5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2009 9:46 PM by Rothrock

Using "Flash Help" to help make flash game?

janecbell

Hello,

I've noticed the other day that in Flash, the "Flash Help (F1)" found under "Help" is licensed under "Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License".  The resources found on adobe.com in the Flash Development Center is also licensed with this.

The license state:

" You are free:

* to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
          * to Remix — to adapt the work

Under the following conditions:

Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).

Noncommercial — You may not use this work for commercial purposes.

Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one."

- CC License

I'm trying to learn flash so I can make flash games.  I plan to get them sponsored by game portals and attach them to MochiAds--so technically this would be commercial, yes?

So does this mean I CAN'T use "Flash Help" or any of the resources found in adobe's Flash Development Center to learn how to use actionscripts?

Of course I don't plan to bluntly copy-paste codes, but it would be nice if I could adapt and learn how things work.  Sometimes I get stuck and I need a reference...  The last thing I'd want is to get into some copyright trouble =/

Sorry if this post is out of place.  I tried to ask in Customer Support days ago but I get the feeling that they've ignored me.

Any extra advices are welcome.

Thank you,

Jane

• 1. Re: Using "Flash Help" to help make flash game?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

unless you're using copyrighted work, that doesn't apply.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Using "Flash Help" to help make flash game?
            janecbell Level 1

So we can use "Flash Help" to help us while we make games?

How do you know if it's copyrighted or not?  Isn't everything technically copyrighted?

• 3. Re: Using "Flash Help" to help make flash game?
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

i'm not a copyright lawyer but it doesn't seem plausible that you could copyright basic information and then expect royalties if others use that basic information.

• 4. Re: Using "Flash Help" to help make flash game?
                janecbell Level 1

Yeah... the license confused me so I had to ask.

Thank you

• 5. Re: Using "Flash Help" to help make flash game?
                  Rothrock Level 5

What is with all the folks asking "copyright" questions lately? Are you all in some class or something? I am not a copyright lawyer so don't take anything I say as the absolute truth, but I have had a long standing interest in these issues...

Anyways copyright is not an absolute right, there is an important part of copyright law called "fair use" and it is important. Of course it is also the source of a lot of disagreements and law suits...

A clear case of infringement would be if you tried to just take the Flash help and publish your own "learn actionscript" help book or website.

But given that the help documentation is meant to teach you how to use the product it seems that it would be clearly within fair use to use it to learn how to use the product.

And while the US courts have not been particularly intelligent about technical innovation -- often granting patents and copyright to very basic code, while not protecting truly innovative and clever invention -- the argument that the basic instantiation of a class and invocation of its methods, properties, and events, is pretty clearly the only way to do these things. Adobe would have no reason -- in fact they would have quite the opposite -- to pursue a claim against somebody who used actionscript.

Given the absurdity of the US courts (if here is where you be) just change the names of the variables from the samples and you are most likely fine since it would confuse them.

1 person found this helpful