4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2009 12:18 PM by cb@dc

Color Balance off - printing from HP Photosmart B8550 in CS4

cb@dc

I am using Photoshop CS4, an Apple Cinema Display, and an HP Photosmart B8550. My OS is 10.5.8 (Leopard).  I have the box with Sno Leopard sitting on my desk, but I'm haven't installed it yet having seen on some discussion boards that some users are having problems printing from CS4.

The print options I have set to use Photoshop for Color Management.  All the color cartridges are above 60% full.

When I print the colors on the prints bear no relationship to what is on the screen (or some relationship, but not good).  There is too much red/pink on the prints and insufficient yellow.  I have a photo of a rockface in Arizona where the boulders (in fact and on the screen) have a lot of blue, and some sand/yellowish hightlights.  The boulders print out with a reddish tint.  I have another photo that I took in Santa Fe where the sky is a deep Cerulian Blue - it prints out as a dark turquoise.

I have tried all the available rendering options:  saturation, absolute colormatrix, relative colormatrix, and perceptual and all turn out poor (same problems as listed above with small differences).

I have posted a related query on HP's print quality discussion forum, but I expect on this forum there are many users with signficant experience with color managment, color balancy and any problems with particular printers.  I would appreciate assistance. 

• 1. Re: Color Balance off - printing from HP Photosmart B8550 in CS4
          Rick McCleary Level 3

It sounds like a color management issue. I'd look at two things:

1) In the Photoshop Print dialog box, be sure that you have chosen Photoshop Manages Colors under Color Handling. Also, be sure that you have chosen the proper ICC profile by selecting the appropriate HP paper profile under Printer Profile.

2) In the HP Print driver dialog (which comes up after you hit "Print" in the Photoshop Print dialog), be sure that you choose to have the application manage colors. I'm not familiar with the HP driver, so I can't tell you exactly what that setting is called or will look like in the dialog box.

Double check those things and see what happens.

Good luck!

(And yes, definitely leave Snow Leopard in the box for a while longer...)

• 2. Re: Color Balance off - printing from HP Photosmart B8550 in CS4
            John Danek Level 4

I wonder if you've ever been able to get usable prints in previous versions of Photoshop?  Also, which RGB are your images?  Have your drivers been updated lately?

• 3. Re: Color Balance off - printing from HP Photosmart B8550 in CS4
              cb@dc Level 1

I'll try that now as I still have CS3 on my computer.

Drivers are up to date - I just checked via the HP software update on my

computer.  It says it was last updated on July 8 2009.  On HP's site, it

speaks of a version dating from July 2008.  It could be the latter is the

basic software and not the updates.  I find it hard to find things on their

site.

I¹ve checked for ICC paper profiles on their site but can¹t find it the way

apparently it is on Epsom¹s site.  In the print dialogue box, if I select

paper quality a huge list of papers comes up (I¹m assuming those are the

ICC profile).  I select B8550 Advanced Photography Paper.

Color is set to Adobe RGB 1998.

I don¹t have any of the monitor calibration tools other than the built-in

one, but I¹ve set the gamma to 2.2 and delta to .65.   (I¹m going to bring

up the most recent problem photo on my MacBook Air and see if it looks the

same as on my Cinema Display.)

I¹ll experiment and see if there is a difference with CS3, although I doubt

it.  I know I could change the color balance using either CS3 or CS4 but I

want to trouble-shoot the printer first before I start compensating.

Any suggestions you may have, I¹d appreciate.

C.

Corinne Bronfman

202-296-9595 (home & work)

202-361-2924 (cell)

cbronfman@corinnebronfman.com

Reply-To: <clearspace-1722239168-500281-2-2231751@mail.forums.adobe.com>

Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 10:29:41 -0600

To: Corinne Bronfman <cbronfman@corinnebronfman.com>

Subject: Color Balance off - printing from HP Photosmart

B8550 in CS4

I wonder if you've ever been able to get usable prints in previous versions of

Photoshop?  Also, which RGB are your images?  Have your drivers been updated

lately?

>

• 4. Re: Color Balance off - printing from HP Photosmart B8550 in CS4
                cb@dc Level 1

Thanks for the response.  I¹ve been doing what you suggest.

• Photoshop Manages Color under color handling.

• I can¹t find the specific ICC paper profile on HP¹s site, but when I¹m in

the printer dialogue box just before I hit print I select paper quality

(instead of color management) and up comes a long list of papers (which I¹m

assuming are the ICC profiles).  I¹ve been selecting B8550 Advance Photo

Paper which is the paper I¹ve been using.

• I don¹t think so, but I¹m wondering it I could have a monitor calibration

issue I don¹t have any of the software sold specifically for the purpose

mainly because I¹m afraid to clamp any color meter on my Cinema Display and

find it¹s left a mark.  So for the present in the color sync utility all

I¹ve done is set the gamma to 2.2 and the delta to .65. I¹m also going to

bring up the current problem photo on my MacBook Air and see if the color

looks different than it does on my main display.

Any other suggestions, I¹d appreciate.

Corinne Bronfman

202-296-9595 (home & work)

202-361-2924 (cell)

cbronfman@corinnebronfman.com

Reply-To: <clearspace-902514317-500281-2-2229824@mail.forums.adobe.com>

Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 07:12:37 -0600

To: Corinne Bronfman <cbronfman@corinnebronfman.com>

Subject: Color Balance off - printing from HP Photosmart

B8550 in CS4

It sounds like a color management issue. I'd look at two things:

1) In the Photoshop Print dialog box, be sure that you have chosen Photoshop

Manages Colors under Color Handling. Also, be sure that you have chosen the

proper ICC profile by selecting the appropriate HP paper profile under Printer

Profile.

2) In the HP Print driver dialog (which comes up after you hit "Print" in the

Photoshop Print dialog), be sure that you choose to have the application

manage colors. I'm not familiar with the HP driver, so I can't tell you

exactly what it will look like.

Double check those things and see what happens.

Good luck!

(And yes, definitely leave Snow Leopard in the box for a while longer...)

>