7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2009 7:15 PM by JimHess-5IFZWq

DNG in Photoshop V6.0

ardy01

Hi I have an Olympus E-520 and I have just downloaded the DNG converter. I cant get my version of Photoshop 6.0 to read these DNG 5.4 files. Am I missing something, do I need to download an update to my version of Photoshop?

I tried 'open as' and although PS could 'see' the files it just opened up a grey mass that made no sense after getting the software to guess size etc.

Any Ideas anyone?

• 1. Re: DNG in Photoshop V6.0
          Panoholic Level 2

Click on "Change preferences", select "Custom" and "DNG 1.3" (or 1.1 if PS 6 does not accept 1.3).

• 2. Re: DNG in Photoshop V6.0
            ardy01 Level 1

Thanks for this Panoholic but PS 6.0 still cant recognise these files on an open 'all formats'. If I do an 'open as' I have to answer questions about size and dimensions etc and all I get is a grey image with no detail. Seems that PS V6.0 will not read these files at all.

Is this true?

• 3. Re: DNG in Photoshop V6.0
              Greg Barnett Level 2

Photoshop 6 does not provide camera raw processing. Version 7 was the first to offer the camera raw plugin (and back then you had to buy it as an add-on). You're going to need to upgrade to a current version if you want to process raw files in Photoshop. Or you may want to consider Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.

• 4. Re: DNG in Photoshop V6.0
                ardy01 Level 1

Thanks for this reply. I spent a VERY frustrating 5 hours on this yesterday and got nowhere so you may be right. V6.0.1 took the plugin that I down loaded from the Olympus site (this was my last move) and Olympus claimed it worked on V6 upwards, of course it didnt work, PS did recognise the files just wouldnt load them.

When you open a new file in PS there is a RAW option but this doesnt prove anything.

Having been through DNG 1.3 and 1.1 and then several other options and getting nowhere I am starting to think that an upgrade might be less pain.

• 5. Re: DNG in Photoshop V6.0
                  JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

ardy01 wrote:

Thanks for this reply. I spent a VERY frustrating 5 hours on this yesterday and got nowhere so you may be right. V6.0.1 took the plugin that I down loaded from the Olympus site (this was my last move) and Olympus claimed it worked on V6 upwards, of course it didnt work, PS did recognise the files just wouldnt load them.

When you open a new file in PS there is a RAW option but this doesnt prove anything.

Having been through DNG 1.3 and 1.1 and then several other options and getting nowhere I am starting to think that an upgrade might be less pain.

I think we need some clarification here.  Are you in fact talking about Photoshop 6, or are you talking about Photoshop Elements 6?  There is a big difference.  Camera Raw will work with Photoshop Elements 6, but it will not work at all with Photoshop 6.

• 6. Re: DNG in Photoshop V6.0
                    ardy01 Level 1

Thanks Jim that may well be the problem. I have PS 6 and NOT PS Elements.

The only thing I can hold onto is that both the Adobe site and Olympus refer to PS 6 but that may just be a clarification error.

Whatever the problems are I think I have to look at another solution. There is too great a time to convert images from .ORF to jpg using Olympus Master 2 and then into PS 6 to tweak the images.

I have just come back from my first major diving trip and have nearly 1800 images to process, at the rate I am going it will take me about a week full time.

• 7. Re: DNG in Photoshop V6.0
                      JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

Don't feel too badly.  I am still working on 1300 images I took on a trip more than month ago.  Photoshop 6 has no integration with any version of Camera Raw.  There just isn't another answer.  You have several options as far as Adobe products are concerned.  You could get Photoshop Elements 7, and it would accommodate the latest camera raw plug-in.  Only problem is, Camera Raw in any version of Photoshop Elements does not have all of the functionality available.  It is that way by design.  You could consider Lightroom.  It will handle all types of images, and you could use your old Photoshop for rudimentary pixel editing when necessary.  Or, upgrade to Photoshop CS4.  The Camera Raw plug-in is very robust and would probably save you a lot of time, as would Lightroom.  Unfortunately, your version of Photoshop is so old that it will not qualify for upgrade pricing.  But if you are serious about shooting raw images you definitely are going to have to purchase something new.