22 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2009 7:30 AM by the_wine_snob

Vob Video Converting

Jack Ariaz

First time posting, as I've just installed and started using Premiere Pro CS4... and yes I've looked around here at the other answers to this.  As the title states, I am having trouble with converting my vob files to avi or mpeg. I've tried renaming the file's extension, but it doesn't work properly. I've tried several free converters: womble, dvddecrypter, auto gordian knot, video converter, avc-free, altysoft, virtualdub, and a few others, but the audio is off and the video hiccups. The most success I've had has been with Movavi or avs4you, but they leave watermarks and I would have to buy the program to rid myself of those marks (college student in california, enough said). I read that premiere doesn't have support for vob because they are dvd files, but I need to edit the videos.

The files are from my cousin's Canon DC220 camcorder. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Vob Video Converting
          the_wine_snob Level 9

PrPor has full support for DVD-compliant .VOB's, as of the CS4.1 update. Have you updated? Does it still not work for you?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Vob Video Converting
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you some background on .VOB's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Vob Video Converting
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For the Audio OOS issues, this ARTICLE will give you some tips on fixing those. Even with the tips, it would be best to get a perfect MPEG-2 extracted from the .VOB. Personally, if you can do that (should you NOT be able to edit it in CS4.1), I would next convert to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHHz 16-bit PCM/WAV, and Import that. However, it seems that getting that perfect MPEG-2 is eluding you.

As of the "hiccups" in the Video, there might not be a good, or an easy fix.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Vob Video Converting
                Jack Ariaz Level 1

I do not know how to tell or whether or not my vob files fall under compliance or not. I am updated (4.1.0). When I load the file it will play for six seconds perfectly, but it does not play the other five minutes...

• 5. Re: Vob Video Converting
                  Jack Ariaz Level 1

Must have been typing as you posted. Reading those right now, thanks you.

• 6. Re: Vob Video Converting
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I checked out a review of your cousin's Canon, expecting to see something about a rudimentary Menuing function, but did not see mention of that. Still, there was little info on exactly what it's process for writing to the DVD might be. I would guess that if CS4.1 cannot work with that/those .VOB(s), there is something that is NOT DVD-compliant with it's output.

Maybe tell your cousin to take some of the $ that he/she saved on the camera should go towards a copy of Movavi or avs4you.

Now, one way to address this would be to hook up a DVD player to a miniDV tape camera, and record that DVD to tape. Then, Capture that tape in PrPro.

Another, similar way would be to hook up a DVD player to an A-D bridge, or capture card, use that device's software to capture from the DVD (note: you will not have device control, but can hit Record, then Play on the DVD player) to DV-AVI Type II and Import that into PrPro. This would be just like what one would do with a VHS tape.

As you can see, some .VOB's can be very problematic.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Vob Video Converting
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I am updated (4.1.0). When I load the file it will play for six seconds perfectly, but it does not play the other five minutes...

Jack,

If your .VOB Imported into PrPro, then it should play properly. If it does not, that might indicate a problem from the camera. As I mentioned up thread, I did not get much on the specs. of the DVD that the Canon writes.

Let's do a test - does that DVD play fully on a set-top player, or on the computer via a DVD software player? I assume that it plays in the camera, but that might not mean that other devices can handle it.

Also, have you copied the .VOB(s) to your HDD, or are you trying to Import directly from the computer's DVD drive? If you have NOT copied it over, try that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Vob Video Converting
                        Jack Ariaz Level 1

I have the Video_TS folder on my HDD and I am importing them from there. The camera and dvd is down in LA right now with my cousin (they get back this evening). I'll try playing the dvd in our player when they get back.

• 9. Re: Vob Video Converting
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I have the Video_TS folder on my HDD and I am importing them from there.

Jack,

This is good, and the way to do it. Rules out one potential problem this way.

Now, until the disc get back to you, can you play the VIDEO_TS file on your computer via a DVD software player? Does it play fine there? This will not rule out some problem that CS4.1 is having with it, but would definitely show if there is a major problem with the .VOB.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Vob Video Converting
                            Jack Ariaz Level 1

Files work flawlessly in my player. Chapters, menu, and all.

• 11. Re: Vob Video Converting
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Chapters, menu, and all.

OK, that answers the question that I had, but could not find on any of the review sites. My guess would be that something about that Menuing scheme is the problem.

There is a utility, that I think is freeware, that strips out Menus from .VOB's. I'm blanking its name at the moment, but its something like PGCEdit. If you can "clean" up the .VOB, you might have better luck. Also Video Re-do [SP?] will strip out Menus, IIRC.

