5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2009 8:26 PM by the_wine_snob

Unable to Select Narration and Soundtrack audio

GMan321

In my current project I am suddenly unable to select both the 'Narration' and 'Soundtrack' audio. It's like thay are locked. They can't be selected, moved, editied, or deleted. I can select and edit my other audio tracks associated with video. I've never had this problem before and I've been using Premiere Elemets 4 for quite awhile.

Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Unable to Select Narration and Soundtrack audio
          the_wine_snob Level 9

When you say Select and Edit these Audio Tracks, what do you mean?

Can you drag Audio Clips to them?

Do they appear in the Audio Mixer?

These two Tracks cannot be deleted, or moved. They are fixed. They can be populated with Clips, and the Levels can be adjusted. The Clips can be deleted, and have Aduio Effects added to them, but that is about all.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Unable to Select Narration and Soundtrack audio
            GMan321 Level 1

I can't do anything to the audio files I previously added (some .mp3 files).

I understand that I cannot delete the Narration and Soundtrack tracks from my timeline, as you say, they are always there. Narration and Soundtrack show up in the audio mixer BUT, they are greyed out (cannot change decible levels).

I cannot add new files to the Narration and Soundtrack track anymore.

• 3. Re: Unable to Select Narration and Soundtrack audio
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This is odd behavior, especially as PrE does not allow one to lock a Track. However, someone else had similar, and fairly recently. I'll see if I can find that thread and post a link to it.

In the meantime, can you tell us about your Project's Preset and a bit more about those MP3's. Obviously, they Imported fine. Do they play OK too?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Unable to Select Narration and Soundtrack audio
                GMan321 Level 1

Yes, the imported .mp3s play good. As far as project presets, I think everything is pretty much default. I haven't messed much with that stuff. Thank for confirming there is no 'Track Lock' feature which I didn't know about.

I did open one of the back-up files from a couple days back, and the Narration and Soundtrack tracks are selectable/editable. I'm afraid I will have to go back to one of those files and lose my work. This will make me cry of course.

FYI, using XP with updates, and a pretty strong computer, rebooted computer, and cursed a few times.

• 5. Re: Unable to Select Narration and Soundtrack audio
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Take a look at your Project's AutoSave files. Note: if you have not changed the default, you should have five for each Project. Do not be fooled into just choosing the 005 version. Change the Windows Explorer View to Details, and study the Time/Date closely. Another number between 001 and 005 could be newer. Check out that one.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful