3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2010 9:57 PM by guaripete

Adobe Reader 9.1.3:  Error Accessing Preferences

M C Crockett

I am running OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).  All disk drives are configured as Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled) drives.  I was able to install the Adobe Reader 9.1.3 by creating the following symlinks in /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Plug-ins.

Acroform.acroplugin -> AcroForm.plugin

Escript.acroplugin -> EScript.acroplugin

Unfortunately, this doesn't fix the problem that occurs when attempting to access Preferences which worked prior to the release of Adobe Reader 9.0.  Has anyone, including Adobe, been able to identify the resource(s) that trigger the "Failed to load an application resource (internal error)" message?

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.3:  Error Accessing Preferences
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Adobe software is not supported on a case-sensitive file system. It will not work properly.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.3:  Error Accessing Preferences
            M C Crockett Level 1

MikeKazlow wrote:

Adobe software is not supported on a case-sensitive file system. It will not work properly.

This sounds like a  statement that might be made by Adobe's Office of General Counsel.

The problem with the above statement is that Adobe never makes a declaration in their System Requirements document that Unix, Unix-based (Mac OS X), or Unix-like must use a file system that is case-insensitive. The claim that case-sensitive file systems are not supported only is revealed after Adobe has made an error in their release.

Anyway, your response doesn't address the question that I had.  What symlinks are needed to access the Reader Preferences without an error?

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.3:  Error Accessing Preferences
              guaripete

I managed to load Preferences by removing Comment, Multimedia and Update plug-in folders in Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Plug-ins. Found on Console that Adobe has problem loading the plug-ins. Probably is not the best solution, dont know yet what would be the consequences on pdf reading (no trouble yet viewing simple pdfs), but at least you could open Reader preferences.

I hope Adobe take a look into this.

Cheers.