5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2009 1:11 PM by zoogeny

Where to post bugs found in Flash Builder 4

zoogeny

I am running Flash Builder 4 (build 235740) and I have come across some bugs in the auto completion.

• Tab no longer accepts the selected suggestion from the autocomplete menu (as it did in Flex Builder 3)
      • Focus can be moved into the function signature helper tool-tip:
        • addEventListener(
          • causes the function signature tooltip to appear
        • addEventListener(FlexEvent.
          • now both the function signature tool-tip and the code completion suggestion box are on screen
        • Press "Tab" key thinking it will complete the suggestion (it doesn't)
        • Press "Enter" key to actually complete the suggestion
        • Now the cursor will be inside the signature tool-tip
        • I would suggest allowing the "Tab" key to auto-complete as in Flex Builder 3
      • Focus can be moved to the ASDoc tooltip window using the "Tab" key twice meaning you cannot even select the current selected auto-complete suggestion.
        • The only way out of this situation is to use the mouse to regain focus or the "Esc" key to close the dialog.

I have to admit - this is really annoying. My hand automatically goes for "Tab" to autocomplete and this can greatly increase the pain of using this IDE.

Please let me know if there is a bug tracker where I can submit this bug.

• 1. Re: Where to post bugs found in Flash Builder 4
          jdesko

Hello zoogeny.  If you are using Flash Builder 4 Beta stand alone have you tried under Help - Report a bug?  Or try http://bugs.adobe.com/flex/.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Where to post bugs found in Flash Builder 4
            zoogeny Level 1

I tried searching for the bug I mentioned but I don't see it there. Hard to tell for sure since there are so many bugs.

Is best practice to submit a new bug and hope the QA team will mark it as a duplicate? Should I submit a new bug for each problem or one single bug for them all?

• 3. Re: Where to post bugs found in Flash Builder 4
              Peter deHaan Level 4

zoogeny,

I'd just go ahead and file the bug(s) and the Builder team can mark them as duplicate as needed.

It's usually easier (for Adobe) if you file one bug per issue. That way we can mark individual aspects as fixed without closing a single bug and possibly missing an issue.

Peter

• 4. Re: Where to post bugs found in Flash Builder 4
                Jason San Jose Adobe Employee

Hi zoogeny,

• Tab is no longer supported in the content assist popup. This behavior changed in Eclipse (3.1 or 3.2 if I remember correctly). To select a proposal, you must hit the Enter key or double click on the proposal.

• I'm unsure which tooltip you're talking about. Can you be more specific? There are a few possible ones:

(1) Parameter hinting. Shows the function signature with the current argument in bold

(2) ASDoc hover. Shows the ASDoc content for the current mouse hover location

(3) ASDoc in code hints. Shows the ASDoc content for the selected code hint proposal

• You're probably seeing (1) parameter hinting and (3) ASDoc from code hints. Please take a screenshot if you can. What you're seeing is by design, unless you're seeing a new bug.

• Same as above, Tab is no longer supported.

• Yep.

• Sounds like you mean that pressing Tab moved focus into the ASDoc tooltip. Again, this is the expected new behavior.

To be clear, there isn't a Flash Builder or Eclipse preference to bring back Tab key completion.

Jason San Jose

Quality Engineer, Flash Builder

• 5. Re: Where to post bugs found in Flash Builder 4
                  zoogeny Level 1

The cursor can end up in the parameter hinting tooltip

Steps to reproduce:

• type "addEventListener("
                    • causes the parameter hinting tooltip to appear
                  • continue typing: "addEventListener(FlexEvent."
                    • now both the parameter hinting tooltip and the content assist are on screen
                  • Press "Tab" key thinking it will complete the suggestion (it doesn't)
                  • Press "Enter" key to actually complete the suggestion
                  • Now the cursor will be inside the parameter hinting tooltip (see screen-shot)
                  • I am running Flash Builder 4 (build 235740)

adobe_bug.gif

I can tap left and right to move the cursor character by character through the parameter hinting tooltip (the screenshot is after one tap to the right to make it more visible). This is reproducable 100%.

If I try and type nothing happens. If I press "Esc" the tooltip disappears and the cursor is returned to the editor.