9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2010 3:59 PM by the_wine_snob

Dead space at end of project I can't delete

makonl

Astounding program!  However my current project somehow is convinced that the duration of the movie (when exporting) is 10 minutes longer than what I intend, with resultant dead space in the mpeg.  I presume this has resulted from my moving clips onto the time line for editing, which were far longer than the final product, but I have searched for any leftover scraps on my timeline which might extend the project, with no joy.  I can't find any way to define the end of my project at the point I desire, that is at the conclusion of my soundtrack.

Anyone else run into this?

• 1. Re: Dead space at end of project I can't delete
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Running across the top of the Timeline horizontally is a gray bar called WorkArea Bar. At the end of this WorkArea Bar are two tiny gray tabs, one at the beginning of the Timeline and one at the end of the Timeline content. These two tabs need to positioned to span the length of the Timeline that you intend to export. Make sure that one is placed at the beginning of your Timeline content and the other at its end.

Then Share/Personal Computer/MPEG. In the MPEG dialog area before you click Save, make sure that the "Share WorkArea bar Only" is checked.

When you are gauging your Timeline content, handy shortcuts are:

a. pressing the Home key of the keyboard to the right of the main keyboard to bring your Timeline Indicator to the beginning.

b. pressing the End key of the keyboard to the right of the main keyboard to bring your Timeline Indicator to the end.

Please let me know if that helped.

ATR

• 2. Re: Dead space at end of project I can't delete
            makonl Level 1

Thanks for that

I will try that (I'm presently at work).  Is there no way to make that 10 minutes of dead space in the project go away forever?

• 3. Re: Dead space at end of project I can't delete
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Setting the WorkAreaBar tabs on the Timeline and making sure that you have "Share WorkArea Bar Only" checked in the MPEG export dialog, should do the job.

But, let me know how that goes. Did you move those tiny gray tabs on the Timeline by mistake before export?

ATR

• 4. Re: Dead space at end of project I can't delete
                A.T. Romano Level 7

I knew that I saw this problem before. This looks like another user with a similar problem. The link is from another forum that I frequent....

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48493

ATR

• 5. Re: Dead space at end of project I can't delete
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You likely have "orphans." These are Clips, or pieces of Clips, that are beyond where you think your Timeline should end. Hit the \ key to view the entire Timeline. You should now see the orphans. Check them out, but you can just lasso them and hit delete to clear them. Your Duration should be fine then.

I use the \ key as a final check of my Timeline, even if I do not notice a problem. You can also hit the End key and see where that takes you - likely to the orphans.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Dead space at end of project I can't delete
                    makonl Level 1

Thanks, using the Timeline markers allowed me to overcome this problem.  The dead space remains in my project (no orphans in sight) but I can ignore it.

• 7. Re: Dead space at end of project I can't delete
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure what would be causing the "dead space," except for orphans, or similar.

You can also use the WAB (Work Area Bar) to Export just what you want from the Timeline. This will eliminate any "dead space."

Out of curiosity, when you've given focus to the Timeline and hit the End key, where does the CTI (Current Time Indicator) go to? Does it go beyond where you think the last Clip is? With it at the End, if you change the magnification to the max (Frame Level View), is there anything there - anything at all?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Dead space at end of project I can't delete
                        glb1232

It seems that the mixdown function uses the WorkAreaBar as the start and stop points for mixing down the audio. This is good in that it gives you the ability to easily select a region of audio to mix down. The problem is that, after editing the tracks for a while, the end of the WorkAreaBar is bound to be greater than the total audio.

Knowing this, it is fairly simple to set the WorkAreaBar to the desired points and export the audio. However, I feel that a program should adapt to a user, and not the other way around. In other words, it should detect that there is no audio between the end of the last clip and the end of the WorkAreaBar and omit it from the mixdown.

All that being said, I still think that this version of Adobe Audition is by far the best audio editing software that I have come across, on both the PC and Mac platform.

• 9. Re: Dead space at end of project I can't delete
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

So Audition has been released for the Mac? I knew that it was in the works, but did not quite expect it so soon.

Now, maybe Adobe will go back to including it in the suites, as it was up until CS2. Then, when CS3 went X-platform, Soundbooth was developed, which was also X-platform. While a nice little program, it was not up to Audition. Thanks for the H/U, and I also agree that it's a great program. I do not know how I'd get by without it.

Hunt

[Edit] Just looked, thinking I'd see Audition 4 (X-platform) at the Adobe store. I think that I misunderstood your reference to PC or Mac - my bad. Still, Audition 4 is coming, and it will be X-platform.