8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2009 3:21 PM by the_wine_snob

How do you move a sound clip in the timeline?

terry lee martin Level 1

I have not had this problem before. I have put many songs into the timeline, and repositioned them. Today I pulled up a project and attempted to reposition a song to fit in better with the clip, and I'm unable to do so. I can't select the song, or anything else. Obviously I have set or locked up this track, and I can't figure out how to unlock if that is what I have done. I have 6 songs on that track, Audio track 2, and I can't reposition any of them. I can't even remove them from that track. What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: How do you move a sound clip in the timeline?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Are there diagonal hash marks on the track? If so, that means the track is locked. Check the track header for the lock icon; click it and the track will be unlocked so that you can move clips around.

If that's not it, post back...

• 2. Re: How do you move a sound clip in the timeline?
            terry lee martin Level 1

No Colin, there are no hash marks on the track. I placed the same song on the track below it, and I'm able to move it around just fine.

Terry Lee Martin

Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 14:05:32 -0600

To: terryleemartin@hotmail.com

Subject: How do you move a sound clip in the timeline?

Are there diagonal hash marks on the track? If so, that means the track is locked. Check the track header for the lock icon; click it and the track will be unlocked so that you can move clips around.

If that's not it, post back...

>

• 3. Re: How do you move a sound clip in the timeline?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

I figured that was probably the case, but had to rule it out first. You know, there have been a number of posts lately where people have had similar experiences as this--an audio track becomes broken somehow, and the clips can't be selected and, in some case, the audio won't enter into the final mix on export. The solution has been to import that project into a new one. That might work for you, too.

• 4. Re: How do you move a sound clip in the timeline?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Terry,

Though it might have zero bearing on your problem, what format are the Audio files?

Also, when you open your Project (the one where the Audio seems locked), is there any sort of a "progress bar" on the lower-right part of the GUI? If there is, and you go get a cup, or two of coffe, is it still there when you return? If it WAS there and is now gone, can you now move the Audio?

Just guessing here, and good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How do you move a sound clip in the timeline?
                  terry lee martin Level 1

Hunt, I had to leave for a couple of hours, and now that I am back, I attempted to move them again, and it still is not possible. No there is no progress bar that is active. Thank you guys, I'll probably just put in another audio track and put the songs in again, which won't be that difficult. By the way, the files used were WMA files. Thanks again.

Terry Lee Martin

Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 16:31:15 -0600

Terry,

Though it might have zero bearing on your problem, what format are the Audio files?

Also, when you open your Project (the one where the Audio seems locked), is there any sort of a "progress bar" on the lower-right part of the GUI? If there is, and you go get a cup, or two of coffe, is it still there when you return? If it WAS there and is now gone, can you now move the Audio?

Just guessing here, and good luck,

Hunt

>

• 6. Re: How do you move a sound clip in the timeline?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Terry,

What is the purpose of using the .WMA files? I'm sure that you have a good reason, but they can be problematic, at best. I only use them as a trasfer medium, when I need to get a DD 5.1 SS soundtrack into Audition for editing. There, I break them out into 6 discrete .WAV files, edit in Multi-track Mode and then usually Export as the 6 discrete WAV's to be encoded to DTS, or similar.

If you do not have a compelling reason for using the .WMA, try PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit and see if the issues go away.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes please,

Hunt

• 7. Re: How do you move a sound clip in the timeline?
                      terry lee martin Level 1

Hunt, most of my music files, over 9000 songs, are mostly mp3 files and a few are wma, and because of copyright laws I wouldn't use them in a commercial project I'm working on anyway. When I am working on a project for a client I will generally use higher quality WAV files. This project was being done just to learn some new techniques, gain some more experience with PPCS4, and expand my knowledge with the program. I have this huge number of music files and styles to work with, so I can do a great deal of experimentation to see what different songs can do to the mood of the video.

As a test, I did put the exact same songs into the timeline on a different audio track. The problem track is audio 2, and I duplicated those songs on audio 3. I did the exact same editing. I faded them in and out the same as before. Split one song into 3 sections had parts of it come in and out over a video section of 9 minutes duration. They are working perfectly. I was just working on one section of that project a half hour ago, and I was still able to select and move each of the four songs on that track any way that I wanted to. However, the track just above it in that same timeline, Track 2, is still frozen.

Hunt, just a moment ago I solved my problem. Still not being that familiar with the program, two days ago I know that I was playing with all of the controls, and I obviously hit one of them without knowing one of its side effects. I hit the show "show track keyframes". I'm sure that you know it, but I didn't realize that when that function is selected, you can't do much else with the track but play with those keyframe. Even though I didn't have the track locked, in the traditional way, it was still, for all practicall reasons, locked. I unchecked that function and now everything is back to normal again on that track.

Something very simple, as many things turn out to be when you understand it. However, maybe someone else will make the same mistake, and my posting here will help them.

I will use your suggestions for using .WAV files. Thank you again. 

Terry Lee Martin

Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 14:29:37 -0600

Terry,

What is the purpose of using the .WMA files? I'm sure that you have a good reason, but they can be problematic, at best. I only use them as a trasfer medium, when I need to get a DD 5.1 SS soundtrack into Audition for editing. There, I break them out into 6 discrete .WAV files, edit in Multi-track Mode and then usually Export as the 6 discrete WAV's to be encoded to DTS, or similar.

If you do not have a compelling reason for using the .WMA, try PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit and see if the issues go away.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes please,

Hunt

>

• 8. Re: How do you move a sound clip in the timeline?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Terry,

Glad you got it. Yes, Track Keyframe display can get in the way. Many never realize that they have changed the Track display. Some freak out, when they see all those Keyframes, if they've done anything in Audio Mixer.

Nice to hear that all is working for you now.

Enjoy those 9000 pieces of music!

Hunt