8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2009 1:52 PM by A.T. Romano

Start up problems with Premiere Elements v3.0.2

policy.wonk

I had this program working on my laptop (XP) but wanted to use it on my desktop (vista).

I installed it and it started to work but immediately after the splash screen the program closed down.

I thought it might have something to do with activation or licensing so I uninstalled it from the laptop. Then uninstalled it from the desktop and reinstalled it on the desktop.

When I open the program it goes through the splash screen then disappears.  I thought it might be a vista issue and downloaded the 3.0.2 version but the installer said that I already had that version installed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Start up problems with Premiere Elements v3.0.2
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Have you taken a look at the AdobeTechNote of this topic of Installation and Start Up problems with Premiere Elements 3?

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/333/333202.html

Check it out and please let us know how that goes? I assume that you have checked out system requirements, computer resources, installation of latest version of Quicktime on same computer, updated drivers, and the works?

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Start up problems with Premiere Elements v3.0.2
            policy.wonk Level 1

Sorry, I guess some additional info might be helpful

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHZ

Vista 32 bitOS

3 GB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT

Everything has got the lastest updates.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Start up problems with Premiere Elements v3.0.2
              policy.wonk Level 1

Somehow I missed that very helpful page in my solution search.

I will work through those suggestions.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Start up problems with Premiere Elements v3.0.2
                policy.wonk Level 1

I worked through that KB page except for reformatting my hard drive, and they didn't help.

I'm not planning on reformatting my hard drive.  That pain isn't worth it. I'd rather just use it on the painfully slow laptop and let it process the DVD overnight.

Are there any other suggestions short of reformatting my hard drive that might help?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Start up problems with Premiere Elements v3.0.2
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might give you some tips for getting the most out of your computer with an NLE program.

The lack of a full launch of PrE, this ARTICLE might help you gather some clues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Start up problems with Premiere Elements v3.0.2
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

When you say that the program opens to the splash screen and then closes...does it get as far as "loading Wave_Warp.AE" (see splash screen loading sequence) and just stays there before you say it closes? Or, what loading sequences does the program go through before the closure? Or, does the splash screen just pop on and off without any loading sequence shown in the splash screen?

Another popular failure reason is the use of User Accounts without Adm.Priv. But, I guess you saw that in the AdobeTech Note. You could establish/add a new User Account with Adm.Priv., try to run the program from it, and see what happens.

What other video editing software do you have installed on this Desktop computer? If so, do they run successfully? Do you have an versions of Nero installed on this Desktop? Program/driver conflicts??

I guess that you have the latest version of Quicktime installed on your Desktop computer??

Those are some thoughts for now. Please update us on your progress.

ATR

• 7. Re: Start up problems with Premiere Elements v3.0.2
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

When you say that the program opens to the splash screen and then closes...does it get as far as "loading Wave_Warp.AE" (see splash screen loading sequence) and just stays there before you say it closes? Or, what loading sequences does the program go through before the closure? Or, does the splash screen just pop on and off without any loading sequence shown in the splash screen?

You point out some important distinctions, in what a crash/freeze at loading can mean.

In the loading process, the Adobe NLE's (Non Linear Editors) search for and attempt to load all VST's and Effects, that are around. The Effects are the ones in the program's folder hierarchy, but VST's can be system-wide.

With VST's, three things can happen:

1.) the VST (usually a .dll) will load perfectly in the NLE, and can be used by it.

2.) the VST will load perfectly, but cannot be used by the NLE. Usually, the first time that this happens, a warning message to that effect will be displayed (one time), but never again. The VST is loaded, but just cannot be used.

3.) the VST cannot be loaded and will crash/hang the NLE.

In case 3, these VST's come from other programs, most often programs that edit Audio. They may included with that program (like Native Instruments, or some other Audio program), or might have been added by the user for use in some other, usually Audio program.

Finding out exactly what is happening before the NLE crashes/hangs can be very important. Sometimes, the splash screen goes by very quickly, and are hard to read. I recommend that one set up their video camera to shoot the monitor, while the program loads. This allows one to review the tape and see exactly what is being loaded. One can also pause and read the very last line in the load process.

With program crashes and hangs, there can be tons of "clues" available. The problem is to find the clues and then learn something from them. That article that I linked to above looks at things from the system standpoint. ATR is pointing to some possible clues right on the splash screen. The first order of business is to find as many clues as is possible, and the second is to sort and study those clues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Start up problems with Premiere Elements v3.0.2
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

You may find this AdobeTech Note of interest. Although written for Premiere Elements 7, it may also apply to your situation.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407924.html

ATR