15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2009 1:16 PM by A.T. Romano

How to choose the right project settings?

WillemdeNie

I'm new in taking video's and in editing them. I bought a Sanyo HD Xacti Video camera and made a lot of clips in my last holiday. The clips are transferred to my compter and have the format .MP4 1280-720 depth 1280 and 29,97 fps.

I want to create after editing en DVD which I can show on my TV 16:9 (PAL-Netherlands)

When I create a new project I have to choose the seetings and I really do not know how to choose!!

What Project settings should I choose because in the settings I only see 30 fps under de NTSC systems. Is there some where a general explanation how to do?

Help will be appreciated very much!!

Greetings Willem

• 1. Re: How to choose the right project settings?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1st question would be how you bought an NTSC camera in PAL land?

2nd question is does your camera have a PAL option?

From what I've read in this forum, Premiere does not convert from one format to another, you need to do that before you import the files

You might Google

convert ntsc pal

I've not used these... I"m in the US and don't do PAL... but made a note of http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm or http://dvfilm.com/atlantis/index.htm

• 2. Re: How to choose the right project settings?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

According to the specifications I found online, your camcorder is an AVCHD camcorder. Unfortunately, it is a 720p hybrid of the AVCHD codec, and so you may have to experiment with Premiere Elements to find out which setting to use.

I would start with the PAL AVCHD HD1080i preset (not 5.1 audio).

If this doesn't work, you may need to convert your video files in order to edit them in Premiere Elements. Unfortunately, these lower-end hybrid high definition camcorders can be very difficult to edit in their native state.

• 3. Re: How to choose the right project settings?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

By the way, do ensure that any video you shoot is at 30 fps and not 60 fps or you will not be able to work with it in Premiere Elements.

• 4. Re: How to choose the right project settings?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Before the NTSC to PAL, I believe there are other major considerations.

1. You are recording 720p30 1280 x 720 16:9 at 30 frames per second, using the MPEG-AVC/H.264 codec). That sounds to me like your are dealing with what they call "AVCHD-Lite". If so, there are major basic problems editing that in Premiere Elements 7. See Steve Grisetti's FAQ

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/454585?tstart=0

2. Your remarks would suggest that you want to create at DVD-VIDEO widescree (16:9) of your Timeline.

3. So before all else, I would determine if you can successful bring your video into Premiere Elements 7 and export the DVD-VIDEO in the NTSC system before you think about converting an NTSC video to a PAL end product.

4. Typically you select the project preset (new project dialog) to match the properties of your video. Once done that does not stop you from changing the export preset later. In the case of your NTSC 720p30 Sanyo video, I would suggest the project preset (new project dialog) = NTSC HDV HDV 720p30. Think of the project preset as a template from which you can edit your video. Although this 720p is a variant of AVCHD, I suggest the HDV category since there is no 720p preset under AVCHD. Note that the descriptions to the right of where you set the preset.

5. In Share/Disc/Disc, in the Burn Dialog, then select the preset: NTSC_Widecreen_Dolby DVD. If that is all completed successfully then we can talk about conversion of NTSC 1280 x 720 16:9 to a PAL DVD-VIDEO (720 x 576 25 frames per second with a 16:9 flag to stretch the video on display after encoding).

6. You may find the following link helpful:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/article_converting_ntsc_pal.htm

ATR

• 5. Re: How to choose the right project settings?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

WillemdeNie

I think that I got out of step with the rest of the people that replied to your question.

When I started typing, there were  no responses to your question, so I did not see the other comments.

ATR

(slow typist)

• 6. Re: How to choose the right project settings?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    before you think about converting an NTSC video to a PAL end product.

While certainly not a universal, many PAL set-top players can play NTSC well. This might be a consideration, and worth a test. Again, this is heavily dependent on the exact equipment used.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: How to choose the right project settings?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

While you might want to fault the typing speed, I think that your comments are very useful and on-point. Thanks for sharing them all.

Hunt

• 8. Re: How to choose the right project settings?
                        WillemdeNie Level 1

Guys

Thanks a lot for your responses!

I have to think a lot, I suppose! Lot of new terms for me!

By the way I bought the camera in Norway (during my holliday) which is also a PAL country I suppose.

Tha camera has the possibility to output to a PAL TV but I transfer the clips to my PC and there they are always 30 fps independent how the camera is configured.

It seems to be that I have choosen the wrong camera or is it the combination Adobe <> Camera??

I'm still working in the trial version so if anybody has a recommendation about the software to choose: Feel free!

