3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2009 5:29 AM by Steve Grisetti

Saving the "correct" HD Videos

gedash99

OK, I have a new Canon rebel T1i that takes HD Video that knocks your socks off.

I have been trying to get PRE 7 to edit, add effects and overall enhance my videos.

PRE 7 is having a very tough time or at least it’s not user friendly to me. I have tried all the

MPG presets and not one seems to work or at least with the same quality I shot the video.

To add insult to injury when I save a mpg movie file I get some extension called an “m2t,”

What, what the heck is that. After several days of frustration, I download Quick Time Player Pro

For about a third of the cost of PRE 7 and within 2 hours I cut splice and save my videos in the

same gorgeous colors and clarity that I shot them. I have posted those movies on line and You Tube with no problem.

I really would like to use PRE 7 and all it extra features but for some reason all the videos I have saved look ok but not great. QTP Pro’s look great. What is the proper file format for saving videos in PRE 7……….great videos like QTP Pro plus tehy save my files in the same

movie format, not some other name.

Thank alan

• 1. Re: Saving the "correct" HD Videos
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Video from still cameras often employee codecs that are designed for compact storage and this video is not made to be edited.

Your camera records in H.264 MOV, a very challenging format for Premiere Elements to work with. Quicktime Pro, as you've seen, can handle these files easily, however, because this codec is part of Apple's codec library.

To convert the file to video which can be edited in Premiere Elements, save the files as DV-AVIs. DV-AVIs are the ideal format for use in Premiere Elements using the standard DV project preset.

• 2. Re: Saving the "correct" HD Videos
            gedash99 Level 1

Thank you for the response, in saving to another format will I retain the same quality and clarity as my original, or have I been spoiled with out hope?

thanks

alan

• 3. Re: Saving the "correct" HD Videos
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Using Quicktime Pro for the conversion and using DV-AVIs in Premiere Elements, you should get excellent results!

(Note that this will convert your video from hi-definition to standard definition video -- although, unless your output is to a BluRay disc, you'll find that standard DV gives you the most efficient workflow with the cleanest results.)