7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2009 9:31 AM by the_wine_snob

How do I repair a corrupted file?

zjimbo Level 1

(CS3)

Being new to all this, I did not realize you could not change a file name. Well I did, and now a portion of my project has a corrupt file.

I renamed it back to the original file name (I only changed one letter from 36 to #6) but it still did not work.

Is there a way to get this file fixed - and how?

Thanks Jim

• 1. Re: How do I repair a corrupted file?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Changing file names normally isn't a problem.  What type of file was it you changed?

• 2. Re: How do I repair a corrupted file?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Jim (the other one), that renaming files should not create this issue. At worst, you should get a Media Offline/File Not Found error, and you can easily cure that.

I do not usually rename files, after they have been Imported into a Project, but in the few instances where I have, simply relinking to the newly renamed file cures the issue.

If your Project file has become corrupted, first step to try would be to Import that Project into a new one. Just create a New Project with the same Preset, and choose Import Project. Once its in your New Project, open its Bins, find the Timeline and Dbl-click on it to Open it.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do I repair a corrupted file?
              zjimbo Level 1

Thanks I'll give that a try. I am sorry I am so ingorant about this stuff. I can't even answer a question as to what type of file it was. I indeed have a lot to learn. Thnaks again Jim

• 4. Re: How do I repair a corrupted file?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As for the file type, there are several "types" of Assets. These are things like AV (Audio Video) files, such as .AVI, .MPEG, .MOV, etc. They can be still images, such as .PSD, .BMP, .PNG, etc. One can also have Audio files, like .WAV, .MP3, etc. There are others, but these are probably the most common.

Is this renamed file an AV file, a still image, or an Audio file?

One option, if your workflow is like mine, is to just replace that problem file in the sub-folder, where it was Imported from. As I work with copies of all Assets (excepted Captured footage), and organize them within my Project's folder structure, if a WAV gets messed up, I just go back to the location, where that original file is stored, and copy it over to the Project's Audio folder. Now, if you are working with the original, there might be some problems.

Knowing what type of file it is, can be useful to us, in directing you how best to proceed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How do I repair a corrupted file?
                  zjimbo Level 1

I had to resort to what I can do. It is not a big job. I recaptured the

short clip, with the correct file name and reedited it in the project.

I am now inspired to research a Sight to learn the jargon of this

profession. I do know my file was an AV file.

I will press on so hopefully I can discuss these matters a little more

knowledgeable.

Thanks Once again for your help and inspiration.

Jim

• 6. Re: How do I repair a corrupted file?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    I do know my file was an AV file.

That actually means very little.  It's like saying your project is a movie when asked what kind of project.  Sure a 'movie' narrows it down some, but is it a comedy, drama, romance, sci-fi, horror, thriller, suspense, period piece, musical, biography, etc?  Likewise, there are many kinds of AV files - AVI, MOV, MPEG, MP4, M2T, M2TS, MKV, WMV, etc.

Further, just like you can have different kinds of comedy (romantic comedy, screwball comedy, slapstick, dramedy, etc.), there can be different kinds of video inside many of those AV files.  For example, an AVI file could contain Uncompressed, DV, Divx, or many other types of video.

There is much to know here, which is why I generally recommend some type of formal education before one embarks on any type of video production effort.

• 7. Re: How do I repair a corrupted file?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I do know my file was an AV file.

This ARTICLE might give you some insight into AV file types. Most file types are just "wrappers," and their contents can vary all over the place.

Good luck,

Hunt