9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2008 7:21 AM by g-s-b

Offline Flex Database Non-Air

I'm building an image viewer that has several GBs of imagery data.

We will ship the images on a DL-DVD to computers around the world. Since most are used in a strictly controlled environment and don't have permission to install anything on their machines, Adobe Air is out, but would be perfect for our needs.

The problem I'm having is organizing several GBs worth of imagery into XML files. It's over 150,000 entries and is a nightmare for bookkeeping. I saw Air supported SQLite. Can I use that with Flex -Air? If not, is there another solution besides XML I can use offline in a browser to keep records of where images are and metadata about them?

In a nutshell, we're just building a website, but instead of running it on a server, they will open the .html page from a dvd. Whatever would work on a server, should work here.
        • 1. Re: Offline Flex Database Non-Air
          Level 7

"ei8htyfi5e" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g6bbug$qaa$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'm building an image viewer that has several GBs of imagery data.
          >
          > We will ship the images on a DL-DVD to computers around the world. Since
          > most
          > are used in a strictly controlled environment and don't have permission to
          > install anything on their machines, Adobe Air is out, but would be perfect
          > for
          > our needs.
          >
          > The problem I'm having is organizing several GBs worth of imagery into XML
          > files. It's over 150,000 entries and is a nightmare for bookkeeping. I
          > saw
          > Air supported SQLite. Can I use that with Flex -Air? If not, is there
          > another
          > solution besides XML I can use offline in a browser to keep records of
          > where
          > images are and metadata about them?
          >
          > In a nutshell, we're just building a website, but instead of running it on
          > a
          > server, they will open the .html page from a dvd. Whatever would work on
          > a
          > server, should work here.

...except that a server is actually running server software. Your users
          probably aren't, and you'd need access to their systems to be able to tell
          the server software that they aren't running where your "website" is.

So, in a word, no.

Would be nice though :-)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Offline Flex Database Non-Air
            wkolcz Level 1
            Could you package an Access database file on the DVD? Its a file rather than a server system. Not sure about the writing issues of the Access file on a DVD.

Why again wouldn't you just use XML?
            • 3. Re: Offline Flex Database Non-Air
              I don't need to write to the database, just read from it. Can Flex read from an Access database without a middleman? The Flex engineers I've been talking to say that's impossible... Do you know something they don't?

I can't use XML because the amount of images we have is far to large to be stored into an XML. What I was going to do was split the XML into many XML files, but I would have to create 125,000 XML files to make this work.
              • 4. Re: Offline Flex Database Non-Air
                ntsiii Level 3
                I won't say this is impossible, but it would be extremely difficult. I advise you to reconsider your technology choices.

Hmm, there are "projectors" that turn a swf into an exe, perhaps there is a similar way to turn an AIR app into an exe? I surely do not know, but that would be a great solution.

Tracy
                • 5. Re: Offline Flex Database Non-Air
                  Level 7

"ei8htyfi5e" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:g6d4ci$qeh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >I don't need to write to the database, just read from it. Can Flex read
                  >from
                  > an Access database without a middleman? The Flex engineers I've been
                  > talking
                  > to say that's impossible... Do you know something they don't?

From AIR if someone got around to writing AS3 Access drivers, it might be
                  possible.

> I can't use XML because the amount of images we have is far to large to be
                  > stored into an XML. What I was going to do was split the XML into many
                  > XML
                  > files, but I would have to create 125,000 XML files to make this work.

If you had a tool that automated this, it would be relatively easy :-). You
                  might want to consider starting with Access and developing an export
                  process.

• 6. Re: Offline Flex Database Non-Air
                    Gregory Lafrance Level 6
                    You could create a Flex app to manage the image data in one or more xml file. You don't want to be afraid to use xml, just don't try to manage it manually as a raw text file. A nice Flex app would manage it for you. Keep your xml element and attribute names concise yet useful and you will be all set.
                    • 7. Re: Offline Flex Database Non-Air
                      Level 7

"ntsiii" <tspratt@lariatinc.com> wrote in message
                      news:g6db3a$48m$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >I won't say this is impossible, but it would be extremely difficult. I
                      >advise
                      > you to reconsider your technology choices.
                      >
                      > Hmm, there are "projectors" that turn a swf into an exe, perhaps there is
                      > a
                      > similar way to turn an AIR app into an exe? I surely do not know, but
                      > that
                      > would be a great solution.

I use Authorware with Flex embedded, sort of to solve this need, but we came
                      at it from the other way. We started out in Authorware and built a solid
                      engine to host content from an Access db and external files on DVD. But
                      when Authorware's EOD was announced, we decided to build any new
                      functionality in Flex and finish the port when either Authorware stops
                      working in some future OS or when AIR is grown up enough to handle running
                      off a DVD and using ODBC.

Some people like Zinc for this. Director works also.

• 8. Offline Flex Database Non-Air
                        Kurrykid Level 3
                        quote:

Originally posted by: ei8htyfi5e
                        I don't need to write to the database, just read from it. Can Flex read from an Access database without a middleman? The Flex engineers I've been talking to say that's impossible... Do you know something they don't?

As mentioned by Amy, Zinc can access an Access database very easily. Zinc is a wrapper for Flash and Flex. It allows you to bypass the "middleware" with Flash and Flex and get directly to your database. It has worked well with several projects I have put together and has much more functionality as a bonus.
                        • 9. Re: Offline Flex Database Non-Air
                          g-s-b Level 1
                          ...as Greg said above, you should try XML.
                          Zinc is a nice product but produces a "standalone" application and not a "web site."

If AIR is your first choice well then Zinc should be your second. But if you want a "web site" compatible application, then try XML with a directory(s) of images.