5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2009 9:44 AM by sanray19

Can Flip Ultra 2nd Generation Minicam movies be used in PreE?

sanray19 Level 1

I am considering purchasing a Flip Ultra 2nd Generation Minicam (2 hrs) for an upcomng European trip. Does anyone know whether the movies from this camera can be transferred to Premier Elements 4 for combining into a travel movie with still shots and eventually recorded on a DVD? I understand the output is in a MPEG4 format?

Thanks, in advance, for any input provided.

Sanray19

• 1. Re: Can Flip Ultra 2nd Generation Minicam movies be used in PreE?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sanray, these "webbie" style of camcorders are made to shoot video and then load it directly to YouTube. The video does not lend itself well to editing, and usually must be converted to DV-AVI or MPEG2 before it can be imported into a video editing program, as discussed in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/437535?tstart=0

If you're serious about video editing, I would recommend against these mini-camcorders.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can Flip Ultra 2nd Generation Minicam movies be used in PreE?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Steve. However, if you decide to go with one of these, I'd strongly recommend getting it early and testing the conversion programs and how their output works in PrE, BEFORE you head off to a great trip, only to find problems, when you return and go to edit.

With proper conversion, a lot of troublesome footage can be successfully edited, though there might be some quality issues built-in. Your testing will alert you to those before you embark.

Good luck and travel safely,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can Flip Ultra 2nd Generation Minicam movies be used in PreE?
              sanray19 Level 1

Thanks Steve for your informed response. My intention is only to use the flip movies for incorporating them into a travel movie DVD with still shots from a digital camera. I don't intend to do any serious editing other than perhaps cutting and pasting. I'm hopeful your conversion reference (NCH Software) will be able to convert my Flip movies to a suitable format for PreE. By the way your referenced write up "What Tools Can I Use to Convert  My Video to DV-AVI? was just super. Thanks!!

And Hunt, I'm going to follow your advice and acquire my Flip before my trip and test to see if it's satisfactoy for my purpose. It appears the best deal is from Amazon and they have an excellent return policy so I'll order from them.

My thanks to both of you for your informed inputs.

Best wishes for continued success in all your endeavors.

Sanray19

• 4. Re: Can Flip Ultra 2nd Generation Minicam movies be used in PreE?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>use the flip movies for incorporating them into a travel movie DVD

Do make an all the way through test... from camera to DVD... so you aren't suprised about the video quality

Converting from a compressed view format to an edit format... and back to compressed to make a DVD... has built-in quality reduction due to the conversions

But... do it yourself before you go, so you will know if your end result is what you want

• 5. Re: Can Flip Ultra 2nd Generation Minicam movies be used in PreE?
                  sanray19 Level 1

Thanks for the advice John. Will certainly give it a go before taking it traveling. Certianly don't want to be disappointed with end result.

Sanray19