake in the market will happen.

Kind regards and best luck with Gimp.

>

• 116. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                                              Level 7

Since that adobe is already convninced that there is no future with linux why waste time.

Again, that is not the case.

PLEASE read the existing replies in this topic.

We're just waiting on the Linux community to develop into a viable market.

• 117. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                                                Level 7

Really, really, there must some shady deal between Adobe, Microsoft and Apple

Really?  Rather than understand the limitations of your current OS and it's user community, or do anything to improve the situation, you'd rather cry about a ridiculous non-existent conspiracy?

Since Linux shares the same POSIX nature from MacOSX, it would not be that hard to port it to Linux.

POSIX has little to do with it.  Maybe a few memory management calls, and some threading, but that's it.

The rest is the Cocoa API, Carbon API, etc.

Again, standardizing the APIs on Linux would lower the cost of making a port -- but the key ingredient that is missing is Linux users willing to pay for professional software.

• 118. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                                                  Level 7

I can do most Photshop tutorials with gimp.

Trying to compare Photoshop with an application that has, at best, 10% of it's features -- that really isn't helping your case.

If you think the GIMP is comparable to Photoshop, then perhaps you don't know as much about Photoshop as you think.

• 119. Re: PhotoShop For Linux ?
                                                                                    mr.ubuntu Level 1

Chris,

I didn't say that Gimp is as good as Photoshop,

I said it is not to be campared with MS Paint.

Photoshop has still much more functions, no doubt.

But you can reach the results also with gimp, beside

the 16 bit and CMYK stuff, with less comfort.

I am not sure if you are right with your 10% feature theory.

This would mean, that I would fail in 90% of all advanced

tutorials of Photoshop when doing it with Gimp, but in most

cases, I can do it as well.

But I would apreciate a port of Photoshop,

and would be ready to pay for it.

Regards

pAt

Am Montag, den 28.02.2011, 11:33 -0700 schrieb Chris Cox:

I can do most Photshop tutorials with gimp.

Trying to compare Photoshop with an application that has, at best, 10% of it's features -- that really isn't helping your case.

If you think the GIMP is comparable to Photoshop, then perhaps you don't know as much about Photoshop as you think.

>