8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2009 9:06 AM by Msvossmd

Sticker Design - circular cutting guide?!

unbornchikkenvoice

Hey,

I am doing a circular sticker design to be printed - how do I send this to the printers with a circular cutting guide?

Thanks,

Annie x

• 1. Re: Sticker Design - circular cutting guide?!
          KC29 Level 3

If that was mine I'd do a few things.

Put crop/register marks on the artwork so that the printer knows where the centre of the artwork is.

Tell the printer the diameter of the item (assuming its circular)

You have a black line around the design. Is that line to be printed? or is it just so that anyone can see where the item stops. Make sure everyone knows if it's to be printed or not

Speak to whoever is printing it to find out if they need anything else

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sticker Design - circular cutting guide?!
            unbornchikkenvoice Level 1

Hey,

Thanks for your reply.

The circle is not to be printed - it is just to show where it should stop.

I know how to do crop marks for rectangular / square objects, shall I just do the same for the circle?

Sorry, I'm not so good with these things!

Annie

• 3. Re: Sticker Design - circular cutting guide?!
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Annie,

The circle is not to be printed - it is just to show where it should stop.

Anything not to be printed should be made non printable; you may place it on a non printing layer. Better safe than sorry.

I know how to do crop marks for rectangular / square objects, shall I just do the same for the circle?

You may, and/or you may create short paths outside the artwork pointing at the centre.

As KC says, talk to your printer. Maybe the Artboard is guidance enough.

• 4. Re: Sticker Design - circular cutting guide?!
                Mario Arizmendi Level 3

Yo can do this to safetly handle this situation

1. Make a new layer and give it a logical name, something like DieCut or whatever, doble click on the layer's name and uncheck the print option, this makes this layer unprintable. (The layer's name show in Italic) Move only the circle to this layer.

2. Make a new color swatch any color you want but defined as a Spot Color and paint the circle with that color, give a logical name too. I used DieCut the same as to the layer.

This will be enough to any body to recognize that circle it is not part of the design. click on the picture to see it larger. You can add crop marks, this can help too.

Picture 8.png

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Sticker Design - circular cutting guide?!
                  unbornchikkenvoice Level 1

Hey,

Thanks a lot for your help!

When I saved it as a pdf the guide didn't come up, not sure why this may be?

Annie x

• 6. Re: Sticker Design - circular cutting guide?!
                    Mario Arizmendi Level 3

Don't panic...

It is because of the print option unchequed on the layer, (The same occurs when there is one layer hidden) so in this case, check that option again, anyway, if you are sending the pdf to a service bureau, they should know that circle is not part of the design.

• 7. Re: Sticker Design - circular cutting guide?!
                      Steve Fairbairn Level 5

I always have die lines printable but in a homemade spot colour called "Cutter" or Die" or something.

There's no need to have them on a separate layer but do be sure to set them to OVERPRINT if the design bleeds. Otherwise they will knock out anything underneath them. This is very important.

• 8. Re: Sticker Design - circular cutting guide?!
                        Msvossmd

Untitled-2.jpgOn a technical level you don't need to worry about the cut line printable or not. The cut line is printer specific as to how the cut line is created and recognized. As I do my own creating and printing and cutting I download swatch tables designed for my RIP program that allow me to create the cut lines I need to adapt to artwork. If you know what system your Printer is using it may be helpful for you to have a particular swatch table, but I'll bet they prefer to do it themselves.