5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2009 9:59 PM by Jim_Simon

Frame rate issue with AVCHD and CS4

Cms12682

I've been using a Canon HG20 recently and the whole experience of AVCHD has been a nightmare. I finally have a computer that can handle playing the native files in the Premiere timeline but it looks like there's a problem with the frame rate. It was shot at 1920 x 1080 and the frame rate was set at 60i.

When starting a new project I used the AVCHD 60i preset and the clips don't need rendering which tells me the settings should be correct. But something is definitely very off. I thought there was a slight chance it was a performance problem so I tried burning footage to a DVD and it looks exactly the same. Here's a clip I uploaded that shows the problem:http://www.vimeo.com/6443990

Does this look familiar to anyone? Any ideas on what the disconnect between the camera's settings and Premiere's settings might be?

• 1. Re: Frame rate issue with AVCHD and CS4
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Just what are we supposed to be seeing?

• 2. Re: Frame rate issue with AVCHD and CS4
            Cms12682 Level 1

It looks like it might be skipping frames or something. The movement looks wrong.

Just realized something. Please forgive my ignorance, it's only my second day using CS4. The clips I place into the timeline have a yellow bar above them. So I'm guessing this means that the frame rate of the clip doesn't match the project settings. I've tried all of the AVCHD presets. I can't place a clip in any of them without the yellow bar. When I right click on a clip and select 'properties' it shows the frame rate is 29.97. So what's with the yellow bar if the project settings match that?

Is there a way to tell if the HG20 shoots in 24p over 60i? And if that's the case how does that affect my project presets?

I have to be making some kind of simple newbie mistake here.

• 3. Re: Frame rate issue with AVCHD and CS4
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When placing clips in the correct project settings 1080i30 (60i) anamorphic there should not be a colored bar at all.

Check interprete footage on a clip (rightclick) in the project window and see if the clips are properly interprete.

• 4. Re: Frame rate issue with AVCHD and CS4
                Cms12682 Level 1

When I click interpret footage all it tells me is that the clip is 29.9700 fps and square pixels. And the first project I tried to set up had these presets:

AVCHD>1080i30 (60i)

That should have done the trick I thought. Like I said, I tried all the AVCHD presets and I get a yellow or red bar in all of them. Am I supposed to be looking for something else when I right click interpret footage?

• 5. Re: Frame rate issue with AVCHD and CS4
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

It looks like it might be skipping frames or something.

OK.  I saw that.  My connection isn't the best, so I sometimes see that anyway depending on the bitrate of the uploaded file.

First thing is to test the footage outside of Premiere.  Use another player for the raw clips.  Or better yet, hook the camera up to an HDTV.