Here is an older ripping ARTICLE, and maybe something in it will help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Vob Video Converting
                                Jack Ariaz Level 1

I removed the menu/buttons as one of the guides instructed to do, but it sounded like it was dealing with the ifo files and not the vobs. I used Vobrator and IFO edit to see if that would work, but to no avail.

• 13. Re: Vob Video Converting
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jack,

Sounds like you have tried most of the "tricks." Did that DVD play on a set-top player fine?

It might be time to hook that Canon up to a friend's miniDV tape camera and either use it as a pass-through conduit, or just record to the tape. Then, you should be able to get that tape into PrPro for editing, via a FW Capture.

Some DVD material is just flat not meant to be directly edited - sorry. There has got to be a problem with the Menuing structure, that is messing you up.

Here's the link to PGCEdit.

It can strip out most Menus, often yielding a usable MPEG-2 file. There are several tutorials on the Web for this program too.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Vob Video Converting
                                    Jack Ariaz Level 1

Thanks for the continued help. How do I go about the miniDV/FW capture route?

• 15. Re: Vob Video Converting
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, this might take a few bottles of Pale Ale, but you need to find someone with a miniDV tape camcorder - friend, fraternity bro., relative, whatever.

Method #1, hook up your DVD player to the miniDV tape camcorder via the video and audio cables. Tunr on the miniDV camcorder, on Record, and then hit Play on the DVD deck. Monitor on the miniDV camcorder, and when done, turn it off. Hook it up to the computer via FireWire and use PrPro to Capture from that tape.

Method #2. hook up your DVD player to the miniDV tape camcorder via the video and audio cables. Now, put the miniDV camcorder into pass through mode (it must have this), and connect to the computer via that FW cable. Launch PrPro and put into Caputer mode. Play the DVD player and Capture through the miniDV tape camcorder.

Hope that something helps, and if you cannot get a miniDV camcorder, up the ante to a six-pack of Porter!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Vob Video Converting
                                        Jack Ariaz Level 1

I'll ask around for a miniDV player. I don't have FW, so is it possible to use usb?

• 17. Re: Vob Video Converting
                                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Jack Ariaz wrote:

I'll ask around for a miniDV player. I don't have FW, so is it possible to use usb?

No.

Are the VOB files interpreted correctly when Pr imports them?

Do all of the freeware programs you used produce the exact same result when you convert from .vob to something else?

What exactly did you choose as the export format and codec from the freeware programs?

The best thing to do when using the freeware programs is to export as separate.m2v and .wav files (also called elementary streams).

-Jeff

• 18. Re: Vob Video Converting
                                            Jack Ariaz Level 1

No, VOB files aren't interpreted correctly when imported to Pr.

Yes, they all ran into the same issue. Audio and video were out of sync and the video hiccuped at the beginning.

The export format was usually avi or mpeg.

• 19. Re: Vob Video Converting

What happens in Pr when you force the correct interpretation of the .vob files?

What codec was used to create the .avi file(s) from the converter programs?  Can you choose the export codec from any of those programs?

-Jeff

• 20. Re: Vob Video Converting
                                                Jack Ariaz Level 1

I'm sorry, I am not familiar with the terminology of your questions. What do you mean by "force the correct interpretation of the .vob files"? As far as codecs go, I'm not wise to them either (outside of using them to run videos different video formats like .mkv and the like). I can choose how I want them to be converted, avi, mpeg, wav, mov, etc.

Thanks for the help Jeff.

• 21. Re: Vob Video Converting

Jack Ariaz wrote:

What do you mean by "force the correct interpretation of the .vob files"?

Go to File | Interpret Footage and set the parameters to match the .vob files.

I can choose how I want them to be converted, avi, mpeg, wav, mov, etc.

AVI and MOV are formats.  They're like wrappers around a package.  AVI wrapping paper is Birthday paper, and MOV is Christmas paper.  If I ask someone to go get the birthday presents, then they know which ones to get because of the type of wrapping paper.

But it's what's inside that counts.  That's the codec.

AVI files usually contain codecs like DV, MJPEG, Lagarith, DivX, XviD, etc.  MOV files contain DV, AVC, Animation, Photo-JPEG, MP4, etc.

If you have a choice, Pr prefers DV .avi files.

-Jeff

• 22. Re: Vob Video Converting
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jack,

This ARTICLE will give you a bit more info, along the line of Jeff's comments. It also uses the "wrapper" analogy, but not in the colorful way that Jeff did. I like his analogy better, but the article is up, so it's not likely to be changed. I used the foil gum wrappers in mine...

Hope that this helps,

Hunt