16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2009 9:42 PM by Kurt_777

Opening Title Sequence - Technical & Aesthetic Ideas?

the_wine_snob Level 9

I just posted this question to the PrPro Forum, and would like to elicit comments from the PrE folk.

I posted there, as I will be using PrPro for the actual production, but most of what I am thinking of doing could be done in PrE, as well.

Any thoughts, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Hunt

• 1. Re: Opening Title Sequence - Technical & Aesthetic Ideas?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Hunt, I'm seeing this more as a combination of effects from After Effects and Photoshop (Elements) instead.

Do you have access to both of those programs?

• 2. Re: Opening Title Sequence - Technical & Aesthetic Ideas?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes Steve. I have both AE and PS. I anticipate the initial creation being in Painter, just because of its "natural media" aspects, but it will be Saved_As a .PSD and I may either increment the paint's "flow" there, using Layer Comps and then using a Cross-Dissolve between these, or some other form of animation.

Looking at some quick pieces of the James Bond openings (have not found one that does not require a download to view), the "blood," after the gunshot is more stylized, than I remembered, or have in my mind for this. Still, the general effect will have similarities.

I'll probably do a few quick "tests," and see if I do need to go to AE for what I invision. I suppose that I could shoot real blue paint flowing down an inclided board, but then I'd need to Key the board out and I think that I can do it easier digitally. The tests might indicate otherwise.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Opening Title Sequence - Technical & Aesthetic Ideas?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I guess I misunderstood the effect you were describing, Hunt. When you said "paint dripping from above" I thought you meant falling from behind the camera onto your video in little splats that would eventually fill in. That effect is very easy in After Effects!

You're talking about liquid pouring down so that your video image is filled from bottom to top.

Somebody did come up with a very cool Premiere Elements trick to simulate the Bond opening blood fill, using a semi-opaque red block and some keyframed warble effect to make it look like flowing liquid. Maybe he'll check back into the Muvipix forum (where you've also posted) with his method.

I'll also search and see if I can find it there.

• 5. Re: Opening Title Sequence - Technical & Aesthetic Ideas?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

You say at the end of the description for your planned opening title:

"The title then embosses up through the blue paint and is formed in the paint."

Are you saying that the background remains the blue paint, but that text (looking embossed) gradually surfaces at a location on this blue paint background?

Or, are you saying that, after the blue paint covers the image, the blue paint is gradually drawn up to form the text letters. But, then what would be your background?

I suspect that it is the first case, but just checking.

In the link that SG provided, it looks like a the Premiere Elements wave warp effect, color change, and keyframing. The melt.prel provided following his link within link will open in Premiere Elements, but you will get missing media messages which relate to the images used and not available. But, the text (which is embedded in the .prel file) is still there so that you can explore the settings in the Properties.

It looks quite doable in Premiere Elements, even alone, but there are those who prefer assist from additional software. From all accounts, you are a Premiere Pro person. It is my recollection that Premiere Pro will open the Premiere Elements .prel files, yes or no?

ATR

• 6. Re: Opening Title Sequence - Technical & Aesthetic Ideas?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thank you for that link. It looks like Blufftitler might come into the mix a bit earlier than I originally thought.

I don't have my Painter IX on my laptop, but only my workstation. Time for an install, so I can play down here, as I think about this. I'll report in, as this sequence comes about.

Fortunately, I can see it in my minds, so all that I have to do is work on the technical to capture that. As we all know, things might change a bit, along the way. Some might be due to limitations in my abilities, and some limitations in the software. Also, there can be "lucky accidents, along the way too.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Opening Title Sequence - Technical & Aesthetic Ideas?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR (see, I AM learning!),

Are you saying that the background remains the blue paint, but that text (looking embossed) gradually surfaces at a location on this blue paint background?

The first is correct. Once the blue paint covers the background, the title text will rise up from, but be formed by, the blue paint.

It looks quite doable in Premiere Elements, even alone, but there are those who prefer assist from additional software. From all accounts, you are a Premiere Pro person. It is my recollection that Premiere Pro will open the Premiere Elements .prel files, yes or no?

You are correct again. I will use PrPro, just because I use it 90% of the time and am much more comfortable with it. I do have PrE 4, and use it for most of that remaining 10% of the time.

Once more, you are correct that PrPro will open most PRELS (Themes, etc. can get in the way though), but I will open this one in PrE, and take a look. Besides the thread, I did download Chris' ZIP, and will look at it closely. I appreciate the mention of the Wave_Warp, as it might do some of what I invision, without multiple fixed Effect Keyframing to replicate it.

