10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2009 10:04 AM by TimeRemapper

AF layer planar rotation crop... =(

Luca'sWorks

Hi everybody! I'm new here, and I'm new to AF too...

I'm trying to create a dvd menù for encore from a .psd Photoshop file. I open the psd as composition in AF, save the project, and then I'd like a rotation animation (planar rotation, not 3d) to one of the layers. The layer is the rising sun as shown in the pic below:

risingsun.jpg

The layer in the psd file is bigger than the canvas size, because I knew i should rotate it. When i add a rotation animation in AF via keyframes tha layer spin, but it's cropped to the video size:

risingsun1.jpg

That's not cool, see?

How can i rotate the layer without crop it?

Thanks in advance for all your support.

• 1. Re: AF layer planar rotation crop... =(
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like you have imported the PSD layer at document size, rather than layer size.

Select the layer in the Project window, press Cmd/Ctrl H and re-select the PSD.  Be sure to choose "Layer Size", not "Document Size" from the subsequent dropdown menu.

• 2. Re: AF layer planar rotation crop... =(
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yupp, I agree with Andrew. If all else fails, import the document as a comp. This usually retains all the layers' original dimensions.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: AF layer planar rotation crop... =(
              Luca'sWorks Level 1

I've imported it as a composition. But the layer has been cropped. I've to told you that the layer was in a folder in Photoshop; importing the psd as composition, this folder is displayed as composition too. Could be this to cause the issue.

I've tried what andrew yoole suggested and it works. I insert the layer imported separately in the "folder-composition" in order to keep layers' order.

One more thing: how do i loop the animation?

Thank you!

• 4. Re: AF layer planar rotation crop... =(
                yenaphe Level 4

You can loop it with expressions. 2 choices for you:

Keep your keyframes and atthe this expression: loopOut("cycle");

or use this expression to rotate without any keyframes (on your rotation value): time*100

where the number is the speed of the rotation in value/second (here it will rotate 100 degrees per second)

• 5. Re: AF layer planar rotation crop... =(
                  Luca'sWorks Level 1

I'm trying the time*speed way, but AF seems to do not accept as value. I'm trying to insert the value in the rotation field under the transform section (expanding the layer); does this method work in AF CS3? Or do I need CS4 to use it?

For the other method (script), how can i add a script to the layer? It's my 2nd day using AF...

• 6. Re: AF layer planar rotation crop... =(
                    TimeRemapper Level 4

To apply an expression, you have to hold down option (mac) alt (windows) and click on the stopwatch next to the word "Rotation" in order to enable expressions.

Then, you would enter the expression that Sébastien has provided as an example into the newly activated field in the timeline area (expression field).

Being that this is your second day using AE, you could try to do the above, or you could pursue other options for looping.

While not as elegant as expressions, you could just set 2 keyrames, one a 0 degrees, and a second at 359 degrees.

Then, trim your layer to where your second keyframe is. Duplicate your layer as many times as needed, and then shift-select them all and sequence the layers.

Also, you may want to start relying on the Community Help, and Online Help Files for a vast amount of information and easy answers.

Both resources are absolutely invaluable to beginner and expert alike.

• 7. Re: AF layer planar rotation crop... =(
                      Luca'sWorks Level 1

Perfect.

Now, if I would like to burn my movie with this menu into both DVDs (mainly) and BlueRayDiscs (BDs), must I do the work twice? I mean, should I make all the work (importing, editing, mounting, encoding, menus and burning) once in 720x576 (PAL) and once in 1920x1080? Is it possible to do it just once, and leave to Premiere/Encore/AE the dirty work optimizing everything for the single support?

PS: i messed up with the answer buttons... hope you won't mind...! =D

• 8. Re: AF layer planar rotation crop... =(
                        TimeRemapper Level 4

You should build your comp/animation at the HD size (if you haven't already).

You could then either:

• render out an HD version (uncompressed/losslessly compressed), and transcode it to your destination formats

or

• render out and HD version, and nest your HD version in an anamoprhic PAL comp (scaling it down), and render out a PAL SD version as well.

You shouldn't render to comrpessed formats through AE.

Use Encore, or any other compression utility to do the compression work to h.264/mpeg2.

• 9. Re: AF layer planar rotation crop... =(
                          Luca'sWorks Level 1

Ok, i'm very glad to hear that. If I don't misunderstanding, I should shoot the scenes in H.264 1080/50i, and do ALL the work in CS3 (Ps, Pr, AE, En) as 1920x1080 uncroppessed. Then, when will be time to burn discs I'll leave everything to En for media optimization.

Now, i'm a bit corcened about my system (hardware) capability... They aren't definetly an High-End video editing machines...:

• Laptop [Vaio vgn-fz21m]:
                            • CPU: Intel Core2Duo t7250, 2GHz
                            • RAM: 2GB DDR2
                            • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT 512MB
                          • Desktop:
                            • CPU: Intel Pentium4_ht 2.8GHz
                            • RAM: 2.5GB DDR
                            • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FX5600 256MB

I'm not worried about the time to process such big files, neither storage. I'm afraid about the effective computing capability of these two PCs. I don't want to waste all the time working on such heavy kind of files and when I will insert the disc in my BD-Player find out that the video (or audio) is skipping, flashing, un-synced or something else as bad (or worst...). Please remember that I have CS3, not CS4.

Should I give up with HD and simply go for SD only? I think i already know the answer unfortunately... Then (if I'll drop the HD version) should i record in 1080/50i (HD) anyway, or simply go for a 576/50p (SD)? My camcorder can also record in 720/50p (HD).

Thank you for all your precious advices! =)

PS: As soon as they will be released (whenever...) I'll purchase a QuadCore iMac (just rumors, but i believe in it). Maybe that can handle the work in HD, and maybe it can be in shops before I'll start shooting the movie.

• 10. Re: AF layer planar rotation crop... =(
                            TimeRemapper Level 4

Ideally, you'd shoot uncompressed, but that's mostly not an option for the average Joe.

Your desktop should be fine to work with HD footage, with the exception of needing some more RAM.

RAM is pretty cheap these days. You should upgrade it if you can (buy as much as your current OS/hardware will support).

The question arises as to whether or not you want HD material.

As you know, it takes longer to process, takes more drive space, etc...

If you want to have an HD result, then the answer is clear.

If you only want a DVD in the long run, you may consider saving the effort, and staying SD.

It's ultimately your decision.