5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2009 9:28 AM by the_wine_snob

Exporting for DVD requires extremely low volumes, is that normal?

NEMRCOMEDY

Hi,

I have completed a project and when exporting to dvd I find I need to lower the master volume by 18 db for it to not cause tv speakers to pop, I try it out on several different tv's with the same result.

When I mix my audio none of it exceeds 0 db, nothing is in the red and nonetheless I lowered by 6 db, but it won't be enough until I export at -18 Db.

I do this by lowerng the master audio level from 0 to -18.

Is this normal?

• 1. Re: Exporting for DVD requires extremely low volumes, is that normal?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I have not observed this, but most of my DVD-Video output goes to Home Theather (HT) setups.

I mix to an absolute max of about -2db, i.e. nothing ever into the red. Menu music and Button Transition SFX and/or music ends up being -5db max Levels.

I monitor to the perceived Audio Levels with Bose noise-canceling headphones, and then monitor on a 5.1 Audio setup. The visual Levels are but guidelines for me, and my hearing, such as it is, will be my final guide.

Most often, I find that I need to adjust my audio volume up ever so slightly on my HT gear, but that is highly dependent of the exact system that the DVD-Video is played on. My general Audio Levels are slightly below most Hollywood discs, especially any Menu music, which I find horribly loud in too many of these.

Just my thoughts,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Exporting for DVD requires extremely low volumes, is that normal?
            NEMRCOMEDY Level 1

Hunt, thanks for the reply!

I do the same, well I use beyer dynamic dt 770 pro headphones for monitoring, then I test the audio out on a stereo and a 5.1 surround setup.

If I export the audio on a cd it sounds great everywhere, put it on dvd and it goes to hell.

Is it possible that audio cd's are at 44100 16 bit wheras dvd audio is 48000 khz?

Doesn't make much sense to me, but the way I see it the irony is this:

Play and audio cd where the audio peaks at 0db through your tv and it sounds great, play a dvd with the same audio on it and it kills the speakers :S

Is it possible that mpeg2 encoding boosts audio levels for some reason and you need to correct it by pushing audio levels down?

I found this link after doing some research:

http://dvcreators.net/discuss/showthread.php?t=25404

Basically this question was asked:

1. *is there a certain db level an audio track should be if you plan to burn to DVD?

amongst others,

The reply was:

Use the audio meters to gauge audio level. Peaks should be at -16 to -12.

Why is this do you think?

-2 db would not work when I burn to dvd, it would kill the speakers of either a surround system or a stereo tv system, including my samung hdtv.

When I export to dvd I first export from premiere the built in Mpeg-2 DVD setting and then use either windows dvd maker or idvd on my mac to burn to dvd.

• 3. Re: Exporting for DVD requires extremely low volumes, is that normal?
              Dag Norum Level 2

Like Hunt, I have not really seen what you describe, although I have seen that "best" levels may vary.

Some questions:

- Why don't you use Encore to make your DVD's?

(could maybe be answered by telling your version of PPro)

- Do you know what windows dvd maker or idvd are doing with your audio?

- Have you tried for example to use a -18dB audio, then burned a DVD, and then ripped the audio out of that DVD in order to see if the level is altered in the DVD creation progress?

(So you are sure that windows dvd maker or idvd are not doing anything with your audio)

Dag

EDIT:

The -18dB is not an un-known number when it comes to reference level, but that should basically not say to much about maximum level.

• 4. Re: Exporting for DVD requires extremely low volumes, is that normal?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Is it possible that audio cd's are at 44100 16 bit wheras dvd audio is 48000 khz?

That would have no effect on the volume.

Is it possible that mpeg2 encoding boosts audio levels for some reason and you need to correct it by pushing audio levels down?

Normally, no.  Encore certainly does not do this.

-2 db would not work when I burn to dvd, it would kill the speakers of either a surround system or a stereo tv system, including my samung hdtv.

It shouldn't have any effect on the surround system.  (Many built-in TV speakers can be easily overloaded, so they're not a good test.)

Take Dag's advice and author using Encore.  See what happens.

• 5. Re: Exporting for DVD requires extremely low volumes, is that normal?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  The -18dB is not an un-known number when it comes to reference level, but that should basically not say to much about maximum level.

Interesting, as this about where I end up with a lot of my SmartSound compositions' Levels. When created (SmartSound QuickTracks for Pr plug-in), their Levels are too high, especially for the other Audio. Out of habit, I normally initially set that Track's Level to between -12db and -18db, and then adjust as is required by listening. Note: most of this is used as "background" music, so its overall Level WILL be lower. After listening, these may end up at -6db, or -20db depending on all other factors, but out of habit, I do start about -18db.

Just an observation, and not related to the OP's situation,

Hunt