13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2009 3:05 PM by ..Richard..

Capture problem

..Richard..

Hi

I'm using Premiere Elements 4 together with a Canon HV30. I am not new at computers in general but is a beginner in handling films. I have started to capture several tapes in order to build my library of personal clips.

Background:

The camcorder is connected through firewire to the computer. Every clip is equal to one DV-cassette (one hour more or less). The camera is set to HDV mode (1080i). Since I live in Sweden I assume it is PAL and 25 fps.

In PE I have created a project called Capture with sole purpose to capture my films into the computer and then be sorted into my library (handled by photoshop I dont know he english name but the translation of the swedish name will be "The sorter").

My problem is that the sound sound crashes and the same sentence repeat it self like a broken record (you know the old ones...  ). When I play the clip (mpeg) in windows media player it works. This problem seems to be in PE only.

I have tried to change the project settings from PAL 1080i to NTSC 1080i in case there were a format mismatch. I could not see any differences at all... I simply dont know what to do next! Please help!

Best regards

Richard

• 1. Re: Capture problem
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you capturing this video to your computer's main ("C") drive or to a second or external drive?

If the latter, ensure that these drives are all formatted NTFS and not FAT32.

Also, how fast is your computer's processor and how much RAM do you have?

• 2. Re: Capture problem
            ..Richard.. Level 1

It is a secondary harddisk (10000 rpm) formatted to NTFS. I have recently built a new computer with Intel i7 920 (2,67 GHz) processor, 6 GB RAM and Vista home premium 64 bit.

/Richard

• 3. Re: Capture problem
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Richard

Have you tried to capture firewire into HDVSplit (a free utility), and then bring the clips into Premiere Elements 4 with Premiere Elements 4's Get Media/Files & Folders?

http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

It would be interesting to learn if this makes a difference for Premiere Elements 4.

As an aside, Richard you know that Premiere Elements is a 32 bit application and in a 64 bit system runs in the 64 bit system's 32 bit compatibility mode. When this running, the maxium utilization RAM is 4 GB, even if you have 6 GB RAM installed.

ATR

• 4. Re: Capture problem
                ..Richard.. Level 1

I have analysed the captured film with the original tape at the point were the sound goes bad. It seems that there are a few seconds without any recording on the tape.  What I can see is that the time starts from zero despinte that about 15 minutes has been used of the tape. Will the time stamp be interruppted and cause my problem?

/Richard

• 5. Re: Capture problem
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Richard

Take a look at this link on Timecode FAQ and discontinuous timecode errors and see if it relates to your situation.

http://www.squarebox.co.uk/users/rolf/dv/tcfaq.htm

I will think about this some more.

ATR

• 6. Re: Capture problem
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Richard,

How did HDVSplit work for you. Normally, it handles broken Timecode better than the Adobe products.

Also, do see the link that ATR provided.

Broken Timecode can cause all sorts of Capture problems.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Capture problem
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Richard

Some additional comments...

My knowledge of capture of HDV (firewire, miniDV camcorder) is based solely on what I have read. There are numerous reports of failure to capture HDV into Premiere Elements, especially with these Canon miniDV camcorders offering DV/HDV. So, you will repeatedly see capture firewire into HDVSplit and then take the split clip into Premiere Elements Get Media/Files and Folders. If a user is having problems capturing DV, then the workaround typically is WinDV.

Premiere Elements does not (cannot) use timecode to split the HDV into clips. However, I believe that it will allow you to split the HDV into clips according to content, barring any capture problems inherant in the HDV capture firewire into Premiere Elements. Are you trying to capture with the Scene Detect with Timecode ON? If so, I would turn it OFF.

To be continued...

ATR

• 8. Re: Capture problem
                        ..Richard.. Level 1

I have now tried HDVsplit. It's a nice application but it didnt work for me. The same sound problem occured at the point were the gap is on the tape were the timecode is restarting (see earlier posts). I also saw that after import in PE the fps was 29,75 not 25. PE did something during a few minutes and the the clip was in 25 fps. Perhaps this is beside the topic but anyhow.

I checked PE and I didnt scene detection.

When I capture the tape in pieces the problem dont occur. After this and when I read ATRs last post, I draw the conclusion that the best strategy is to first analyse the tape and identify clips and then capture according to that.

