5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2009 7:59 AM by Professor S.

How to download Mac .app projector made w/ Win Dir 11.5?

Professor S.

I recently upgraded to Dir 11.5 and see that it creates Mac projectors differently than Dir MX 2004. Before it created a nice .hqx file that I could upload to a web site for my students.  Now 11.5 creates an .app folder that shows up as a single file on a Mac desktop or on a USB flash stick. Unfortunately, when I upload the bundle to the web it now shows up as a folder when the Mac browses the web folder /setup/mac/examviewer.app/  When I crtl click (rightclick), I'm given the option to download the folder to the desktop, but it comes down as .html and the Mac will not allow me to get rid of the html extension and make the content an .app.  Without using a Mac, how do I make an executable file on the Windows development computer that can be properly downloaded to a Mac as an executable .app?

Prof S

• 1. Re: How to download Mac .app projector made w/ Win Dir 11.5?
          Mike Blaustein Level 4

On OSX, the exectables can be "app bundles" which are in fact folders.  Within the folder is the exectable binary as well the resource files.  The Mac OS will interperate this bundle as a single file, though other OSes do not.  You can get around your problem by zipping the file before uploading it to the webserver.  The students can download the zip and unarchive it to reveal the bundle intact.

• 2. Re: How to download Mac .app projector made w/ Win Dir 11.5?
            Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

You can create a ZIP archive like Mike suggested, or create a DMG file (that all Mac users are familiar with) - but you'll have to make the disk image on a Mac (AFAIK there are no Windows tools to create such a file).

• 3. Re: How to download Mac .app projector made w/ Win Dir 11.5?
              fazstp Level 2

The other drawback of the DMG format is that it won't download properly if the DMG MIME type isn't registered on the server.

• 4. Re: How to download Mac .app projector made w/ Win Dir 11.5?
                Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

The other drawback of the DMG format is that it won't download properly if the DMG MIME type isn't registered on the server.

Thanks Stephen - I wasn't aware of this.

Despite the limitations, I still think it's the best way to deliver apps to Mac OSX.

• 5. Re: How to download Mac .app projector made w/ Win Dir 11.5?
                  Professor S. Level 1

Thank you Mike for directly answering my question. I asked how to do it on a Mac and did not realize that a Mac could open them natively and how easy it was for a Mac user to do it. The dmg was recommended to me before and through my research and experimentation, even if I could remember how to do it on a Mac I wouldn't. Here's why: a) I have asked students are you familar with a dmg archive and most say no. This is a minor issue because if they well I would just explain what they are. However, b) it was a pain to dig out the utility that creates the dmg on a Mac and if you aren't a regular Mac user doing this all the time, you won't remember how to do it - at least I don't want to spend the time to try it again. c) if you are doing this on Windows, a dmg is not even an option. But now for the most important reasons d) a dmg is usually much larger than the files you want to archive and it takes time to figure how to select a custom size dmg that will be large enough to take your files and there is undisclosed overhead. For example, if you have 7 MB of files and don't want to use the default dmg sizes which are like 10 MB 100MB etc and create an 8 MB dmg you will find when you start dragging the files into it that it's too big and you have to start all over again.  Then you start experimenting with sizes and wasting more time since you don't know how much overhead is added - I think it must be around 5 MB.  I don't remember exactly, but if I am archiving files I think I would much rather have them compressed, which is exactly what zip does.  First shot, I added the .app folder to the zip and it was done and nicely compressed to about 70%.  When I later downloaded it from my web site on a Mac to the desktop - I just doubled clicked it and it popped out all ready ready to go. If I tried the dmg approach, I would have no idea what the size requirement would be since it is hidden in a bunch of bundle folders. Anyhow, estimating the size would take time and it would end up being much larger than the original files after the overhead is added. My conclusion as a professor who does research is that the zip advantages far outweigh the dmg.