Thanks on forehand

Willem

• 9. Re: How to choose the right project settings?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Willem,

I do not know the specifics of your camera, but most have an initial setup menu, where one can select PAL, or NTSC. Now, some camera models are one, or the other, but I would not expect a camera sold in Europe to NOT have the PAL settings available. I'd pour over the manual, the mfgr's Web site, and maybe even any forum dedicated to that camera. Sometimes, those menus and settings can be well-hidden. My Canon has the PAL/NTSC setting in the main menu, right along with the time/date settings.

Though some variations of AVCHD Lite can bring certain problems, I think that by recording in PAL and using the Project settings that ATR suggested, you should be able to use PrE. Many in PAL-land use it, and it works perfectly for them.

Glad you have the trial, and if you can get your camera's settings corrected, I think you'll be OK.

One thing to look at would be using Interpret Footage on your Clips and choosing 25 fps. What does that do for you?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: How to choose the right project settings?
                            WillemdeNie Level 1

Hi Hunt

The last suggestion I do not understand; can you be some more specific what you mean by "interpret footage on the clip"???

Thanks!

• 11. Re: How to choose the right project settings?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

WillemdeNie

When you bring a video into Premiere Elements and you set your project preset, the program attempts to interpret your footage accordingly. So, you would expect that if you imported 1280 x 720 16:9 square pixels 25 frames/second into the media and Timeline, that would be the template from which you would edit. But sometimes, the interpretation by the program may not be correct. Have you been introduced to the "Default Scale to Frame Size" concept? See Edit Menu/Preferences/General. For now, I would leave that checked. More on that to come if necessary.

So when the program has a problem interpreting the footage, you go to the Edit Mode (Orange Tab)/Project Tab (black below the Edit Tab), right click the video file there, select Interpret Footage. In the Interpret Footage dialog, look to Frame Rate and Pixel Aspect Ratio areas. You can type in the correct Frame Rate (25 in this example) in the Frame Rate section. Under Pixel Aspect Ratio, if the aspect ratio is not correct, you can "dot" Conform to: and select the correct (in this example square pixel).

But, are we getting ahead of the basic issues. You say that you have a lot of NTSC 720p30 from your Sanyo. I would strongly urge you to consider the course of action that I suggest earlier. If you are now changing course, abandoning the NTSC 720p30, and starting over with PAL 720p25 that is another story.

If you put into Premiere Elements 720p, you should not have to go near the Interpret Footage feature. But, if you have problems with the aspect ratio or the frame rate of the import, then it needs looking at.

I will look forward to more of your details and progress.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: How to choose the right project settings?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

WillemNie

I just thought of a possible problem that may enter into your consideration in the latter part of your project heading for DVD-VIDEO.

When you select your project preset (new project dialog) that sets the project setting for your editing "template" as described earlier. But, what it also does is to selection the version of the DVD Template Menu that is to be used in the DVD-VIDEO (burn to disc) and BluRay (burn to BluRay).

In the case of DVD-VIDEO, if your project preset is PAL Standard 4:3, then the menus that appear with be the 4:3 ones. And, if your project preset is PAL Widescreen 16:9, then the menus that appear will be for widescreen.

In the case of burning to a BluRay disc, you are also allowed to have menus. But, within Premiere Elements, you can only burn 1920 x 1080 (square pixels) or 1440 x 1080 (HD Anamorphic) to a BluRay disc, not 720p (1280 x 720). The burn to BluRay have special HD menus that display when you select a HD project preset choice.

Now here comes the interesting part. In your case, because you set the 720p project preset, when you get to DVD Menus, the choices displayed with be HD menus, not SD or Widescreen ones which will be used in your Widescreen burn to DVD disc preset (720 x 576 with that 16:9 flag). There might be a distortion problem in the menus of the end product??? If you look at the design of those HD menus in their .psd in the program files, you discover that the image size is 1440 x 1080.

So, if you plan on using DVD menus, we may need for us all to discuss all this.

ATR

• 13. Re: How to choose the right project settings?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Willem,

What ATR said!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: How to choose the right project settings?
                                    WillemdeNie Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for your answers. I need some time to understand all the stuff and to try some things. So it will last some days. The wheather here (Holland) is now so nice that I use my time to be on my sailingboat.

I will come back tou you soon.

Greetings Willem

• 15. Re: How to choose the right project settings?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Willem

The sailing in beautiful weather sounds like a great way to get refreshed for another round of Premiere Elements and video editing challenges.

I will be watching for an update on your progress when you have the time.

ATR