I've also got Blufftitler, and ProDAD Vitascene, and have used them to a degree, but would never claim to be a power-user in either. Maybe it's time to explore these two programs a bit more.

With the great comments, links and thoughts, I think that I need to create my Assets and get started with some tests.

I cannot say thank you enough for the input already.You and Steve have given me some more things to think about and have probably saved me some time doing some things by hand, that are already sitting in PrE, or PrPro, just waiting to be used for this!

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 8. Re: At a tangent to the topic...
                      Kurt_777 Level 1

Hunt, seeing as you mentioned Bluff Titler .... I just bought it but apparently I have to wait up to 24 hours for the download to become available...!!

Not only that, but their registering page allowed me to choose my country Australia, but not any state in it! I had to choose a random state. I picked a place in China, (well, why not?), and naturally I got an error message saying that state doesn't exist in Australia.

Finally I had to say I was in the US and selected a US state and even googled one of its zip codes, just to get registered. Don't know what problems that's going to cause when they verify my Australian credit card details....

Funny way to run a site... But anyway, going by the trial, it should be worth the wait.

Kurt.

• 9. Re: Opening Title Sequence - Technical & Aesthetic Ideas?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Kurt,

You've got me on that one. I do not recall any waiting period, but then I bought my copy years ago, so much has changed.

On their site, there are several tutorials, and links to others. I also believe that there are some Blufftitler discussions and maybe other tutorials on www.muvipix.com.

Good luck and enjoy,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Opening Title Sequence - Technical & Aesthetic Ideas?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Kurt,

"Holidays," are winding down in many places around the globe. Maybe they were shut down. In the USA, this WAS a long weekend, and the "official end of Summer."

I wish you luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Opening Title Sequence - Technical & Aesthetic Ideas?
                            Kurt_777 Level 1

Haha! I used to say "holidays" until I realised most of the people I was talking to on the Net were hombres americanos, and I'd always have to adjust my terminology to suit the American vernacular and improve communications. So now I just say "vacation" and save myself the trouble.

After all, Australia is now a suburb of the US anyway...

Kurt.

• 13. Re: Opening Title Sequence - Technical & Aesthetic Ideas?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, where I live (Arizona), I thought that we were a suburb of both Mexico and Sydney, OZ. We have a half-dozen OZ wine shops, and have Imported much of the culture, especially that from the Gibson Desert. Also, our general culture is tied more to Mexico, than to much of the rest of the US.

Maybe I say "holiday," as we have a flat in Mayfair and spend a good deal of time in the UK. If I am to communicate with our friends, board memebers and neighbors, I have to "speak the language."

Hunt

• 14. Re: Opening Title Sequence - Technical & Aesthetic Ideas?
                                Kurt_777 Level 1

When I think of America, Arizona is the place I picture first. Wide open empty spaces but with picturesque characteristics. Our outback is pretty much miles and miles of nothing much at all, with a bl**dy great rock in the middle!

I'm not sure how much culture our Gibson desert has, though!! Unless you mean the funghi on the rocks!

You're right about "speaking the language". I had assumed you were a British expat living in the US, so obviously you've nailed the lingo and the idiom.

Anyway, how is that opening title sequence going? I was going to suggest something but thought it would across as a bit like teaching one's grandmother to suck eggs...

But now that I've mentioned it ... I thought that blue liquid effect could begin in the shape of a teardrop, (depression) maybe even emanating from the bell of a trumpet, (the music) and then morphing down into a flow of blue. You mentioned that the film was about "the blues" and that it covered different definitions of that term. Was that the idea, or did I get that wrong?

Kurt.

1 person found this helpful
                                • 15. Re: Opening Title Sequence - Technical & Aesthetic Ideas?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Kurt,

Well, I am an expat, but from Mississippi. That is my native language, and US English second. In the last 10 years, UK English has become part of the mix, though I seldom hear that spoken on the streets and mews of Mayfair anymore. It is more likely to be some Eastern Euro language.

Now, that "tear drop" is interesting. I like that, and might incorporate that into the "drips." Given the focus of the movie, not sure about the trumpet, but see where you're coming from. There was a photographer, who did a series of instruments on a black field, with elements eminating from them, like the "smoke" from a trumpet. I've seen a half-dozen of his pieces, but cannot recall his name at this moment. Neat stuff.

Thanks for the "tear drop." That will work well for this movie.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Opening Title Sequence - Technical & Aesthetic Ideas?
                                    Kurt_777 Level 1

Glad you liked it, Hunt.

Cheers. (Now, that's British!)

Kurt.