What do you think, is this a good strategy not only given my problems but also in a general perspective?

• 9. Re: Capture problem
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I draw the conclusion that the best strategy is to first analyse the tape and identify clips and then capture according to that.

This is exactly how many professional editor work. They log their tapes and choose to only Capture exactly what they will need. PrPro allows one to do a Capture log file for this purpose, but I do not believe that PrE does. Still, one can manually do this. I'd create a form in Word, or similar, and then print out some copies of it. As you watch your tape, make note of the scenes and their TimeCode and then go back to Capture just those.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Capture problem
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Richard,

I just wanted to clear some things up:

1. Did HDVSplit work to split our video into clips, but just the clip adjacent to the gap had the same sound problem? Or, other? Did you do this HDVSplit by Timecode?

2. Is this sound problem just with this one tape from the Canon whether you try to capture this HDV via firewire with HDVSplit intervention or without the HDVSplit and with firewire direct to Premiere Elements? Or, are you having problems with other tapes with or without the gap?

3. Were you able to capture the HDV via firewire if you set the Premiere Elements to Scene Detect by Content rather than Scene Detect by Timecode. In all of these tests, are you capturing using device control? I was not clear on what you wrote about "I checked PE and I didnt scene detection".

4. This may be outside the target of the present issue, but I will mention it for possible consideration for use when appropriate. Look at downsizing the HDV to DV in the camcorder and then DV capturing firewire into Premiere Elements and see how that goes. In this scenario, if this DV capture did not work, you would use firewire connection and WinDV, instead of HDVSplit, to obtain your split clips to bring into Premiere Elements via Premiere Elements' Get Media/Files & Files.

But I suspect that all of the above is circling around the basic issue, not of HDV capture firewire into Premiere Elements which is notorious for its problems, but rather video problem related to a discontinuous timecode. Therefore I would think that capture where timecode is not the issue, like capture using Scene Detect by Content, should be one workaround.  But then again that may not split the clip the way you want.

Is it at all practical to copy the HDV video to your computer hard drive and then bring it into Premiere Elements Get Media/Files & Folders. Then once there you could trim the video into clips manually. We could go into the how to on that if necessary.

But, very important....are we talking one problem video or all problem video from that camcorder.

To be continued...

ATR

• 11. Re: Capture problem
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Richard,

I was just checking out your topic online and came across this Peachpit Press excerpt that I thought that might be of interest regarding: logging videotapes and other things.

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1247722&seqNum=2

There are also numerous articles on "Timecode Burns". But, everywhere I turn I run into "avoid broken timecodes at all costs".

ATR

• 12. Re: Capture problem
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                everywhere I turn I run into "avoid broken timecodes at all costs".

These can cause all sorts of issues. Once, it was recommended that one "stripe" each tape, but recording to it with the lens cap on. As tapes became much less expensive, the most common instruction is to NOT rewind/play/record any tape, and do not remove/reinsert/record any tape. I'd also add to not reuse any tape. The first two operations can cause broken TimeCodes and often troubles will follow.

I find that when these troubles do occur, I can still easily Capture, but in smaller sessions for each segment in between broken TimeCode. It's a bit more work, but I've had few problems.

Still, preventing these problems beforehand is the ideal.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Capture problem
                                  ..Richard.. Level 1

Hi

No I used HDV split to capture the complete tape in order to see if it could handle "the gap". As you wrote below, the scene detection split my video in "wrong" parts. I did get some warnings from HDVsplit as you can see in the picture below.

HDVsplit.jpg

Yes I have had sound problems with other tapes. But I have only used this tape during this discussion. All tapes work fine if I look at it directly in the camera. I dont think I have a problem with the camera.

I dont use scene detection at all. I tried a while ago but didnt get friendly with it. My plan was to capture everything on the tapes in to my library and set tags for future use. After having reading the article from you and advises from "the_wine_snob", I will change my strategy. I will now check the tapes and capture the tapes into smaller bits. I believe I will avoid the sound problem by doing this and also getting more useful clips in my library.

I will know restart my capturing work by doing the "dailies". During this I will see if I still have the problem. If I have a problem I hope that I can return to this forum.

For the time being I consider my question aswered. Thanks everyone for all advises and the effort you have put in to this question!!

Best regards

Richard