3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2009 2:23 PM by chostetler15

Problem rendering in HD

chostetler15

so i am really new to this and i am already stumbling on some problems. i got a new camera, that shoots 1280x720 HD .mov files. i editted the file and tried to reder them under the same HD resolution (1280x720) in the .AVI format and when i tried to play it on windows media player (and VLC media player) the new video was now super jumpy, it is slow and glitches from frame to frame skipping many frames in between. all settings are the same 30fps etc. i lowered the resolution to half 640x480 and the rendering was smoth, but i got the HD camera to have HD file quality, not 640x480. so i am confused i dont know what i am doing wrong. it looks wonderful after i RAM preview it

oh and also there is no audio being rendered. is that usual? i get audio when i RAM preview as well. i couldnt find any audio settings, but any answers would be great

Thanks

• 1. Re: Problem rendering in HD
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

chostetler: A 720p video file with lossless or uncompressed encoding can have a data rate of 80-100 MBs per second.

Most hard drives can't keep u p with such a high data rate and that's why the video file skips frames so badly when you attempt to play it back. People who need to play back such files often use RAID levels in which multiple hard drives are stripped together and formatted as a single volume to obtain that kind of sustained speed.

Many users use these uncompressed or lossless files as a master, from which they produce distribution versions with aggressive compression for different needs. You feed your master file to a dedicated encoding application (such as Adobe Media Encoder). These encoding applications don't require to play those files in real time for full frame rate playback (encoding happens way more slowly), so they the high data rate is not an issue.

In any case, you can export your file as 720p HD, but using compressed formats, like H264, or using lossy codecs in Quicktime (like Photo JPEG) or AVI files.

• 2. Re: Problem rendering in HD
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The default Lossless render setting is just that - it always generates an uncompressed movie, whose data rates at HD res are way too high to be played from normal hard drives. As explained, you need to work with a compressed format. For more info on that, check the Basics of Rendering and Exporting section of the help file. It also provides info regarding your missing audio.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Problem rendering in HD
              chostetler15 Level 1

thanks that worked perfect. you guys are awesome and a quick help!