16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2009 9:24 AM by the_wine_snob

PP won't de-interlace finished sequence. Help!

Tloberg

I just finished editing a 1 hour 2 camera shoot in PP2.0. I went to export through the Adobe Media Encoder as I have always done. Selected MPEG2-DVD at 7mb and also checked the "Deinterlace" in the output box.  Interesting enough, usually I see the interlacing "combs" disappear in the sample video frame shown in the output screen as soon as I click on "de-interlace".  Now it isn't showing the change and, sure enough, the encoded mpeg file is NOT deinterlaced. I have almost always checked the "de-interlace" box at output and it has worked fine.

I have never had a problem with this before.  The only out-of-the ordinary deal with this project is that the sequence I'm trying to export is the edited 2 camera sequence. If I nest that sequence into a new sequence to make it all one clip and try to select "Field Options" to de-interlace it, It doesn't allow me to select "fielid options".   If I use try to use Topaz to DI the clip it's saying it will take about 21 hours to DI. I've almost always de-interlaced at output and have never run into this before and I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas about what's going on.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: PP won't de-interlace finished sequence. Help!
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I never understand people that intentionally throw away half their vertical resolution by deinterlacing. They don't seem to understand that every Hollywood DVD is made in an interlaced wrapper.

• 2. Re: PP won't de-interlace finished sequence. Help!
            Tloberg Level 1

Harm,

I've understood that De-interlacing has been the only way to rid the video of the combing "jaggies" associated with display on LCD screens and when there's significant horizontal motion in the video.  Is there some other way to eliminate the combing effect without sacrificing resolution?

• 3. Re: PP won't de-interlace finished sequence. Help!
              Harm Millaard Level 7

This does not apply to computer monitors, but every TV has it's own algorithm to deinterlace and will probably do a much better job than PR. For computer monitors I would use Flash or WMV, typically for use on PC screens. For TV there have been extensive threads by Dan Isaacs and Jim Simon on how to deinterlace with AviSynth and other freeware, resulting in much better quality. Do a search for articles by either of them, but I would start with Dan's name. Jim posts so often, you will be lost in everything he has responded to.

• 4. Re: PP won't de-interlace finished sequence. Help!
                Tloberg Level 1

Harm, So are you saying that the DI options within PP are no good or should be avoided now?  It was through the forum a couple of years back that I was encouraged to deal with "jaggies" in this fashion.

Always open to better and faster techniques. DI through PP output has always been quick and easy.

• 5. Re: PP won't de-interlace finished sequence. Help!
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Deinterlacing through Premiere has always been less than spectacular.  Any Blu-ray player or HDTV will do a better job.  Leave your videos interlaced.

• 6. Re: PP won't de-interlace finished sequence. Help!
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    Harm, So are you saying that the DI options within PP are no good or should be avoided now?

Yes. Like Jim said you are better off leaving it interlaced and letting your DVD/BR player of TV handle that.

• 7. Re: PP won't de-interlace finished sequence. Help!
                      Tloberg Level 1

I appeciate the advice.  I'd love to skip the DI step however this video is a seminar speaker and most likely to be viewed on PC screens, most likely LCD.

If there's anything that annoys me to no end, it's watching a video that has the interlaced "jaggies" throughout. If every player/LCD had a DI button, that would be great.  Previous Forum "experts" recommended: "When in doubt, de-interlace".  If it makes any difference to this discussion, the source material was SD 4:3.  I haven't done much HD yet but I would imagine that HDV 30i would resolve this DI problem.

Is there a complete tutorial/article somewhere explaining the recommended procedures/practices regarding de-interlacing?

Thanks,

Tim

• 8. Re: PP won't de-interlace finished sequence. Help!
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Seminar speakers are not the most dynamic kind of shots, they usually are pretty static so the whole interlacing issue is not that important, is it?

If it is dynamic, de-interlacing will give you a fuzzy, stuttering look. Is that what you want?

• 9. Re: PP won't de-interlace finished sequence. Help!
                          Tloberg Level 1

Harm,

You make it clear you have an anti-DI agenda without really addressing the questions I have posted.

Maybe someone else out there has some constructive input.

To address your last post, I have de-interlaced much of my recent work, including VERY dynamic foreign country documentaries without any stuttering fuzziness or other distractions.  On the contrary, a seminar speaker who is moving around and actively gesturing with his arms can be very annoying if one regularly see's jagged lines along the border of his hands, arms and head as he moves about.

Now, if you have some constuctive suggestions on how to eliminate the jaggies in other ways besides DI, I'd be happy to hear them. I don't consider ignoring them a viable option if I want to produce quality videos.

I know what has worked for me in the past, and not claiming to be an expert, I am open to learning more of the various complexities of the PP NLE. The most helpful information I have to go on was provided to me 4 or 5 years ago, I believe by Steven Gotz, who suggested the DI solution to combing and "jaggies". If there's new solutions then lets hear them. Otherwise, being a realist and a fairly practical guy, I tend to use procedures that have worked before.

My original post queried as to if anybody had an idea why the normal function in PP was not working this time.  I was not looking for a debate on the merits of DI.

Respectfully,

Tim

• 10. Re: PP won't de-interlace finished sequence. Help!
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            most likely to be viewed on PC screens, most likely LCD.

Are you making computer files, or DVDs?

• 11. Re: PP won't de-interlace finished sequence. Help!
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Tim,

In post #3 I have given you what to look for. That is a far better approach than using PR.

• 12. Re: PP won't de-interlace finished sequence. Help!
                                Tloberg Level 1

Jim, I'm making DVD's.

Tim

• 13. Re: PP won't de-interlace finished sequence. Help!
                                  Tloberg Level 1

Harm,

Thanks for the leads on DI options.  I will check them out.

By the way, it's been a while since I have dropped by the Forum. I'm getting used to the new layout but what's the deal with the points for answered questions? Can you trade in the points for Adobe programs? ;-)

I briefly looked around for some explanations of the new Forum rules but didn't find anything.  Where does it explain such minutia?

Thanks,

Tim

• 14. Re: PP won't de-interlace finished sequence. Help!
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

According to rumor some people with the most points will get invited to Adobe HQ in San Jose (on their own expense of course, you know Adobe) and will be invited to their cafetaria and get a free lunch, as well as 5 minutes to tell Adobe what they messed up, what they missed and what needs to be improved. The more points you have, the better the chance that the lunch may include a Maine lobster. Bill is so far ahead of anybody else, that he can possibly pick the wine.

Further use of the points is that you get preferential treatment with upgrades, meaning you are amongst the first to pay the invoice and then will be placed at the end of the waiting list. The reason is that people that spend so much time on the forum have less time to use the program, so this is a good way for less experienced people to catch up.

• 15. Re: PP won't de-interlace finished sequence. Help!
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Jim, I'm making DVD's.

Then I'd recommend leaving the footage interalaced.  It'll look better on any real TV, and computer software players will have their own deinterlacing options for those who watch it that way.

• 16. Re: PP won't de-interlace finished sequence. Help!
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        Bill is so far ahead of anybody else, that he can possibly pick the wine.

You know, if we get that Maine Lobser lunch, I will bring the wine for EVERYBODY!

Loved your last paragraph - that was a real hoot. Well done.

Hunt