14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2009 8:25 PM by Jeff Schewe

Lightroom 2.4 won't open Camera Raw 5.5

Leo Teles Level 1

Hi,

I've got installed Photoshop CS4 on my system and Lightroom 2.4. Recently, after I installed the updates for Photoshop (i.e. ACR 5.5) and Lightroom (from 2.0 to 2.4) I noticed that I no longet could open my RAW (.NEF for Nikon D40) files from Lightroom directly into ACR 5.5

Usually, when I selected 'Edit' 'Edit in Photoshop CS4' Photoshop would launch and ACR would be the first stage in post processing, allowing me to open a file in Photoshop that would suit all of my filters and also allow me to save it in JPEG. What do I do to make it move back to open ACR directly, instead of sending the image to the normal Photoshop desktop ? It only happens with LIghtroom, when I select the file directly from the disk, ACR opens automatically.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Lightroom 2.4 won't open Camera Raw 5.5
          JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

It's a little unclear what has changed.  Are you saying that at one time your raw files with open from Lightroom directly into ACR?  I am still using Photoshop CS3 along with Lightroom 2.4.  My normal workflow is that Lightroom opens the file directly into Photoshop without ever opening ACR.  All of the camera raw technology is part of Lightroom, so (as I understand it) there is no need to go from Lightroom to Camera Raw.  However, I understand that things are different with Photoshop CS4.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 2.4 won't open Camera Raw 5.5
            Leo Teles Level 1

Hey Jim,

Thanks for you help. That is right! Unless I am going crazy I am pretty sure (I'd say 99%) that before whilst working upon Lightroom and asked for a RAW (NEF) file to be opened on CS4 (workflow EDIT -> EDIT on PHOTOSHOP CS4) I would have ACR openned for edit. That suits me perfectly, as the NEF file can't be easily saved on JPEG and makes my workflow easier. Also, some of my filters seems not to work on NEF for some strange reason.

Does anyone know how to teach LIghtroom to open my RAW files directly into ACR ? That would be pretty helpful. Thanks

• 3. Re: Lightroom 2.4 won't open Camera Raw 5.5
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

Leo Teles wrote:

What do I do to make it move back to open ACR directly, instead of sending the image to the normal Photoshop desktop ?

I think you are mistaken...Lightroom 2 and CS4 has never popped Camera Raw open with an Edit in Photoshop command. If you want to open in Photoshop, do so...but the ONLY way to to use Camera Raw 5.x from Lightroom 2.x is when using Smart Objects.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 2.4 won't open Camera Raw 5.5
                Leo Teles Level 1

I'm really confused now. I'm pretty sure I've done that before. Specially because I could edit with all my filters the file and save it as a JPEG (and I've done it). I have just tried to open it as a smart object, also it opens as a TIFF in Photoshop. No camera RAW.

What have I done than to have Camera Raw open before? :-/

I just uninstalled all of my CS4 and Lightroom (including filters, keywords, etc) and installed it all. Same problem...

Must be a way to do so, would make the workflow easier and more logical as we could work the NEF open in CS4, save as in JPEG without having to open from Bridge or the explorer directly.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 2.4 won't open Camera Raw 5.5
                  JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

After you have opened that smart object into Photoshop, if you double-click on the smart object it will open it in camera raw.  But if you have had a setup where it opened directly from Lightroom into ACR something is not right because that is not the normal workflow.  Jeff has indicated that is the case, and he should know.  He has written THE book on Camera Raw.  You must be mistaken.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 2.4 won't open Camera Raw 5.5
                    Leo Teles Level 1

Alright. That's official then: I'm going completely crazy. LOL

Thank's for the help indeed. Thank you very much for your answer Jeff.

One last question, what is the advantage of opening the picture as a 'smart object' ? Please forgive me my ignorance and I promise this will be the last question.

Regards

• 7. Re: Lightroom 2.4 won't open Camera Raw 5.5
                      JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

There is really a lot more to Smart objects than can be answered on a forum like this.  One advantage is that when you apply Photoshop filters the filters are attached to the Smart object in a "layer" style that you can modify later if required.

Added later: another advantage is that you can go back to Camera Raw and modify the underlying raw image when necessary.

• 8. Re: Lightroom 2.4 won't open Camera Raw 5.5
                        Leo Teles Level 1

Brilliant. Thanks a lot for your help. Opening as a Smart object would then solve another problema of mine. Will read more about smart object on CS4.

Regards.

• 9. Re: Lightroom 2.4 won't open Camera Raw 5.5
                          vinsolo-TR1ZPE Level 1

i am a month or so behind the thread but i, too, have got used to opening a file via "external edit" from LR2.5 directly into camera raw as was originally noted in this thread by mr. teles. Files in jpg, tif,nef all opened as camera raw. now that i use snow leopard 10.6.1 that no longer happens, although i am not certain when this change occurred. i use an imac intel core 2 duo.

i absolutely agree with mr.teles remarks. i know of mr schewe and his credentials but i, too, have been puzzled by this weirdness. ANYONE ELSE?

• 10. Re: Lightroom 2.4 won't open Camera Raw 5.5
                            Jeff Schewe Level 5

vinsolo wrote:

i am a month or so behind the thread but i, too, have got used to opening a file via "external edit" from LR2.5 directly into camera raw as was originally noted in this thread by mr. teles.

Uh no, seriously you never have opened a file from within Lightroom 2.x into Camera Raw. The _ONLY_ way to do that is to select the file in Library, choose Show File Path and then double click on the file. That and on;y that will open the file into Camera Raw.

What you _DO_ see if working on a non-raw file is the Lightroom dlog asking if you want to open the original or a copy or open the file with the Lightroom adjustments applied.

Lightroom 1.x also showed that dlog even with raw files but for 2.x it was changed to bypass that dlog as it was unneeded...

• 11. from lightroom to acr
                              vinsolo-TR1ZPE Level 1

mr schewe. i respectfully disagree. i can use the "edit in photoshop cs4" command and as long as i select "edit copy" or "edit original" the image will open in acr 5.5. i refer here to jpgs and tifs, not RAW. i select an image in library, press command E and select one of the 2 options i mentioned above and the image opens in acr 5.5

i am on imac 24", use lr2.5 and PSCS4.

i am probably wrong and look forward to a response.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 2.4 won't open Camera Raw 5.5
                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is a setting in Photoshop that says whether to use ACR to open JPGs and TIFs or not.  I suspect the behavior you're describing is with that setting enabled, and the behavior JS is describing is without that setting enabled.

• 13. Re: Lightroom 2.4 won't open Camera Raw 5.5
                                  vinsolo-TR1ZPE Level 1

yes about the camera raw settings. i do have the option in camera raw preferences set to open all supported files into camera raw.

i suppose this explains the confusion on my part.

thank you so much for your help.

• 14. Re: from lightroom to acr
                                    Jeff Schewe Level 5

vinsolo wrote:

i am probably wrong and look forward to a response.

The OP was referring to NEF's (raw files) and my post was directed also to raw files...